shape
carat
color
clarity

Older GIA Report.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

eqly

Rough_Rock
Hi I went to a Brick and Mortar and found a diamond with a 1998 GIA report. Is this normal. Does it mean its being resold. Thanks for your input.

Rand_alThor

Rough_Rock
When I was searching I too came across a GIA report with a 1999 dated certificate.On inquiring as to whether this stone was being resold I was told by a vendor that it is sometimes normal for a diamond to sit in inventory for that long and not be sold. I was also told that they would inform me if it was indeed being resold.

I can't explain why but I didn't completely buy that theory. However I also didnt have any evidence to suggest otherwise either. Also know that if a diamond is indeed being resold more often than not, the vendor makes a larger profit on it.

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That is true, sometimes a diamond can sit in inventory that long. But with saying that I would ask myself why. Did the store pay too much, did they buy something that went our of style in their area, is it graded properly? Or is it a resale?

Some jewelers will submitt the diamond again if the date looks rather old and get a current grading report. If the diamond is old enough they will recoupe the grading fee(and more) by the increase in diamond prices over the years.

I have a couple oldies too, I just stopped selling ovals for some reason
sad.gif
I did take what I could and used them in three stone rings and those then moved
1.gif

StevL

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oh, if I could buy some older diamonds graded in the 70's I would buy most of those real quick. I used to see SI1's that look better than many VS1's today.

This is another issue, but I think the grading is not as tight as it was 30 years ago.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
My fear with an older stone grading is that being in the market so long and being passed up, it could have been handled a few times, etc... Who knows if there have been any nicks, abrasions or damage done to the stone either by trying to unsuccessfully set it, or even just movement from jeweler to cutomer, and back, etc...

I would have them regrade the stone to ensure that the report is up to date and reflecs the stone as it is now...

eqly

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all for all your input. I guess the best policy is to have the jeweller send the stone into GIA again to get it certed before I buy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results