shape
carat
color
clarity

old miner cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cal0008

Rough_Rock
What can anyone tell me about the shape/ cut old miner.. from the photos I've viewed they are a unique irregular shape... but the few sites that have prices only have stones in the k-p color and none of them have Gia reports... is there a specific reason for this? Is this not a good cut of stone to get?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We love the old miner cut diamonds too. We considered them for a time, but in the end decided to go with a round modern brilliant due to the extreme sparkle. However I still love the old cuts! They are hand-cut which is why their proportions can be less than exacting..but I'm sure some of the experts here could tell you more. Here is a link I had bookmarked from my research into them before we purchased our round.

http://www.oldeuropeandiamonds.com/Old_Cut_Diamond.html

Also--check out www.diamondwholesale.cc and use the search engine located on the left of that landing page to do a search for 'old miner' cut diamonds. You will be surprised at how many they offer for sale, and many are the F and H color range which is more than acceptable for the older styles! As you'll notice, you can definitely get more bang for your buck with the old cut stones.

Also visit www.faycullen.com as she has many old stones set within antique and antique replica settings that are gorgeous. Most of her stones seem to be lower in color (e.g. J/K/L/M/O/P) but the settings are beautiful.

Hope that helps, good luck!!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Old mine cuts originally came in all the colors, D on down. Many have been recut over the past 100 years into old EUropean cuts and more recently into modern cuts. Many old European cuts were cut into modern cuts too. What has this done? Few of the truly colorless stones are left in Old Mine cushion shapes. Most are quite dark in color.

However, the feature of these old cuts is they "face up white" compared to modern cut diamonds of the same body color. because of light leakage an old cut diamond looks like a better color than it actualy would grade.

No point in getting GIA papers on stones that would not grade as a good color. It is an opportunity for jewelrys who sell estate jewelry to offer great values on diamonds that would not create much interest or much demand if they had been recut. My daughter has an old cut diamond which is not a great color, but it sure looks good and makes her content. (It is pretty big and that definitely counts.)

cal0008

Rough_Rock
thank you both for your help!

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
OldMiner

I just picked up a lovely OMC set in platinum with two side baguettes TCW about 1.16. The center stone is a G and supposedly VVS. I cannot tell for sure, I didn't see any inclusions with a 10x loupe, but then I'm not so sure if I did it correctly.

Would it be possible to send it to you for an appraisal? Would it have to be taken out of the setting for an appraisal, or can you grade it set?

win
confused.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
You did?!? Where are my pictures?!?

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Hest88 I just saw your ring on the Show me the Ring thread last night (sorry, still new to PS, trying to do some catch up reading...
9.gif
)...I'm still trying to find my socks which where knocked off when I saw your ring! It is just too beautiful! You must really enjoy wearing that.

Have a great day.

Kmom

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Aw, thanks Kmom! I had a really hard time taking that picture. I wish I could have captured the sparkle as well.

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Don't worry, Hest, I have a great imagination
2.gif
. Looks like a real sparkler!
tongue.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results