shape
carat
color
clarity

OMC/AVC/OEC

faded264

Rough_Rock
Hi! I'm new :wavey:

I'm trying to do research on what I like in a ring, so that I can give my boyfriend an idea. I asked him what his budget was, but he wouldn't give me a real price range, as he said he's not sure how much and he just wants to find a pretty ring that I like :love:

I had sent him a ring that I liked that was only 2500, and he said he would definitely be open to spending more than that. I would say around 4000 would be the max that I would be comfortable with him spending though.

So my question pertains to OMC/AVC/OEC/AVOEC diamonds. I like the idea of vintage looking diamonds, but I think I'm confused on what each means.

OMC=old mine cut
AVC=august vintage cushion?
OEC=old european cut
AVOEC=august vintage old european cut

So I have several questions:

Are the AVC and AVOEC only produced by GOG?

Old mine cut is a cushion cut diamond, correct? I've just seen several that look very round in shape.

Are OMC and OEC actual vintage diamonds, unlike AVC and AVOEC, which are diamonds that are cut now to look like vintage cuts?

I'm looking at diamonds at both GOG and oldworlddiamonds.com. Where would you recommend buying? I love the diamonds on oldworld diamonds, but it seems many of them are lower clarity. I'm also not too sure on the certification. Many of them are certified by EGL. Would this be fine?

Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions as I learn more. :twirl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are correct in what you wrote in your post. There may be others cutting new OEC's and antique cushions, but Good Old Gold is having them cut to have maximum light performance, so they will often outperform older cut stones. Because symmetry is important to me, I'd rather have one of the Good Old Gold stones. Now it certainly is possible to find an outstanding old cut stone, but sometimes they are cut deep or have a very thin girdle and you'd have no way of determining light performance. So really, it depends on what you're looking for and whether either source has what you want. They are very beautiful stones, that is for sure!

Oh, and EGL is known for looser grading, so if the color says H, then assume it is probably J.

faded264

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1300670262|2876118 said:
You are correct in what you wrote in your post. There may be others cutting new OEC's and antique cushions, but Good Old Gold is having them cut to have maximum light performance, so they will often outperform older cut stones. Because symmetry is important to me, I'd rather have one of the Good Old Gold stones. Now it certainly is possible to find an outstanding old cut stone, but sometimes they are cut deep or have a very thin girdle and you'd have no way of determining light performance. So really, it depends on what you're looking for and whether either source has what you want. They are very beautiful stones, that is for sure!

Oh, and EGL is known for looser grading, so if the color says H, then assume it is probably J.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I definitely think I like GOG for the symmetry.

One more question, for anyone who can reply. I really like the look of the AVOEC, but I notice GOG only has about 20 diamonds online that are available. If I were to visit them, would they have more, or is this their whole inventory?

vanilla87

Shiny_Rock
I would ring and ask them whats available, they are really helpful!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is all they have at the moment, but they may have some coming in. I did ask them myself, and they said it was possible to have one cut with a specific color or clarity preference at that time.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results