shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG, an OEC!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I''m a bad girl. I''m supposed to be saving for a wedding and honeymoon, but the desire to own an OEC has been eating me alive! Jewels by Erica Grace has an awesome transitional cut ring that I''ve been eyeing, but it was above my comfortable price range. So yesterday I found this little ring on ebay, put in an offer, and it was accepted! The stone is supposedly 0.25 ct, J/K color and VS clarity, and the seller mentioned that it has a lot of fire. I''m excited about seeing the warmth of the color in an OEC.

More pics to come when it arrives, but here''s a teaser...

jstar-oecring01.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
A profile view showing the great high crown! It''s hard to tell from the photos, but it looks like it might have a pretty open culet too.

jstar-oecring5.jpg

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks beautiful, I can''t wait to see pictures.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
How exciting! Can''t wait to see it on your hand!

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s very pretty! I like the prongs a lot.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Very pretty! I love that high crown.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is so cool! I want to get an OEC, OMC, tradictional stone...can you tell us what percent of the price you offered
(which was accepted). I never know what to offer or how low you can go. I know it all depends and I''m just gonna
have to take my chances one of these days
2.gif

Congrats on your oldie but goodie!

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous! I can''t wait to see your photos when you get it. I also love the high crown. Yum!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone! Can''t wait to see the photos.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, ladies! I can''t wait either.

Date: 3/10/2009 7:27:41 PM
Author: tyty333
That is so cool! I want to get an OEC, OMC, tradictional stone...can you tell us what percent of the price you offered (which was accepted). I never know what to offer or how low you can go. I know it all depends and I''m just gonna have to take my chances one of these days
2.gif

Congrats on your oldie but goodie!

Ty, the buy-it-now was listed at $350 and shipping at $12, so I offered $288 to get the whole thing to come to $300. I expected it not to be accepted because to me that''s a fairly substantial decrease, but it was!!! Based on the price of loose 0.25/J/VS round diamonds online, I think I got a decent deal. The diamonds alone tend to run around $300...granted, those are with AGS or GIA certs and this one is uncerted. So I didn''t get a steal, but I think it was a fair price.

These 2 were also in the running for me, but I didn''t buy them because the sellers have no return policy. The seller of the one I bought ("lonestarestates") has a 7-day no questions asked policy.

Adorable little ring

Beautiful design and substantial stone

The latter was probably my favorite of the three, but I couldn''t take the chance on $525 without a return policy. But if one of you is brave enough to take the plunge, you could end up with a great ring.

ladymentha

Shiny_Rock
ohhh pretty...

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
What a pretty ring!! That stone looks like a beauty, can''t wait to see your pics!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
It looks lovely - can''t wait to see the pics of the ring IRL!!

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lovely! I just adore antique stones! Can''t wait to see it!

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
I love this kind of ring! Can''t wait to see more pics!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, I love it...I love the stone and the yellow gold!
I look forward to your pictures when it arrives!

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks gorgeous! I can''t wait to see more pics!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! I love it! I need to go check ebay...I can''t wait to see your pics of it!!!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is such a pretty ring! I love the prongs too!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all the details jstar! I love that last one too for $525 but I''m not liking the no return policy either. I
think I need to be looking for a loose stone because I think I want to put it in a pendant so...no need to pay
for the extra setting if I dont have to.

I do love the idea of wondering what all these old rings/stones have been through.
4.gif

Enjoy your new sparkely!

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
What a pretty stone!! Congrats on your find. I hope you love it! Please share pictures!!!

Tyty, there are several loose stones available on sites other than ebay. Take a look around!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks to all of you! The ring has been sized and shipped yesterday. It''s coming to PA from TX, so I''m guessing it will take at least until Monday or Tuesday. Can''t wait!

Ty, check out this site for some really nice old cut diamonds. I chose this one from ebay in particular because it looked beautiful, fit into my budget, and required almost no effort on my part (already set in a setting I like, free sizing, good return policy). But there are of course other places to buy old cut diamonds...Old World Diamonds, Jewels By Erica Grace, and Singlestone come to mind. Good luck!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
It''s here! I can''t believe shipping from Dallas to Philly only took 2 days!

It''s described as an OEC as I mentioned, but I''m actually having trouble deciding whether it''s an OEC or an OMC. I''ll post a few pics...the quality is horrible but they were the best I could get! I think my digital camera is about as old as the ring.
3.gif

Here''s one through my loupe.

jstar-oldcut1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And another showing the open culet (YUM! Just yum!)...and the pavilion facet pattern, which is more reminiscent of an OMC to me.

jstar-oldcut4.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Profile shot showing the high crown.

jstar-oldcut5.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
From farther away...

jstar-oldcut2.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
And the best handshot I can get with poor lighting and an old camera.

jstar-oldcut3.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
So...I'm not an expert, but to me, the crown looks OEC (see the kite-shaped facets?), and the pavilion looks OMC (the cross-shaped pattern in the center). It's also more round than I'd expect an OMC to be. Either way, it has lots of fire and great old-world charm. And although it's barely perceptible to me, the warmth of the color is really nice in an old cut.

Rhea

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It''s a beauty! I really like the setting, the squared look with the triple prongs makes it look bigger.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, Addy!

Can any of you experts weigh in on what type of cut this actually is? Is it an OEC as described, or more like an OMC?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results