shape
carat
color
clarity

Old european cut platinum engagement ring question...

Vintage1128

Rough_Rock
Hi, I recently became engaged and have been following forums on Pricescope to get a better idea of rings that I like. My fiancee has given me free rein in selecting my ring. We have a budget of around 3k (maybe a bit more for the perfect ring). I really like Old European cut stones and antique settings and am learning that there is often room to negotiate price with jewelers. I've found a ring that I like that is currently priced at just under 4,300, and I was considering putting in a lower offer based on what I'm learning about stones/rings.

The setting is platinum and engraved, which I love, the stone is an OEC, but rated o-p, according to the EGL cert, which I am learning might not be as valuable as a GIA cert. It is .91 carats. I don't really mind the color, however I would love some opinions on the pictures/color depicted and description from the seller, which the jeweler, who describes it as "a soft, light yellow color" that is off-set by lots of sparkle.

Here is the description matching the ring
Original beautifully cut and brilliant old European cut diamond complete with EGL certification. This is the toughest certification for mounted diamonds. 0.91cts side to side top to bottom sparkle and brilliance. Raised crown and small table. 5.95 x 5.90 x 4.02mm, 67.9% depth, 52% table. Good polish and good symmetry. SI1 clarity. The color is rated O-P. The stone does not appear yellow, because of all the sparkle it takes on a soft warm color. The diamond was obviously selected for it’s unique sparkle and brilliance. 1 old European cut diamond approx. total weight .91cts,

The setting is pretty much exactly what I am looking for. I have seen lots of lovely lower color diamonds on forums here and was wondering if this looks like a good option, and also if it looks overpriced at 4300 with an o-p diamond. Thanks so much for your opinions, I am new to this! I am posting a couple of pics as well. Thanks!

face_up_close_up.jpg

top_left_view.jpg

_1295.jpg

side_2.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
That seller is very overpriced, based on what I've seen listed. Aside from that, I don't really like the cut. The center looks pretty dark. If the setting is exactly what you want, I'd ask if they'd sell just the setting, and you can look for a better center stone elsewhere.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Stone looks REALLY yellow which is a huge price reduction. And I don't like the faceting. The setting is interesting head on and looks in good repair. But that's not enough to get me to buy it. I'd pass.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would agree with the expert opinions above that the ring is way overpriced. EGL O-P can be Q-R-S by GIA standards. The stone faces up less than a .80 ct. round brilliant (which is usually 6mm). You can do a lot better!

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree! You can definitely do better.

Vintage1128

Rough_Rock
Well, thanks for your thoughts and feedback! I had a feeling it might not be the best bet, but was hoping maybe I was just missing something. Any thoughts on what it might actually be worth, or what I might offer if I just wanted the setting? Thanks!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results