OMG, explosions near finish line of Boston Marathon :((

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Praying for everyone in Boston.. . :(sad

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart and thoughts go out to all those touched and affected by the bombing. I almost cried seeing the victims in wheelchairs sans limbs being rushed to medics on the news. It's unspeakably horrifying. One day you are in the race, the next minute, your legs are gone. ;(

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ruby59|1366061238|3427527 said:
My son works in Boston not too far from there. Thankfully, they got the day off today because of the marathon.

It is a new era where it is just not safe to be at crowded events anymore

Glad your son is ok!

As for the bolded: I haven't felt safe attending a concert, ball game, or any other major event since 9/11. My husband thinks I'm a little paranoid, but every time we go to an event where there are thousands of people attending, I think to myself "gee, what an easy target we all are." I still go to stuff, but am always apprehensive that something could happen.

Last time I flew (about 2.5 months ago), I noticed that people are getting really relaxed about leaving their carry-on bags in the care of others. I had 4 flights total (one connection each way to SLC from Indy), and on BOTH connections/layovers, I witnessed a gentleman say to a person near me, "mind watching my bag for a minute? I'm just going to go grab a coffee/use the men's room." And the person, both times a female, happily obliged!!! VERY SCARY. It's like we've all become desensitized. I should've said something both times, but didn't for fear of making a scene. Shame on me. :nono:

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thoughts and prayers to all Americans. Especially those with friends and family who were there and those who were at 9/11 I am sure its bringing back terrible memories. I hope members of the Pricescope community and their loved ones are safe and well.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1366075963|3427671 said:
ruby59|1366061238|3427527 said:
My son works in Boston not too far from there. Thankfully, they got the day off today because of the marathon.

It is a new era where it is just not safe to be at crowded events anymore

Glad your son is ok!

As for the bolded: I haven't felt safe attending a concert, ball game, or any other major event since 9/11. My husband thinks I'm a little paranoid, but every time we go to an event where there are thousands of people attending, I think to myself "gee, what an easy target we all are." I still go to stuff, but am always apprehensive that something could happen.

Too true. Such a shame.

asscher_girl

Brilliant_Rock
What is this world coming to? It's so scary... I had 2 friends there as spectators (one of them ran it last year), they are both okay. Another friend's husband ran it today but finished very early and left right after, thank god. Prayers outgoing to all of those affected by this tragedy.

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw in a youtube comment that the man with both his legs blown off that Carlos Arredondo (cowboy hat dude) was helping has died. Are there any more reliable sources attesting to this than a youtube comment? I don't want it to be true. :(

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
Awful. Horrible. Disgusting. ;(

My thoughts are with all who are affected by this.

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
distracts said:
I saw in a youtube comment that the man with both his legs blown off that Carlos Arredondo (cowboy hat dude) was helping has died. Are there any more reliable sources attesting to this than a youtube comment? I don't want it to be true. :(
Was he the fellow in the wheelchair ashen faced? I heard on the news this evening that he had both legs amputated,but was alive,this was about 7pm EST

ruby59

Ideal_Rock
They did a piece on the man in the cowboy hat and his back story. He has been through a lot with one child dying in the war and another committing suicide.

The third person to die was a male grad student at a local university.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elisateach|1366156520|3428480 said:
distracts said:

Was he the fellow in the wheelchair ashen faced? I heard on the news this evening that he had both legs amputated,but was alive,this was about 7pm EST

There is a story about the victim and his father in, "The New York Times". I am posting an excerpt and a link.

"When Jeff Bauman woke up in a hospital bed on Tuesday, an air tube was down his throat, both of his legs had been amputated at the knee, and his father was by his side. He tried to talk, but he could not.

He looked angry, as he motioned his arms up and out like shock waves and mouthed: 'Boom! Boom!'

Jeff Bauman is the man in the photograph that has become an icon of the Boston Marathon attack, the one showing a bloodied, distraught young man, holding his left thigh, being wheeled away by a man in a cowboy hat. If the world could not identify him immediately, Mr. Bauman’s father — also named Jeff Bauman — certainly could.

That was his son with his legs destroyed, wearing a favorite shirt. That was his son."

In Grisly Image Father Sees His Son...http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/17/us/in-grisly-image-a-father-sees-his-son.html?_r=0

Deb/AGBF
:read:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My heart is broken for all these people. My eyes are swollen from crying and no sleep. There will never be any peace for those who lost loved ones. So many tragedies all over the world. It's so overwhelming. Keeping all those affected in my prayers and hoping they find some solace in the fact that so many people are crying with them. :(sad

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The third victim has now been identified as a Chinese citizen who was a graduate student at Boston University. The Chinese consulate says that they will not reveal her name at the request of her family. At least I think that is the story.

