shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Mine Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''m interested in purchasing an OMC. Which vendor(s) would you recommend to work with? I''ve already contacted singlestone, but I''m on the east coast (near NYC) and was wondering if someone would recommend a vendor closer.

Thanks for the help!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mark T. at EngagementRingsDirect might be able to help you find one. He''s in NYC.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve been in contact with Mark as well. He seems to specialize in modern cuts though. Which I''m not ruling out at this point. But I really love the look of antique cushions better than modern cushions.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Click on AGA and request an appointment with David Atlas. He may be able to help you!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Kaliegh - When you say ''click on AGA'' what do you mean? sorry
4.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dave Atlas works at Accredited Gem Appraisers (AGA).

I contacted Dave last year for contacts that might be able to help me find an OEC. Unfortunately, he could not help me.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
nevermind....found it
9.gif

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono- would you recommend contacting him anyway? Is it worth it in your opinion?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/20/2007 3:05:12 PM
Author: cdt1101
Chrono- would you recommend contacting him anyway? Is it worth it in your opinion?
It doesn''t hurt to give him a call/email. The worst thing he can say is that he can''t give out names. I do really respect him though. He goes by the name OldMiner here.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nelson Rarities too.

If you end up finding a great OMC vendor, please do share your experience. I''m gaga for OMCs.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
KristyDarling - Well so far, I''ve spoken to both Mark T. and Ari at singlestone. Mark is great, but he is more the cushion guy for moderns. As stated previously I''m not ruling out a modern cut at this point, but I would LOVE an antique cut. I spoke with Ari yesterday and he is very thorough in trying to identify what you are looking for. In fact, after our conversation yesterday afternoon within in 2 hours I had 11 pics of pieces he currently has. From those pics he asked that I identify the ones I liked and did not and explain why. So far, his response has been VERY quick. My only concern at this point (well more of my FF concern) is that I wouldn''t be able to actually see the diamond before we purchase. We would purchase, and then return if it''s not what I''m looking for. But Ari seems confident that he can can find exactly what his customer is looking with only doing exchange thru phone and e-mail. So we shall see
1.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 3:16:05 PM
KristyDarling - Well so far, I''ve spoken to both Mark T. and Ari at singlestone. Mark is great, but he is more the cushion guy for moderns. As stated previously I''m not ruling out a modern cut at this point, but I would LOVE an antique cut.

I am going to disagree with you here, cdt. While Mark certainly deals more in modern cut diamonds, he has found some beautiful antique-style cushions for PSers. Most dealers will due more volume in modern style cushions because that is what the market dictates. But that does not mean he will not be able to find you a very nice antique style stone. Now, if you are looking for a stone that was cut a long time ago, then maybe you have a point. But if you are going for the antique look, Mark has access to tons of stones in the NYC district, and I have no doubt he could find you something great, plus you would have the added benefit of being able to see several stones in person.

Hope that helps, and GOOD LUCK!

peachster

Rough_Rock
There is a great store near NYC in Stamford, CT - Peter Suchy Jewelers. It is well known for specializing in estate jewelry - and I have bought a few things from them. Peter sells on EBAY too - I think his ID is petersuchyjewelers or something. Anyway, there are probably other stores like this out there that really specialize in antique and estate jewelry. If you have a free afternoon, come visit him. Lots of goodies. (I am not affiliated with him in any way).

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
BostonJeff - did you work w/ Mark for you stone?

widget

Ideal_Rock
I just wanted to jump in and add my recommendation for Singlestone. They seem to be an excellent resource for old-cut stones. I inquired about matched pairs of OMCs (pretty rare, I guess) and Ari sent me pictures to two pairs almost immediately.

My sense is that they have a pretty large, often changing inventory of old stones.

