shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Phonies

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 5:24:15 PM
Author: glitterata
Thank you, Coatimundi!

Where are you in school? If it's NYC, you CAN take them to school and test them for me!

I don't see any doubling, though I'm not absolutely sure I would know it if I did. But I do see a certain amount of abrasion at the edges, and I don't know how great the polish is. I see some (parallel) lines in the surfaces of the faces.

Is the period right for synthetic spinel or synthetic sapphire? I'm pretty certain these earrings are pre-World War I, probably the 1900s.

I have a new pair of old phony earrings that I'll try to post soon.

You're welcome! I'm in Los Angeles, unfortunately, or I'd definitely take them in and test them. It's what I do all day!
1.gif
I'm in the G.G. program at GIA. I graduate in November.

Synthetic sapphire was used from around 1900 onward. Synthetic spinel was popular around the 1920s, and it was also used a bit earlier.

To look for doubling. With a loupe, look through the crown facets and examine the facet junctions. If the facet junctions appear to double, you've got a doubly refractive stone. The facets will mirror each other so you see them side by side. I've attached a photo. You can usually find doubling this way rather than looking through the table--best through the crown facets.

The parallel lines are polish lines. How's the fire? Extreme, moderate, low? I thought they also could be strontium titanate, but that didn't emerge until the 1950s. Strontium titanate has really high dispersion, and I thought they looked pretty firey from the photo.

They may be glass--and pretty glass at that--I would love to know! I'd love to see more of these antique stones. They have a wonderful charm. My personal favorite is synthetic rutile. Have you seen it? It has inordinate fire--non stop crazy and blinding. It was used in the late forties. It's pretty rare--but you can still find antique pieces that used it. Do you have any pieces with extreme fire? I'd love to see!
35.gif

--Example of doubling--

dble_refract.jpg

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
That GIA program sounds like so much fun! I daydream about signing up. It would be quite a career change for me, though.

I don''t see any doubling in the earring stones. But they''re quite firey, in a gentle, pastel sort of way. The close-up picture shows it pretty well. They''re very obviously not diamonds, but they do have lots of gentle color. I really don''t know what they are!

When I first got them, the stones were so filthy I thought they were citrines. They were covered with a fine, stubborn layer of yellowish grime. I soaked and scrubbed and soaked and scrubbed, and I was a little disappointed when they came out clear, not yellow. But they certainly have their charm.

Alas, the sun''s gone down and I don''t think I''ll get a chance to take photos of my new earrings for a while.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a close-up of one of the earrings in the direct sunlight, if that helps. You can see a little prism rainbow in the shadow. I was wearing a light green shirt that day, which might be reflected a bit.

edwardianpaste2.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
And here''s another direct-sun shot:

edwardianpaste3.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just for kicks, from that same day''s photo session, an art nouveau period stickpin. The rhinestones are nothing special, but I like the design. I think it''s probably vermeil (gold-plated silver).

nastickpin1.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Close-up.

nastickpin2.JPG

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 8:13:13 PM
Here's a close-up of one of the earrings in the direct sunlight, if that helps. You can see a little prism rainbow in the shadow. I was wearing a light green shirt that day, which might be reflected a bit.

Neat stones! From these photos, I'd guess glass or synthetic spinel. I just love old cuts--no matter what the material is!

What a great pin!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for looking again, Coatimundi. I''m thinking, given the time frame, probably glass.

I took some photos of my new earrings despite the lack of light. Not the best photos, but oh well. They''re large (almost 2 inches long, including the wires), light, and hollow, made--I believe--from stamped low-grade gold, maybe 9 or 10 K. I haven''t tested them, so that''s just a guess, based on how they feel and how much they''re tarnished. The rhinestones are glass, I''m pretty sure, and they might be set in brass that''s attached to the gold main setting. I believe they''re from the middle of the 19th century, maybe the 1850s-60s. They look as if they once had a drop suspended from the bottom, but it''s gone now.

midvictpasteear2.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Front and back. The back of this one is tarnished unevenly, and the top shows an old repair.

midvictpasteear1.JPG

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
One more view. Sorry the pictures are so bad--I should have waited for daylight.

