shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Family Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
My boyfriend and I are discussing rings and I have told him that I would very much like to use my grandmothers diamond. It is a RB 1.45 ct (it was recut to Ideal in the 90''s from about 1.8 cts) VVS1 that performed very well with brilliance testing, has but there is just one problem... It is an L color based on an appraisal from 1991. I have held it up to other diamonds in the GHI category and did not see the drastic color difference that I would have expected. It does not seem "yellow" in outdoor or indoor light but I am concerned about the color. It was mined by my great-grandfather many years ago when L was a commonly set color. It would mean a lot for me to wear it but we are struggling with how to set it. I really want a halo pave setting but most designers use G/H. I also want platinum. Does anyone think this is going to seriously make the color appear worse? Any Suggestions?

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome to PS
35.gif
That is such a treasure you have to use for your ering. Since it was recut to ideal proportions and faces up white, I bet you can use G, H or I melee. Halo settings usually use 1 pointers, so they are pretty small. I love that you want to use your grandmother''s diamond. Can we see a pic of it???

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
I unfortunately don''t have a picture b/c it is in a safe
7.gif
I am under strict instructions to be very careful (thanks mom) because it is loose.

Here are more specs

7.38x7.37x4.57
depth- 62%
girdle - med to thin
table- 53%
culet- small

Dory

Rough_Rock
Oh, how precious!!! It sounds georgous!!! Maybe you could take it to a jeweler and place it in some semi-mounts to see what you think! If the color bothers you just a little, I wonder what a yellow diamond halo in plat would look like with your diamond? (You may not like yellow diamonds, just a suggestion...) These guys on here will help you, they''re great!!!
12.gif

poptart

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds lovely. If the color doesn''t bother you, set it! It''s got such a romantic past... I am sure you could find a jeweler that would be happy to work with you on the halo, but the contrast might look kind of neat. Also, you could do a pave setting if you still wanted to sparkly factor!

*M*

luckystar112

Ideal_Rock
Darn it! Why couldn''t I get the cool mining grandfather and the big rock!!

39.gif
7.gif

Lol. You''re so lucky.
4.gif

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Neil Beaty, a independent appraiser who does web seminars on Price Scope actually addressed the look of lower colored diamonds in one session. He said lower colored center stones with higher color melee accents yields a very unique look.

Here''s a link to Mr. Beaty''s website:

http://www.gemlab.us/

Dory had a good suggestion for you. Take your diamond to some jewelers and try looking at it placed in some settings you might seriously consider. See how it looks to you.

I''d bet, as Kaliegh suggested, because it was recut, you''ll be pleasantly surprised at how pretty it''s gonna look.
2.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Someone here had an old family M colored cushion set in a lovely leon mege setting with a buttercup head and a thin pave band. It was stunning and looked awesome in the pave despite the lower color. Can someone post the information of this ring?

I think somewhat antique inspred settings look amazing with lower colored stones in platinum.

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
can''t say about the halo but i have seen a beautiful L 3 carat set in platinum and used with a g vs eternity. it was lovely. i love the story of your stone and think it is priceless. i hope to get to see pics of your treasure when it is ready.
1.gif

ringplease

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for all of the great ideas. We will be going shopping soon to look at some settings. For now, here are a few that I am thinking

#1- www.jbstar.com, go to engagement rings, select vintage micro pave, go to page 9, ring #3 on the right, perhaps with platinum instead of yellow gold under the center

#2- www.jackkelege.com -the site is under construction but I love the upright ring in the center and this ring as well...
http://www.burdeens.com/www/image_pop.cfm?image=product/jackkbzl.jpg

#3- something like this with a round halo
http://www.martinflyer.com/flyerfit/consumer_zoom.asp?diawt=Dia .60 ct.&collection=BR&category=A&style=5159PL&name=Platinum Cushion Cut Diamond Engagement Ring

I am totally enamored by all of the beautiful halos on this site and I need to look at some more of those threads and look into Leon Mege too :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results