....and I wouldn''t worry about distance. Unless you can walk into the vendor''s shop, you always have to "buy" your diamond without seeing it....knowing, of course, that you can return it if it doesn''t suit you..

widget

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 3:59:39 PM
BostonJeff - did you work w/ Mark for you stone?
Yes he did and I second the endorsement... I found my old mine brilliant on blue nile, but if I were to replace it I''d go to mark. Jeff and I both have newly cut stones that are very symmetrical but have that wonderful old style faceting. Only real diff is the culets are "only" slightly large. If you want a genuine antique though, I''d probably go elsewhere...

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
I should have been more specific....I was referring to true antique OMCs when speaking of Mark''s expertise.

At this point, I''m not sure what I would prefer. From the pics, Jeff''s stone looks AMAZING, so it will be interesting to see whether I end up w/ a modern or antique cut.

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
FWIW my experience is that ERD''s customer servce and Singlestone''s customer service are very different. Different folks have different expectations I guess.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
Elmo - Could you explain? Did you work w/ both? What was your experience?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 2:44:55 PM
Author: Chrono
How about http://www.oldworlddiamonds.com
I''ve never worked with them before but they are in NYC and seem to specialize in old cut diamonds.
omg I just spent the last 20 minutes looking at this site, I''m in heaven!!! Even if you cannot find what you want in their database, I bet they''d be able to find it or keep their eyes open!! Amazing site - I need MORE DIAMONDS!!!!!!!! or a white strappy jacket
41.gif

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 5:50:17 PM
I should have been more specific....I was referring to true antique OMCs when speaking of Mark's expertise.

At this point, I'm not sure what I would prefer. From the pics, Jeff's stone looks AMAZING, so it will be interesting to see whether I end up w/ a modern or antique cut.

Thanks for the compliment on my stone, cdt. It really does depend on what you are looking for, and Cehra really nailed it-- if you are looking for the antique style, but want stones with better symmetry, you might be best off looking for stones cut recently with antique specs (I say might because I am sure there are some antique stones with very good symmetry).

Then again, if you are looking for something more like the picture below, then a specialized dealer might yield better results.

cushionold7.jpg

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 6:25:59 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

omg I just spent the last 20 minutes looking at this site, I''m in heaven!!! Even if you cannot find what you want in their database, I bet they''d be able to find it or keep their eyes open!! Amazing site - I need MORE DIAMONDS!!!!!!!! or a white strappy jacket
41.gif

I vote the latter.

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
In an ideal word, I would be able to compare
9.gif

I really do love the look of your stone....your FF is a lucky girl!

But, here are a few pics, of true antique OMCs that I would LOVE to see.

earring on the left....

omc.JPG

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
love this one....

omc3.JPG

cdt1101

Brilliant_Rock
last one....it''s an earring, but you get the idea....

omc4.JPG

boston_jeff

Brilliant_Rock
Well, you are clearly partial to the large culet look, which is more prevalent in the stones that were not recently cut (again, with exceptions).

The stone in the ring you posted, aside from a larger culet, is fairly similar to my stone...

I would still say it is worth working with Mark, if possible. Tell him exactly what you are looking for, even if it is a true antique OMC, and he will tell you if he is the person to search for you. If those stones are available to him, it would be great for you to be able to see the stones in person prior to purchase. That is necessary for cushion cuts in general, but seems like an absolute must for stones with as much character as OMCs.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 6:28:42 PM
Author: boston_jeff

Date: 3/20/2007 6:25:59 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

41.gif

I vote the latter.
you are just no fun ;-)

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/20/2007 6:46:52 PM
Author: boston_jeff
Well, you are clearly partial to the large culet look, which is more prevalent in the stones that were not recently cut (again, with exceptions).

The stone in the ring you posted, aside from a larger culet, is fairly similar to my stone...

I would still say it is worth working with Mark, if possible. Tell him exactly what you are looking for, even if it is a true antique OMC, and he will tell you if he is the person to search for you. If those stones are available to him, it would be great for you to be able to see the stones in person prior to purchase. That is necessary for cushion cuts in general, but seems like an absolute must for stones with as much character as OMCs.
I was hoping for a larger culet like this - I LOVE them!! I can''t tell you how many times I thought I could just take my nail file and file it down a bit, but yanno - what a waste of a good nail file ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results