AGBF

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So sad!

A's aunt lives right there in Boston along the marathon route. She sent me some pictures just outside their house from the early morning when everything was so beautiful and festive. Thankfully, I was able to get through to her soon after the explosions. Her sister (A's mom) tried desperately to reach her later and couldn't. We were lucky enough to know she and her husband were safe before we had to explain to a 13-year old what had happened. She asked such basic questions -- Who? WHY??

L sent me an e-mail just a few minutes ago. She says it "is a grieving city".

My thoughts are still on all of those who were there yesterday. I hope everyone recovers quickly and is able to receive the support they need to deal with such a horrendous event.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the sentiments, TooPatient. I keep hearing sirens go past and it makes me jump. I never noticed them before. It's very uneasy here. I don't know any of the injured personally so I am not grieving personally - well, I don't think I know them. Time will tell. I'm horrified by events and feel absolutely terrible for all the injured and their families, but don't want to take away from their pain by pretending I'm as affected as they are.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I ran Boston last year and have a bunch of friends who either ran, volunteered, or spectated this year. Thankfully, everyone I know emerged unscathed. The photos, videos, and stories that have since surfaced have been horrifying. It is hard for be to believe that anyone would want to target such a happy and non-controversial event.

A fund has been created by the governor of MA and the mayor of Boston to help the people most affected by the bombing: http://onefundboston.org/

Please consider donating $26.2. If you're a runner, please keep running to show that terror has not won.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
distracts|1366082167|3427760 said:

This man is Jeff Bauman, and as far as we know, he is still alive. I also heard that report, but thus far, it doesn't appear to be true, thank goodness. That poor, poor man. You can barely imagine, can you.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1366216997|3428989 said:

This man is Jeff Bauman, and as far as we know, he is still alive. I also heard that report, but thus far, it doesn't appear to be true, thank goodness. That poor, poor man. You can barely imagine, can you.

Smith
-

I put a link to an article about Jeff Bauman just above these postings of ours in this thread. If you want to read a little bit more about him, you can click on it. He's still alive, thank God!

Deb
:wavey:

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1366218854|3429013 said:
Smith1942|1366216997|3428989 said:

Smith
-

I put a link to an article about Jeff Bauman just above these postings of ours in this thread. If you want to read a little bit more about him, you can click on it. He's still alive, thank God!

Deb
:wavey:

Thanks for the link, Deb! I did read the article and quite a few others on him, but it's all coverage from yesterday. When I said he's still alive as far as we know, I meant that it's a new day today and he's in critical condition, so things can change very fast, but as of the afternoon of the 17th, he is still with us. I did hear that news report about him passing and it was wrong, thank goodness.

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Everyone has been so sweet and kind, sending good wishes to the city of Boston, the victims, the families, and everyone who lives here.

PS is a very wise and caring community. It's full of open-hearted people who are slow to judge and quick to understand, with none of the self-righteous breast-beating/bullying that often happens elsewhere on the internet. I suppose some people vent their issues by saying things anonymously that they wouldn't say to anyone in person. But that is unacceptable here. I know we usually use this symbol on SMTB, but these are for all of you:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1366224829|3429095 said:
AGBF|1366224129|3429086 said:

But when I clicked on the link, it said no arrests have been made :confused: The story must have changed really quickly.

Indeed. Apparently everyone rushed to the courthouse. This is an excerpt from an article about what occurred.

"And in Boston, the John Joseph Moakley United States Courthouse was evacuated in the afternoon by officials calling out 'code red,' and bomb-sniffing dogs were sent inside.

The courthouse was swarming with scores of journalists from around the world, who had been brought there by rumors — reported early Wednesday afternoon by several news organizations but forcefully denied by the F.B.I. and the Boston Police Department — that an arrest had been made in the case. One of those evacuated, Dave Greenup, 58, who works at a restaurant inside the courthouse, said: 'For the past couple days, I have been in a daze. All of a sudden, we get this evacuation thing. Every time we turn around now, there’s something. I was really hoping they caught somebody. You want closure.'

At about 4:15 p.m., court employees were allowed back into the courthouse."

AGBF

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
It's just too early for any firm answers. Rumours are swirling, fuelled by the internet.

