shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European cut opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Hi, I was looking at engagement rings settings online (my sister-in-law is changing hers) and I saw an Old European cut diamond in an antique style ring and loved it.
What is your opinion on this cut? I look at my engagement ring diamond which is bright and clear and beautiful and it looks so average in shape compared to the old euro. cut. Maybe because EVERYONE has the same round cut diamond.
What''s your opinion?
read.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Love them, love them, love them! They possess a charm that, IMO, no modern RB can match. I chose an Old Mine Cut as my anniversary present and marvel at its unmistakable character all the time.

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Glad to hear I'm not alone... is it just the 2 of us?

Cushy Cushion

Rough_Rock
I think they are beautiful too and I agree with you---- everyone does seem to have a round. Old european mine cuts are very intriguing--- they always seem to grab my attention because you don't see them often. I just bought a "cushion cut" (which I am having questions about) but also looked at old mine cuts. There seems to be two strange sides to there value---- either that they are more costly because they are rare or that they don't have much value because the cutting method was imperfect by today's technology (large crown, etc
2.gif
. The truth is, I think it depends on who is buying and who is selling--- perhaps dealers use the argument that seems to fit their financial circumstance.

In any respect, I think that the imperfect nature of them is what makes them beautiful and it's interesting that they had another life with previous owners. Good luck in your search----very exciting!

NewYorker

Shiny_Rock
Did all of them "have another life"? I thought maybe they're still cutting them like that. Are they all old?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I wear my grandmother's and love it. I think they're mostly old.

Euro girl

Rough_Rock
My fiance recently surprised me with a three stone old European cut platinum engagement ring that has been in his family since the early 1900's. The stones are 2.7ct and though they are far from technically perfect--the color is K and the clarity SI1--the stones are stunning and I could not have chosen a more beautiful ring to wear forever! The history and meaning of the ring make it an even more amazing piece. My friends with larger, "cleaner" stones just can't get over the way my diamonds sparkle.
12.gif

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations, Euro Girl. I hope you'll post a picture.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 8/11/2003 10:22:16 PM NewYorker wrote:

Did all of them 'have another life'? I thought maybe they're still cutting them like that. Are they all old?----------------

NOPE... or not quite. This cut is fashionable again so some cutters have revived it. See Diamondsbylauren.com, for a little piece if such a sory. Also, I suspect that other online shps who offer OECs actually sell new ones (otherwise the choice would be too slim). However, as you have noticed, thi sis just s feeble market trend, unnfortunately.
1.gif

obbie

Rough_Rock
Hi Tanya, I too went through all of this when I was looking for a ring for my special girl.. At first I was very hesitant but after seeing it and getting the appraisal back it seems that these diamonds are still worth some big bucks. I think our ring turned out perfect and I would not want to have it any other way. For some reason the OEC diamond that we have seems to out shine the brilliants and it has amazing fire..I would not want it any other way...I will try to get better pictures but here is the post if you want to see it now.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/european-cut-engagement-ring.9464/

Rob.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results