shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European cut diamonds

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cai

Rough_Rock
Hi,
My knowledge about diamonds is very limited.
I have an old european cut diamond that I wish to sell. It has eight facets on the crown,and eight on the pavillian.There are no visible inclusions.Colour is between d and h. It weights more than 2 carats,and dimensions are approx. 8x8x5. Can anyone please advise how to go about selling this diamond.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Glad to bid on this. It is not a fully cut stone, but may have considerable value anyway...

You can send it to :

D. Atlas & Co., Inc.
732 Sansom St.
Phila. PA 19106

to my attention.

Phone 215-922-1926 x 120 my direct line.

cai

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/16/2002 2:39:02 PM

Glad to bid on this. It is not a fully cut stone, but may have considerable value anyway...

You can send it to :

D. Atlas & Co., Inc.
732 Sansom St.
Phila. PA 19106

to my attention.

Phone 215-922-1926 x 120 my direct line.
----------------

Thank you for your reply.
Forgot to mention that this is a round stone and it was cut about 90 years ago.
If such a stone is recut, will it loose value?
Can it be recut to today's standard and will it be very expensive to do so?
Would it be wise to get a gia cert. then recut?
:))

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It will cost a few hundred dollars for cutting. Well worth it, if you wish to improve the looks and to increase the salability of the stone. I don't recut many old cut diamonds as there is a special market for them, although more limited. They are rally worth just as much old cut as modern cut, but you need to have customers for them... Just more limited, but not value different...

I'd say don't worry about a GIA report until you have the stone you want cut from the piece you have. Why do a report two times? If the diamond is a poor clarity, I1 or below, then getting a GIA report may be a waste of time anyway.

DGer

Rough_Rock
I'm curious, Is a European cut diamond just as pretty as a round cut? In a 1.5 carat or larger?

FLOPPY

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 1/15/2002 9:38:45 PM cai wrote:

Hi,
My knowledge about diamonds is very limited.
I have an old european cut diamond that I wish to sell. It has eight facets on the crown,and eight on the pavillian.There are no visible inclusions.Colour is between d and h. It weights more than 2 carats,and dimensions are approx. 8x8x5. Can anyone please advise how to go about selling this diamond.
Thanks
rolleyes.gif

----------------
DO YOU HAVE A ROUGH IDEA OF HOW MUCH YOU ARE LOOKING TO GET? HAVE YOU EVER GOT IT APPRAISED? I HAVE A CUSTOMER WHO IS INTERESTED BUT I WOULD HAVE TO SEE IT AND SHOW IT TO HIM. I DON'T KNOW HOW THIS WHOLE THING CAN BE DONE. PLEASE LET ME KNOW. UMBERTO PALMERI

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ahhhh!!! Don't even think about having it re-cut! An OEC has a charm that a modern cut diamond cannot match.

The market for them is much smaller, but with all the celebrities buying vintage rings now, there's definitely a greater appreciation for them. At the size, and at that color, I would think someone would be *very* happy to find it.

P.S. If you *do* decide to have Dave re-cut it, please don't tell me, 'cause it would just break my heart!
sick.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results