In real life, the stones are bright white and obviously glass.

midvictpasteear3.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 8:22:12 PM
Close-up.
Can i say how much i like this indian head pin!

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 7:55:58 PM
That GIA program sounds like so much fun! I daydream about signing up. It would be quite a career change for me, though.

I don''t see any doubling in the earring stones. But they''re quite firey, in a gentle, pastel sort of way. The close-up picture shows it pretty well. They''re very obviously not diamonds, but they do have lots of gentle color. I really don''t know what they are!

When I first got them, the stones were so filthy I thought they were citrines. They were covered with a fine, stubborn layer of yellowish grime. I soaked and scrubbed and soaked and scrubbed, and I was a little disappointed when they came out clear, not yellow. But they certainly have their charm.

Alas, the sun''s gone down and I don''t think I''ll get a chance to take photos of my new earrings for a while.
You should really think about signing up for courses!Many people out side of the jewelry trade take courses for enjoyment and to be more informed in their jewelry buying and collecting.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2008 7:16:14 PM
Author: coatimundi

Thank you, Coatimundi!

Where are you in school? If it''s NYC, you CAN take them to school and test them for me!

I don''t see any doubling, though I''m not absolutely sure I would know it if I did. But I do see a certain amount of abrasion at the edges, and I don''t know how great the polish is. I see some (parallel) lines in the surfaces of the faces.

Is the period right for synthetic spinel or synthetic sapphire? I''m pretty certain these earrings are pre-World War I, probably the 1900s.

I have a new pair of old phony earrings that I''ll try to post soon.

You''re welcome! I''m in Los Angeles, unfortunately, or I''d definitely take them in and test them. It''s what I do all day!
1.gif
I''m in the G.G. program at GIA. I graduate in November.

Synthetic sapphire was used from around 1900 onward. Synthetic spinel was popular around the 1920s, and it was also used a bit earlier.

To look for doubling. With a loupe, look through the crown facets and examine the facet junctions. If the facet junctions appear to double, you''ve got a doubly refractive stone. The facets will mirror each other so you see them side by side. I''ve attached a photo. You can usually find doubling this way rather than looking through the table--best through the crown facets.

The parallel lines are polish lines. How''s the fire? Extreme, moderate, low? I thought they also could be strontium titanate, but that didn''t emerge until the 1950s. Strontium titanate has really high dispersion, and I thought they looked pretty firey from the photo.

They may be glass--and pretty glass at that--I would love to know! I''d love to see more of these antique stones. They have a wonderful charm. My personal favorite is synthetic rutile. Have you seen it? It has inordinate fire--non stop crazy and blinding. It was used in the late forties. It''s pretty rare--but you can still find antique pieces that used it. Do you have any pieces with extreme fire? I''d love to see!
35.gif

--Example of doubling--
Im trilled that you are at G.I.A.!!You are so right about syn.sapphire....available in mass production in about 1900 at the staggering cost of under $1.00 per carat....keep us informed about your progress.

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 12:19:11 AM
Author: jewelerman

Date: 9/13/2008 7:16:14 PM

Thank you, Coatimundi!

Where are you in school? If it''s NYC, you CAN take them to school and test them for me!

I don''t see any doubling, though I''m not absolutely sure I would know it if I did. But I do see a certain amount of abrasion at the edges, and I don''t know how great the polish is. I see some (parallel) lines in the surfaces of the faces.

Is the period right for synthetic spinel or synthetic sapphire? I''m pretty certain these earrings are pre-World War I, probably the 1900s.

I have a new pair of old phony earrings that I''ll try to post soon.

You''re welcome! I''m in Los Angeles, unfortunately, or I''d definitely take them in and test them. It''s what I do all day!
1.gif
I''m in the G.G. program at GIA. I graduate in November.

To look for doubling. With a loupe, look through the crown facets and examine the facet junctions. If the facet junctions appear to double, you''ve got a doubly refractive stone. The facets will mirror each other so you see them side by side. I''ve attached a photo. You can usually find doubling this way rather than looking through the table--best through the crown facets.

