shape
carat
color
clarity

Omega chain Outdated or Classic?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know how to do a poll but I want all of your opinions please. I don''t wear necklaces much because I don''t really like the ones I own. I''m thinking of buying a 16" reversible Omega Necklace to wear alone or with pendants.

1) Are Omegas outdated?

2) Are Omegas only popular with women of a certain age?

3) Are Omegas a classic?

Thank you for helping me!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
I think it really depends on the pendant.
If the pendant is ''80s looking, the omega chain will look dated.

I also like omega chains because they keep a nice round shape on the neck, instead of hanging into a "V" shape. For somepeopl it is just more flattering.

Personally, I like a very thin white gold omega chain with a simple pendant and to me it looks current.

wonder what others think??

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
I agree I think a very narrow white gold or platinum omega chain is gorgeous and very current looking for a pendant at any age. However I can't stand the sight of my old thick yellow gold omega chains anymore!!! And I am one of those women of a certain age!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know the Omega but for some reason cannot picture it right this minute...do you have a picture?

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for your replies!

I don''t know how to post photos but stuller has several on their website.

http://www.stuller.com

They are different mm widths.

What do you think thin is?

Of course I could just go with a chain but they seem too thin and likely to break. I plan on having a large pendant made.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love omegas. I don''t own one yet but I do think that having a ''dated'' look depends on the pendant. Otherwise, I think they''re timeless!

imagesomega1.jpg

conitta

Shiny_Rock
I think it is whatever you like and looks best with the pendent you choose.I have a really neat omega I bought at a trunck show and have never seen another one like it. It is yellow gold (would like to have a white gold one too) 2mm, 16" long and the end with the spring ring screws off so you can use it with smaller bails.If it did not do this I would not be able to use this Tanzanite pendent.
Just love it. Maybe some of you have seen one like this.

myomega.JPG

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they are kind of dated honestly.
Not that they arent pretty...

Box chains are timeless and my favorite.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
i agree strmrdr. i find them a bit dated.

widget

Ideal_Rock
I think omegas are classic and timeless....They're a great option for clothes with certain necklines.

(Conitta: I've never seen that removeable clasp before....what a brilliant idea!)

widget

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Classic.

IMO, as long as they are not too wide. The "monster omegas" (10, 12, 14+ mm) seem a bit odd to me but anything from .25 to 6 or 8 mm in width are beautiful and timeless. I just saw a colleague in a great suit with a 4 mm 18k YG omega peeking out from around her neck and the affect is classy and elegant and not overdone whatsoever.

I am no expert but I think the whole notion of enhancers on omegas may be "dated" or have has its popularity peak in the 80s and 90s. That being said, if you love it, wear it. Your pieces are lovely and if you keep your other jewelry simple, I think it would still look nice with the right outfits.
1.gif

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the one that Conitta has!

Maybe I will look for something thin but very sturdy AARGH doesn''t that sound lovely?
26.gif

I am thinking of putting a large stone into a pendant and want something to hang it from.

Thanks everyone!

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
Conitta- that is brilliant! I saw an advertisement in last week''s Sunday paper that would be perfect on an omega with a claspo that is removeable. It may have been Mikkimoto. It was a very thin stiff rounded necklace with a few pearls and spacers covered in diamonds. There was definitely no room to fit the stones through a standard omega chain.

And the 2mm width is what I like.
If i run actoss the photo again, I''ll scan and post it.

I would hesitate to wear an omega wider than 2mm or in yellow gold.

But since I am "of a certain age" I guess I have permission to wear something even if it is dated! If I like it, who cares?

I am tall & rather narrow in my shoulders with a long neck and I find the round omega to be more flattering than a limp chain.

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Thanks to all of you. I really like this one and it has held up well and it is stury enough I don''t worry about it breaking.I wonder why we haven''t seen more made like this? I don''t like the wide ones as they are to clunky looking & Mr. T - ishy. Know what I mean...LOL!

But since I am "of a certain age" I guess I have permission to wear something even if it is dated! If I like it, who cares?

I agree 100%!!!!

Apsara

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 6:56:37 PM
Author: conitta

But since I am ''of a certain age'' I guess I have permission to wear something even if it is dated! If I like it, who cares?
YES! Right on, sister.
2.gif
1.gif

Diam100

Shiny_Rock
I wear mine every once & awhile. I have a very thin 16 inch and I could care less if someone thinks it''s dated. I wear my jewelry for me now clothes that''s another story.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I still like a medium omega to be worn with an enhancer or a nice mabe pearl pendant. If the pendant features a larger gem, I see no reason not to wear an omega. I don''t see it as an outdated necklace.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for all of your replies. I just wanted to let you know that I am "a woman of a certain age" but didn''t want to scream it with my jewelry. LOL

Maybe I''ll have the pendant made and then try it with a few different chains.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I''m 24 and have had my omega for a few years and still LOVE it. It''s 9kt yellow gold, 4mm, and I tend to wear my 1ctw heart on it, or if I''m wearing really elaborate earrings or a top with a busy neckline I just wear it alone. I''ve tried it on with big gemstone enhancers of every colour and they look fabulous, particularly largish square brilliant or checkerboard cut stones like peridot. Here''s a pic modeled by my gorgeous mum
9.gif

OmegaPendantPS.jpg

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2006 12:38:56 PM
Author: conitta
I think it is whatever you like and looks best with the pendent you choose.I have a really neat omega I bought at a trunck show and have never seen another one like it. It is yellow gold (would like to have a white gold one too) 2mm, 16'' long and the end with the spring ring screws off so you can use it with smaller bails.If it did not do this I would not be able to use this Tanzanite pendent.

Just love it. Maybe some of you have seen one like this.

This place has them. I''ve never ordered from them before so I''m not sure about the quality or price.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
I think Omega chains are quite classic especially in white gold. Here''s one of the pendants I wear mine with...

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry, forgot the attachment....

PinkTopAllO.JPG

conitta

Shiny_Rock
GossamerAngel....Where are the prices? I would love to have a 16" white gold one.I absolutley love my gold one.

dbgaap

Brilliant_Rock
thanks for the link!

I love the detach-able clasp!

sydneycasandra

Shiny_Rock
DiaDiva-

YUM to that beautiful pink enhancer! Forgive my ignorance, is that tourmaline? Gorgeous!

I think the thinner omegas are still up-to-date looking... the thicker ones will maybe experience a renaissance someday?

conitta

Shiny_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 4:04:17 PM
Author: GossamerAngel
Whoah.....why were my posts deleted? Or am I going crazy???
Don''t thing you are going crazy....if you are I am right there eith you cause I answered one of your posts!
32.gif

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
conitta, posts deleted were against the rules, trade member has dropped links to her affiliates.
Please in the futute do not discuss moderator's action on our forums - you just don't have the information for that.

Please re-read Policies.

LizzieC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/12/2006 5:00:59 PM
Author: AntiguaBride
DiaDiva-

YUM to that beautiful pink enhancer! Forgive my ignorance, is that tourmaline? Gorgeous!

I think the thinner omegas are still up-to-date looking... the thicker ones will maybe experience a renaissance someday?
DiaDiva- I second that YUM! It''s just gorgeous!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Hi AntiguaBride and LizzieC,
The pink stone is a topaz.

Specs:
Pink topaz: 15.34 ct
Diamonds: 0.73 tcw

I bought it back in August of last year but haven''t worn it much and I should...it''s just that it''s a little big...

VuittonGal

Shiny_Rock
I think they''re a little outdated.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results