shape
carat
color
clarity

Old pearls

justginger

Ideal_Rock
Hi guys! :bigsmile:

I'm in Orlando at the moment, on the second stage of my honeymoon, and I stumbled across one of those "Pearl Factory" booths at Universal today. I'm quite a fan of them, simply because I love the idea of lucky dip, and I remember getting them when I was on childhood vacations (though Dad's always told me that back in the day, the oysters were in pools and bikini girls would dive in to get them...and then that changed to a big aquarium...and then it was a big bowl...and now they're just in small bowls!). Anyway, I went ahead and got one today - it's quite pretty, a warm color and lusterous, fairly large at just under 9 mm.

Anyway, I mentioned to the lady there that I've got about 5-6 of these loose pearls that I've gotten from these stands over the years and I'm sort of thinking about having them made into a custom pendant. She admonished me for saving them and said they'll be worthless now, unless they were drilled at the time I got them. She says that pearls that are years old can not be drilled without cracking to pieces. :shock: Is this true?

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Nope! That's not true at all.

Those booths make most of the profit on the settings not the pearls. She was probably taught to say that. What she likely didn't tell you is the pearl you pulled from that shell was pulled from the shell that actually grew it some time ago, before facing a new insert into a juvenile shell for the kiosk. So if what she told you was indeed correct, the pearl might crack if she were to drill it for you.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Will pearls turn dull, lose it's luster and turn yellow after maybe 20years or more? (under proper care condition)

The Old Pearler

Rough_Rock
Akoya and freshwater indeed yellow with time. If kept with proper care Akoya may dull a bit but should hold most lustre if (a big if here) the pearls are fine quality to begin with, whilst freshwater pearls are likely to dull more due to the porous nature of the nacre. If either have been subjected to over-treatment, the luster will fade within months or a few number of years.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Tks for the reply (and sorry to threadjack the op!) One more question, will 0.8mm tink nacre south sea pearl dull out in years to come? I was wondering if its worth the 'plunge' to get a high quality piece. tks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results