The parallel lines are polish lines. How''s the fire? Extreme, moderate, low? I thought they also could be strontium titanate, but that didn''t emerge until the 1950s. Strontium titanate has really high dispersion, and I thought they looked pretty firey from the photo.

They may be glass--and pretty glass at that--I would love to know! I''d love to see more of these antique stones. They have a wonderful charm. My personal favorite is synthetic rutile. Have you seen it? It has inordinate fire--non stop crazy and blinding. It was used in the late forties. It''s pretty rare--but you can still find antique pieces that used it. Do you have any pieces with extreme fire? I''d love to see!
35.gif

--Example of doubling--
Im trilled that you are at G.I.A.!!You are so right about syn.sapphire....available in mass production in about 1900 at the staggering cost of under $1.00 per carat....keep us informed about your progress.
Okay...found the actual price/per carat...1890...the price for synthetic corundum...a wopping...12 cents per carat!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
9/13/2008 7:16:14 PM

Congratulations, coatimundi. I don't think I knew that. If I knew it, I never really "knew" it. In other words, it never registered deep down although I heard it or read it before. Do you have a position in the industry lined up? Are you already in one?

Deborah
34.gif

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Date:
9/13/2008 7:55:58 PM

What is your profession, glitterata? You have been registered here for longer than most people, but I do not know!

Deborah
34.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 8:34:23 AM
Author: AGBF

What is your profession, glitterata? You have been registered here for longer than most people, but I do not know!

Deborah

34.gif

That''s because I''m a little nutty about keeping my professional life separate from my google-able hobbies. I would gladly tell you privately if we still had messaging on the board.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2008 8:29:12 AM
Author: AGBF

Date:
9/13/2008 7:16:14 PM

Congratulations, coatimundi. I don't think I knew that. If I knew it, I never really 'knew' it. In other words, it never registered deep down although I heard it or read it before. Do you have a position in the industry lined up? Are you already in one?

Deborah

34.gif

Hi again Deb!
And thank you!

I met several vendors at a career fair last week--a vendor we're all familiar with
9.gif
has requested an interview for a management position. I also have an interview with a different company. I'm not sure what I want to do. I'd love to someday have my own business, as I'm wild about colored stones and entrepreneurial by nature. This is a big career change for me, but my indefatigable passion for gems and jewelry has taken over, and I want to do what I love. I don't know yet where it will lead, but I'm excited for the future!

Thank you for asking, Deb.
35.gif

I graduate November 14.

*sorry for the threadjack Glitterata!*

Hi Jewelerman! Thanks for the kind words! I will definitely keep everyone posted. How are your job prospects? What region are you located? I hope things are going well for you. I often wonder how you are doing!

Coati

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
*looking up indefatigable*
34.gif

Coati, how exciting!!
36.gif

Sorry for slight threadjack.

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/17/2008 9:21:19 AM
Author: Ellen
*looking up indefatigable*
34.gif

Coati, how exciting!!
36.gif

Sorry for slight threadjack.

9.gif

Thanks E!

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
Here a couple of my old phonies--forgot I had these! I don''t know how old they are, but they are certainly phony. I picked them up at an antique shop a long time ago--they were in the junk bin, so for all I know they are young and phony!

Do you think they look antique? Or just repro type.

I think this one is plastic--made to look like coral in an art nouveau style setting.

phony1.jpg

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
This one is glass and marcasite(pyrite).
The shank is mangled as if it was run over by a truck! I can sort of jam it onto my pinky finger.

phony3.jpg

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2008 2:14:04 PM
Here a couple of my old phonies--forgot I had these! I don''t know how old they are, but they are certainly phony. I picked them up at an antique shop a long time ago--they were in the junk bin, so for all I know they are young and phony!

Do you think they look antique? Or just repro type.

I think this one is plastic--made to look like coral in an art nouveau style setting.
...The necklace looks silver plated...and the plastic looks glued in...so my bet is that is not period.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Yes, the necklace is not old, but the ring could be--it''s hard to say, since reproductions of deco marcasite jewelry have been popular in many periods. It''s a pretty color.

In any case, great photos! Very clear and detailed.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results