shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Mine from Mark T and SingleStone Custom Setting

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Hey Everyone,

My Fiancee's ring just came in from being done. It is a 1.71 H/VS2 Old Mine Brilliant from Mark T at ERD on a custom Singlestone platinum engraved setting with .42 carat weight of OEC sidestones. It also has two surprise stones, a garnet for her birthstone and a diamond for mine.

Here is a mini review:

Mark T from ERD:

Mark was great to work with on finding a diamond, I sent him my budget through his web form and he instantly got back to me saying he had a stone in exactly the size I wanted in the low end of the budget I had, which was great. I am in San Jose and my GF really wanted to see the rock in person so he shipped it out to an appraiser in SF, she loved it immediately and the price was right for an antique style cushion, so we snatched it up. It looks even better set than it did in the store now that it is set, puts off tons of colors and fire, and just sparkles like crazy, its pretty awesome, fits the antique style of the ring really well.

Ari from SingleStone:

Ari has been very fun to work with, the quality on the ring turned out fantastic if you see it in person. My GF wanted to replicate a real 1920's art deco ring that she had seen online, in platinum, and it has a ton of engraving work on it. She also wanted real OEC melee stones which a lot of other setting makers couldnt provide. Ari got back to me super quick, said they could definitely reproduce the setting and gave me a quick turn around on getting a quote. Their quote was around $300 more than the lowest quote I got for the setting(which was actually from Mark T), BGD gave me a quote of around $700 more than Singlestone which was surprising, and wasn't going to use OEC stones for the melees. My GF really wanted it to be hand made, which it was, and apparently engraved by an 80 year old man who uses no scope even, all by hand, which if you see the work is ABSOLUTELY NUTS that he can do that, the engraving is probably the best part of the entire ring. It is engraved all the way around so luckily the damn thing fit. We went with singlestone cause she wanted something antique style and she trusted based on their other settings that they could do it, even if it was $300 more. She couldn't be happier with how it came out.

Other vendors: I had a great experience with GOG as well, they were just over our price range for an AVC that was smaller, but their customer service was fantastic. I actually had a very bad experience with BGD which seems to not be the norm, while their customer service was good at first, I had told them I was looking for an antique cushion and they said they would send out for one. They kinda pressured me to wait for them to send it out even though it was above my price range just to check it out, so I obliged. It then took an extra week and a half after they said for it to come in, and it was NOT an antique style cushion just a normal one. After I said I didnt want it they tried to charge me $55 without asking for shipping it out, after they had told me repeatedly that there would be no charges filed for looking at it. They explained this as "If the diamond was a lemon, we wouldn't have charged you, but since it was so nice we are charging you" which made no sense considering I wasnt looking for a modern cushion so it was a lemon to me. Then when I got a quote about the setting from them first they tried to say, why not get this stock setting which looks the same(it looked nothing a like), and then gave me a really high price for custom doing the setting. That was just my experience with them personally.

Anyways here is some pics, sorry they aren't so great cause of my camera.. really doesn't show off how amazing the engraving is on this ring however my friend might take some pics for me with his DSLR so if people care enough I can post those later.

Just wanted to say thanks to all of PS for helping us find the perfect diamond plus setting for a great price!

P1010735a.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Is it possible to attach more than one image? Kinda annoying..

P1010736.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Side view

P1010741.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
on my fat pinky

P1010755.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
side fat pinky

P1010750.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
fiancess hand

P1010761.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
more fiancess hand

P1010762.JPG

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Top shot of the real ring, again note this is not our ring just the one we wanted replicated, this top shot is pretty photo shopped too I think.

14609_pl.jpg

Snow_Miser

Shiny_Rock
That ring is beautiful. Ari did an amazing job!

Also, that OMC is absolutely stunning. Great steal
36.gif

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So beautiful ccb
30.gif
30.gif

It looks lovely on her hand - you did an amazing job, she must be over the moon!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Completely amazing!!! That is such a gorgeous piece!! Congratulations and best wishes!!!

legra

Brilliant_Rock
30.gif
Absolutely gorgeous!
30.gif
I think it turned out even better than the original setting and the OMC is beautiful. Congrats on your engagement.

dawnabee

Shiny_Rock
Congrats it looks wonderful! Thanks for all the info too

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is amazing!!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its really beautiful! Love the setting!

clgwli

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely beautiful!! You did an awesome job! Congrats on your engagement too

tigian

Ideal_Rock
What a stunning ring! It is absolutely breathtaking.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how beautiful and intricate!

Congrats!

Callisto

Brilliant_Rock
Wow that ring is stunning. Like absolutely gorgeous. Did singlestone have any problems with using a stone from a different vendor? I thought I read somewhere that they weren''t fond of that.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring!

ccb0x45

Rough_Rock
Date: 6/30/2010 7:59:25 PM
Author: Callisto
Wow that ring is stunning. Like absolutely gorgeous. Did singlestone have any problems with using a stone from a different vendor? I thought I read somewhere that they weren't fond of that.

Weird, no they had no problems at all. I already had the diamond bought and paid for when I talked to Ari, he didnt act in any way at all like it mattered I had bought it somewhere else. I really had zero problems working with singlestone, the people there are great. He did mention he did ask me who I got it from and I told him Mark and he knew who it was, but it didnt seem like any sort of problem or issue.

Let me also just say the pictures do no justice to the actual engraving work and quality of the ring, its just flat out amazing in person, especially knowing it was done by an 80 year old man with no scope, that guy is extremely talented.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
WOW- I love love love this ring!!!! I am glad you had such a great experience with Mark- he is wonderful! And Ari does amazing custom work!!!
Enjoy, and congratulations on your engagement!!!!
36.gif
36.gif

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
It''s beautiful!!! Congrats on your engagement!!!! It is stunning!!!

SparklyOEC

Brilliant_Rock
I love this ring too! It''s amazingly gorgeous! Congrats!
30.gif
30.gif

Amethyste

Ideal_Rock
wow... That is one truly gorgeous ering... Looks wonderful on your fiancee''s hand!!!

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
This setting and stone is so perfect together, looks amazing. Congratulations to you both.
21.gif

TotalNewbie

Shiny_Rock
My, oh my! That is one beautiful ring.

artdecogirl

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement, That ring is amazing!

sunseeker101

Shiny_Rock
What a beauty! I like your version more than the original. Congrats
1.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results