shape
carat
color
clarity

Older Dated GIA certificate

Ricky Rick

Rough_Rock
Is this ever a cause for concern? Ive noticed the jeweller I was recommended to, who was more than helpful/pleasant I might add, has "hand picked" out 4 diamonds that met my criteria. Three of the four were dated 2014, and one was 2016. Is that an instant red flag? Starting to feel like these were either previously owned or perhaps leftovers. Specs/HCA score aside is an older GIA date an issue?

Thanks

rockysalamander

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yup. It means they are trade-in stones. Either to. Anything could have happened to the diamond since grading, so you have no assurance that they are not chips or nicks to the stone. If you really like one, ask them to send it back to GIA for grading.

These are measurements to help you stay in ideal cut territory with a GIA excellent cut stone.
table: 52-57.5
depth: 60-62.3 {consider 59.5)
crown angle: 34-35.0 (up to 35.5 crown angle can sometimes work with a 40.6 pav angle)
pavilion angle: 40.6-40.9 (sometimes 41.0 if the crown angle is close to 34)

Then, run those four numbers from the stones presented to you through the HCA tool and reject anything greater than 2.0 (1.0 not better than 1.9, this is used to simply reject stones). But, if you like 60/60 stones, this tool has some limitations, its requires more of an visual assessment and the IS/ASET.

Anything left, that meets your clarity and color needs is worthy of requesting an Idealscope Image (IS), ASET image, Hearts& Arrows image, and IRL photo. You can see examples of each of these images at this link.
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3706895.htm

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask. If these have been in the possession of your jeweler since 2014, then the dates do not mean the stones are trade ins. It may just mean that they have not sold.

If he brought them in for you to see, then it may be that the stones need a new paper. Hard to know until you ask.

Wink

P.S. In my opinion, any diamond that is traded in or bought back should be submitted for a new report.

doberman

Ideal_Rock
Premium
P.S. In my opinion, any diamond that is traded in or bought back should be submitted for a new report.

@Wink Is this because of possible damage to the stone? Or because standards may have changed in the intervening years? Or both? I've wondered about this, so it's good to ask an expert! :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's been traded in, after someone has worn it for several years, yes it could have dings, nicks, abrasions, that were not present when initially graded. Obv, if an SI1 stone has sustained an intervening chip, nick, what have you, it may now be graded as an SI2, or, depending on the type/extent/location of the damage, an I1. If the jeweler is selling the stone at the grades specs price, you want to be sure that is the correct grade for the price. (i.e., SI2 should be less expensive than SI1)

tinydiamond

Rough_Rock
I bought an AVR from Good Old Gold in April 2017. Its AGS certificate is dated October 2010. I know they are reputable so ?

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ask. If these have been in the possession of your jeweler since 2014, then the dates do not mean the stones are trade ins. It may just mean that they have not sold.

If he brought them in for you to see, then it may be that the stones need a new paper. Hard to know until you ask.

Wink

Could not agree more!
There are cases of stones that live in jewelers inventory for many years. And many times, for no fault of the diamond itself.
Of course in other cases, it's cause the diamond is a barker.......
I agree that a new report on a diamond which has been traded in is a good idea to verify it's the same diamond and that no damage has been done.
I also feel that sellers that accept trade-ins should inform the clients that the ring was traded in- but there's no hard fast rule.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I bought an AVR from Good Old Gold in April 2017. Its AGS certificate is dated October 2010. I know they are reputable so ?

Again,

Ask. I suspect that with GOG it is more a matter of having the diamond in stock until the right client came available. Jonathon can tell you.

Wink

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Wink Is this because of possible damage to the stone? Or because standards may have changed in the intervening years? Or both? I've wondered about this, so it's good to ask an expert! :)

Always the first issue in my mind is the possibility of damage. I always inspect each diamond I get in, and report to the client any damage that I find. I then submit the diamond to AGSL for a new report. I do not worry about standards changing when I am trading upo or buying back a diamond. I will honor my pricing and guarantees, even if the standards should change.

Wink

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results