shape
carat
color
clarity

Old European cut diamond question

georges

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone, I am new to the community and I thought this might be the right place to seek advice and guidance. I own a 4 carat, old European cut diamond that originates from late 19th century / early 20th century Russia. It was purchased in Belgrade, Serbia in the early 1960s by my father for my mother. I had it appraised by Gubelin in Zurich, Switzerland and they have estimated its market value (not including its vintage / historical character) at 14000 USD. I would like to know whether this appraisal fully appreciate the potential value of the solitaire. I will attache photographs of the item in question. Thank you in advance for any response.

image_26.jpg

image_27.jpg

image_28.jpg

gubelin_overview.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think your stone is worth more than $14k.

You need to have it reappraised. Make sure you tell them what kind of appraisal you are looking for
(Insurance, 2nd hand market, etc).

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto a re-appraisal. Ask for a resale value as well as an insurance (replacement) value.

georges

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for your feedback. Gubelin set its insurance value at 50000 CHF (aprox. 55000 USD) when I gave them the solitaire for appraisal, but they said it had no bearing on its estimated market price). Is this what you meant by "replacement / insurance" value? In fact I was not specific and only asked for a general appraisal. But they did tell me that its potential value would be much higher that the estimated 14000 USD if I could find a buyer that seeks vintage pre-revolutionary Russian diamonds. What kind of appraisal that would be inclusive of its historical character should I ask for? Is there such a thing?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Email Grace at JBEG and ask her professional opinion of what it would actually sell for approximately that is it's REAL market value, which is more than what you have been quoted but far less than the over inflated insurance value. I owned a 5.13 W, X, Y Z coloured pear that was a VVS1 and it sold for $23500.00. I'd guess somewhere between $16 500 and $21 500 would be closer to what you would actually get for it.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ditto to Arkie ... and in addition consider consigning with, or at least consulting with, Jonathon at Good Old Gold. He provides a lot of technical analysis, which can be a selling point for buyers.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results