shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC Bezel Solitaire by DK

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Back in July, I found a lovely, quirky old mine and emerald ring from Ivy & Rose for a good price. I bought it hoping to repurpose the center stone into a solitaire, which EGL had graded (while in the ring) as a F-G (side eye). It took me AWHILE to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, and some back and forth with David Klass, but I'm pleased to say the ring is completed!

The stone:
David sent it to GIA for me and it came back as 1.19 carats, J, SI2. The dimensions are 6.57x6.46. It looked pretty square to me in the original ring but in its new home it looks more elongated (but not TOO elongated, which is not my style - this stone is perfect). I'm not surprised by the SI2 - I put some louped pics somewhere else on the forum and the center is very clean but the edges are a bit chewed up. Even though the color came back as a J, I still think I got a steal on the stone based on what I'm seeing in the market for this color and face-up size.

The ring:
My other ring is a three-stone, so I wanted a solitaire. Bezel, of course. My inspirations were some Victor Barbone settings and some of the crown settings from Old World Diamonds. Originally I set out to make an all platinum ring, but then when I started pairing the original ring with a gold band, it really emphasized the colored flashes of the OMC, so I switched to a two-tone design.

David Klass glamour shots:
DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044.jpeg DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-2.jpeg DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-3.jpeg
DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-4.jpeg

And on my hand (size 6.5 for reference, much worse shots than the professional!): IMG_0658.jpeg
IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0662.jpeg

(PS, I am VEXED trying to get the images to appear in the right order! Hopefully they publish well.)

I love the ring. The crown on the OMC is to die for. It's beyond comfortable. I'm wearing it with a 2mm full round band from Deb Blazer on Etsy (and in one, my eternity band, also by David). The shank taper is a bit aggressive and makes the ring looks less matched to the band, which wasn't my intention, but I actually think I prefer the less matchy-matchy look.

Anyway, that's all - thanks for listening! IMG_0671.jpg

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
That is sublime!

muesli

Shiny_Rock
Amazing!!! Looks great on you!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I think it's beautiful and I also like the less matchy, matchy. Love that it's bezelled. This is a ring with endless stacking capabilities!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this. The combo is perfect and the setting is ideal.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So beautiful! Love the milgrained bezel & two-tone gold!!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
I love it - so beautiful! I'm a HUGE fan of mixed metals!

Platinumplus

Rough_Rock
*My* jewel of the week! I love that it keeps a little of the wonky vintage character, and the mixed metals give amazing stacking options. I’d love to see the original ring.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Thanks all! @Inked and @Eli22 , David talked me into the entire basket being platinum instead of just the bezel, which is what I originally wanted. I had angst while the ring was being made, thinking I’d made a mistake. But you know what? The yellow wedding band reflects off the white basket metal so half the time it looks gold anyway. And, the basket is steeply angled so it’s really just the bezel I see in the end.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
*My* jewel of the week! I love that it keeps a little of the wonky vintage character, and the mixed metals give amazing stacking options. I’d love to see the original ring.
Aw, thanks! The original ring was super cool. IS super cool! I’m not sure what I’m going to do with it, so ideas are welcome.

Option 1: sell it
Options 2: use the cabochon emeralds in a pair of cool earrings, the design of which would be….erm….
Option 3: find a blue sapphire or something that would coordinate with the green.
A8B7B1E5-C0F4-48DD-B4E8-2C7EF9A93647.jpeg

Attachments

• 25AA07E3-66C5-48D7-A499-F77041A88286.jpeg
    25AA07E3-66C5-48D7-A499-F77041A88286.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 8

BoulderGal

Brilliant_Rock
Back in July, I found a lovely, quirky old mine and emerald ring from Ivy & Rose for a good price. I bought it hoping to repurpose the center stone into a solitaire, which EGL had graded (while in the ring) as a F-G (side eye). It took me AWHILE to figure out exactly what I wanted to do, and some back and forth with David Klass, but I'm pleased to say the ring is completed!

The stone:
David sent it to GIA for me and it came back as 1.19 carats, J, SI2. The dimensions are 6.57x6.46. It looked pretty square to me in the original ring but in its new home it looks more elongated (but not TOO elongated, which is not my style - this stone is perfect). I'm not surprised by the SI2 - I put some louped pics somewhere else on the forum and the center is very clean but the edges are a bit chewed up. Even though the color came back as a J, I still think I got a steal on the stone based on what I'm seeing in the market for this color and face-up size.

The ring:
My other ring is a three-stone, so I wanted a solitaire. Bezel, of course. My inspirations were some Victor Barbone settings and some of the crown settings from Old World Diamonds. Originally I set out to make an all platinum ring, but then when I started pairing the original ring with a gold band, it really emphasized the colored flashes of the OMC, so I switched to a two-tone design.

