shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC pros: looking for guidance on cut.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I know very little about what are decent specs for an OMC cut. I'm looking at a stone with these #'s.
It looks perfect in pics and video but the numbers look a little out of range for what I am familiar with ( in an oec.)
Are OMCs deeper than oecs?
Screenshot_20220515-204048_Instagram.jpg

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I don’t have an answer but am just replying because I want to follow this. I would be curious to see what the experts say. I know that since OMCs are older they tend to be wonkier and it might be one of those “you have to decide with your eyes” type of thing.

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah that looks about right in terms of depth.. some are 80%+ even. My omc is 73.2% depth but I love the high crown so it makes sense.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Think OMCs are usually deeper than OECs just based on the ones I’ve seen, don’t think I’ve seen it posted anywhere as an actual fact so hopefully an expert weighs in. Can you share pics?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Think OMCs are usually deeper than OECs just based on the ones I’ve seen, don’t think I’ve seen it posted anywhere as an actual fact so hopefully an expert weighs in. Can you share pics?
I would love to but since it's not mine yet I don't want to feed sleuthing lurkers.
Is there a difference between an elongated OMC and an antique cushion?
The stone looks like this (but smaller!).
Screenshot_20220516-223712_Instagram.jpg

This is an OWD stone he calls an antique cushion.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
ok when I see a depth that seems deep I look at the table size and the crown height.
It looks like a 52 table and a 19.5% crown height.
Ok now my mouth is watering.
Then I google Rundiste which is girdle thickness. 6% which is disappointing and also points to the possibility of repair work being done on it in the past as the original girdle would have likely been much smaller.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Then I google Rundiste which is girdle thickness. 6% which is disappointing and also points to the possibility of repair work being done on it in the past as the original girdle would have likely been much smaller.
facettiert means faceted so that to me combined with the above in my opinion guarantees that is not the original girdle or its of modern manufacture..

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
facettiert means faceted so that to me combined with the above in my opinion guarantees that is not the original girdle or its of modern manufacture..

Maybe it was repolished and they faceted the girdle? Does the 6% girdle give you pause if the stone will be bezel set?
The German DPL cert has me running to google translate too!
But the word that makes me very forgiving of the girdle:
Clarity= Lupenrein

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Maybe it was repolished and they faceted the girdle? Does the 6% girdle give you pause if the stone will be bezel set?
The German DPL cert has me running to google translate too!
But the word that makes me very forgiving of the girdle:
Clarity= Lupenrein
Right the girdle was repolished or a slight possibility of being modern in my opinion.
The 6% girdle which is far more than is needed for safely just makes it smaller for its weight and it means it has been modified in a large way.
It might not bug you but it would me, Im ok with a minimal girdle clean up but not much beyond that.
It would be interesting to talk to the seller about it and see how upfront they are about it.

Whats the color?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Right the girdle was repolished or a slight possibility of being modern in my opinion.
The 6% girdle which is far more than is needed for safely just makes it smaller for its weight and it means it has been modified in a large way.
It might not bug you but it would me, Im ok with a minimal girdle clean up but not much beyond that.
It would be interesting to talk to the seller about it and see how upfront they are about it.

Whats the color?
N. Which my oec is and I love it. I have officially paid a (refundable) downpayment to hold this so I can post a picture. Karl I appreciate your input!
Screenshot_20220515-110944_Instagram.jpg

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
looks great in that pic, do you have more pics or better yet a video?

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
interesting diamond as far as can be told by a few pics.
culet is smaller than I was expecting but that happens.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am curious about one thing whats the name of the lab that graded it? German reports are not common on PS.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Karl
The seller is in Germany. The cert is from the German Diamantpruf Lab (DPL).
Screenshot_20220517-230731_Instagram.jpg
Thanks, that is interesting.
Here is a link to the labs English page for those interested:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No clue on cut and numbers, just wanted to say the stone looks lovely to my untrained eyes!

DK :kiss2:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks. I'm nervous about an international purchase of this magnitude....eep

Don't blame you, as I have not come across that lab before, as Germany does not come up on my radar as being well-known for high end jewellery, unlike Paris and Amsterdam etc...

DK :))

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Lovely ring. I purchased a stone with a DPL cert awhile back. I ended up sending the stone to GIA for piece of mind. The GIA results came back spot on with the DPL cert.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring. I purchased a stone with a DPL cert awhile back. I ended up sending the stone to GIA for piece of mind. The GIA results came back spot on with the DPL cert.

Oh thank you for that @Mjay ! I've seen a few mentions of DPL here in Pricescope and it seems they are stringent and in line with GIA. It makes me feel better knowing you had a good outcome!

Will GIA look at a mounted stone?

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Oh thank you for that @Mjay ! I've seen a few mentions of DPL here in Pricescope and it seems they are stringent and in line with GIA. It makes me feel better knowing you had a good outcome!

Will GIA look at a mounted stone?

I had GIA grade mine right before I set it. GIA won’t grade it mounted but at least you can have piece of mind that you can trust the DPL report.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
That is a lovely stone @CHRISTY-DANIELLE !

I’m all about what my eyes say and I look for a nice puffy crown, table on the smaller side, and I love me a big culet. The shape reminds me of my OMC. I can’t wait for you to see it with your own eyes! What a nice find!
20220519_104849.jpg
Thanks. I don't think I would have had any hesitation if this was in the US and GIA certed. But my eyes say this is perfect for me . Seller sent me more pics today and I just love it so much!
I still don't know how to tell an OMC from an antique cushion. But I love the facets, the kozibe, the chunky crown!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
20220519_104849.jpg
Thanks. I don't think I would have had any hesitation if this was in the US and GIA certed. But my eyes say this is perfect for me . Seller sent me more pics today and I just love it so much!
I still don't know how to tell an OMC from an antique cushion. But I love the facets, the kozibe, the chunky crown!

This has always confused me, too!

I had a discussion with a GG in a DC store and he told me the only difference btw an OMC and an Antique Cushion is really the length width ratio. I’m not 100% sure if this is true but it make sense to me…

This may also help:

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
thanks it looks as expected when over obstructed.
did you end up buying it?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
thanks it looks as expected when over obstructed.
did you end up buying it?

I'm not a diamond expert...I just think this is really beautiful.
So it looks ok? By over obstructed you just mean due to camera/person blocking light correct?
I have put a downpayment. And plan to finalize tomorrow or Tuesday.
Appreciate your thoughts!

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm not a diamond expert...I just think this is really beautiful.
So it looks ok? By over obstructed you just mean due to camera/person blocking light correct?
I have put a downpayment. And plan to finalize tomorrow or Tuesday.
Appreciate your thoughts!
yes looks good and yes it means more light blocking than when your viewing it under normal conditions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results