shape
carat
color
clarity

old toothbrush cleaning....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Just a quick warning for those who use old toothbrushes ect for scrubbing their jewels.
Best to use a brush with soft bristles not NYLON.
Nylon is very strong stuff and though it will not harm your gems,if it does get snagged someplace it will be the metal breaking or bending before the nylon...
So be warned
21.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Londonchris, so how do you know if the bristles are nylon? I bought a soft toothbrush to use on some pave pieces that I don''t want to put in the ultrasonic but I can''t tell what the bristles are made of. And other than nylon, what material should they be?

Londonchris

Rough_Rock
Well i would read the packaging,though you will probably find all toothbrushes are of nylon.
Just have to be careful or find some other soft type brush.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i use an old artist (never used) paint brush with hair bristles.

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Good point.

Nylon is very strong and can pull a prong. My mom lost her diamond many years ago while snagging her ring on nylon stockings.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com
Date: 12/24/2006 4:05:51 PM
Author:Londonchris
Just a quick warning for those who use old toothbrushes ect for scrubbing their jewels.
Best to use a brush with soft bristles not NYLON.
Nylon is very strong stuff and though it will not harm your gems,if it does get snagged someplace it will be the metal breaking or bending before the nylon...
So be warned
21.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
I went into a jade shop yesterday and bought a pair of new vintage jade earrings and a jade ring. The couple who owns the store has been dealing in jewelry since 1960s. They mention something that is consistent with this - that when you use a toothbrush to wash your jewerly, do not brush or scrub, just gently dab with the brush else it may damage the setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results