David Klass glamour shots:
DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044.jpeg DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-2.jpeg DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-3.jpeg
DKPV2021___11__04____84044____84044-4.jpeg

And on my hand (size 6.5 for reference, much worse shots than the professional!): IMG_0658.jpeg
IMG_0657.jpeg IMG_0661.jpeg IMG_0662.jpeg

(PS, I am VEXED trying to get the images to appear in the right order! Hopefully they publish well.)

I love the ring. The crown on the OMC is to die for. It's beyond comfortable. I'm wearing it with a 2mm full round band from Deb Blazer on Etsy (and in one, my eternity band, also by David). The shank taper is a bit aggressive and makes the ring looks less matched to the band, which wasn't my intention, but I actually think I prefer the less matchy-matchy look.

Anyway, that's all - thanks for listening! IMG_0671.jpg

That's gorgeous! It looks lovely on you!

lulu_ma

Ideal_Rock
Such a lovely ring-congrats!

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Old cuts and two tone have a special place in my heart. Absolutely beautiful. Congrats!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Absolutely beautiful. And the stack is classic!

oldcutclubmember

Brilliant_Rock
Beautiful!! Love the two tone setting ❤️

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just beautiful and looks so wearable and comfortable! Pretty transformation for that diamond!

88_star

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Huge two tone fan so I love how it turned out plus with your stack.

For the emerald cabs, what about setting them flush in a scatter band? Either plain flush or with a starburst setting would be lovely. Or you could make a small crescent pendant out of them (maybe pair it with some rose cuts or OEC if you want to add more sparkle - the green crescent could be snuggled inside the diamonds.

dmack

Shiny_Rock
These are great ideas, thank you! I’ll have to keep thinking on it. I’m at a place right now where I don’t need anymore rings or necklaces, but that could change down the line. I have a vague vision for some funky hoops, but that’s where my creativity stops.

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! I would definitely repurpose the ring or at least the emeralds. I see a two tone band with the emeralds bezel set with milgrain and a few little diamonds nick set in between..... and if you didn't want to use all 10 emeralds, you could maybe do 5 and the other 5 make a matching pendant in the shape of a star or like someone suggested, a crescent moon would be pretty. I would do a brushed 18k yellow gold with some touches of white gold but that may be too intense for what you may want to do. If too much, a stacker band to go with your ring will be gorgeous! Always good to have lot's of stacker options but I am biased. LOL!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks all! @Inked and @Eli22 , David talked me into the entire basket being platinum instead of just the bezel, which is what I originally wanted. I had angst while the ring was being made, thinking I’d made a mistake. But you know what? The yellow wedding band reflects off the white basket metal so half the time it looks gold anyway. And, the basket is steeply angled so it’s really just the bezel I see in the end.

I think the platinum bezel is a beautiful frame for your beautiful stone!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
So, so pretty on you!

dmack

Shiny_Rock
Gorgeous! I would definitely repurpose the ring or at least the emeralds. I see a two tone band with the emeralds bezel set with milgrain and a few little diamonds nick set in between..... and if you didn't want to use all 10 emeralds, you could maybe do 5 and the other 5 make a matching pendant in the shape of a star or like someone suggested, a crescent moon would be pretty. I would do a brushed 18k yellow gold with some touches of white gold but that may be too intense for what you may want to do. If too much, a stacker band to go with your ring will be gorgeous! Always good to have lot's of stacker options but I am biased. LOL!

Brushed yellow gold is a great idea… oh man, so many good ideas!

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
I like option 3! What about finding another member of the Beryl family to put with those emeralds: heliodor, aquamarine, morganite...

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Option 1: sell it
Options 2: use the cabochon emeralds in a pair of cool earrings, the design of which would be….erm….
Option 3: find a blue sapphire or something that would coordinate with the green.
A8B7B1E5-C0F4-48DD-B4E8-2C7EF9A93647.jpeg

Ok - cards on the table here.

I'm not a fan of this setting, as I think the arrangement of emeralds on the sides is quite dated and has an overabundance of metal. I also think the central metal box surrounding the center stone is very high and would obscure whatever you were to put in there.

So for me, I'd either sell it, or I'd take it apart and make myself a delightful little shared prong cabochon emerald band, using the metal from the current setting to make the head of the new setting (ie so the emeralds were set in white metal as per your new ring) and do the shank at the back of the new ring in yellow gold. This would give you a wonderful ring to add to your new stack and be a delightful homage to the original ring.

Best of all worlds. :))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old cuts in bezels are the bomb. Congratulations on your amazing new solitaire.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results