Time was, the likes of Walter Cronkite (or Trevor McDonald if you're British) delivered a moderate, balanced, truthful message that you could rely on, and their voice of reason was the prevailing voice. Nowadays media coverage is just a complete bunfight. That thing about Jeff Bauman having died? Imagine if his friends and family heard that - they'd have panicked, and it wasn't even true.

I'm not really following events right now as it's all changing too fast.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Smith1942|1366242826|3429337 said:
It's just too early for any firm answers. Rumours are swirling, fuelled by the internet.

Time was, the likes of Walter Cronkite (or Trevor McDonald if you're British) delivered a moderate, balanced, truthful message that you could rely on, and their voice of reason was the prevailing voice. Nowadays media coverage is just a complete bunfight. That thing about Jeff Bauman having died? Imagine if his friends and family heard that - they'd have panicked, and it wasn't even true.

I agree with you, but I am afraid that one cannot lay the blame on modern reporters any more than we can place laurels on the heads of the likes of Walter Cronkite or Trevor McDonald. There have always been irresponsible muckrakers and solid, sincere journalists. What has changed is the medium through which the journalists are communicating. When they had to do it through print, there was more time to check their facts before they were published. (Dewey still won over Truman, of course.) With the Internet, stories go out instantaneously.

AGBF

Smith1942

Ideal_Rock
Well, the likes of Cronkite earned their laurels over decades of balanced reporting (being balanced on complex issues takes effort, integrity, and a special kind of intelligence) and yes while the other kind of journalist has always existed, they had less opportunity to be irresponsible before the internet. With the immediacy of the internet, the less trustworthy news sources can disseminate rumour and innuendo across the world so fast that rumour becomes fact which becomes urban legend, in the twinkling of an eye. And I didn't just mean journalists: Since everyone is a journalist these days (everyone can have a blog or a Twitter account, including some celebs who have lots of influence and a big platform but no real substance) all manner of people with all manner of agendas are able to spread stories, true, half-true, or fiction. The internet gives them lots of power but very little accountability.

Journalists/the journaling public write things online they would never say to anyone's faces, and things they would never say if their face and name was in a national print column, and their livelihood at the newspaper depended on their accuracy and integrity. The net takes all those controls away. So I read the Wall Street Journal only, and not even that thoroughly since they are not entirely devoid of hysteria themselves. When standards are so low anyway (in the general media) the median standard is dragged down.

So there are many factors as to why the media, in its many varieties, is such a bunfight these days and there are very few balanced, reliable sources. Notes of hysteria sound way too often, compared to the good 'ole days. Trial by media is undemocratic and can be very cruel. What about that poor young Saudi national who was pictured in the media, complete with his full name, in connection with being arrested as a suspect for the bombings. But he was just an injured victim. His name and image were everywhere as a suspect, the poor, poor kid.

These are the reasons why I'm not taking too much notice of the coverage at the moment. It will take time for the real facts to come out.

It almost makes you long for the Fifties and the soothing voice of a Clonkite on the wireless with a family gathered round after their 5pm evening meal! Not for nothing was he called "the most trusted man in America". He can't have been perfect - he was human, after all - but next to the sheer cacophony of today's internet, he seems like Dumbledore!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1366375165|3430372 said:
More info. One suspect dead and there is a manhunt going on for the other (his 19 year old brother). Whole city of Boston is on lockdown. Public transportation is suspended as is all taxi service. People of Boston and surrounding suburbs are being asked to stay inside their homes and not open the door for anyone they don't know.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/19/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-boston-bombing/2095953/

I started a separate thread on this. My great-nephew lives in Watertown (and works in Cambridge) and is in the middle of the affected area. He is locked down.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1366381221|3430413 said:
missy|1366375165|3430372 said:
More info. One suspect dead and there is a manhunt going on for the other (his 19 year old brother). Whole city of Boston is on lockdown. Public transportation is suspended as is all taxi service. People of Boston and surrounding suburbs are being asked to stay inside their homes and not open the door for anyone they don't know.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/04/19/dzhokhar-tsarnaev-boston-bombing/2095953/

I started a separate thread on this. My great-nephew lives in Watertown (and works in Cambridge) and is in the middle of the affected area. He is locked down.

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

Hi Deb, I hope your great-nephew stays safe and that a quick resolution is accomplished without any other innocent people being harmed. I am watching news coverage right now and it seems that the people who knew the younger brother said they are quite shocked he was involved. They said he was so personable and social and would never have imagined he could do this. That is so scary to me. Not to even have had a clue someone could be so evil.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results