shape
carat
color
clarity

Old e-ring disaster recycled into a blingy five stone

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for your encouragement. The five stone is old school, but blingy. I'm very happy with it. Thank you PS to all my fellow bling addicts and friends. This has definitely been a learning experience. :razz:

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That looks fabulous! Great job repurposing. :appl:

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous and I bet very impressive on your tiny hands! You should post a family shot of your collection - your pieces are tdf.

Rubies-R-Me

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the way you "reused" your stones.. your new ring is PERFECT!!! As big as you would want to go on a round stone band ring.. perfect proportions. :love: :love: :love:

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Serious transformation! It turned out beautifully & now I want one!!

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
I really like the detail of the slightly larger setting for the stones both for its intended purpose and look. Congratulations on your elegantly blingy ring!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous remake!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks fantastic! Well done!.. :appl:

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That looks beautiful on your hand! Congrats. :clap:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Nice save!

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So fab! :appl:

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
Beautiful!!

This makes me want to give Derco another shot - they quoted me a ridiculously high price for a simple, but custom, design for a ring a few years ago, so I went elsewhere. But they really did a beautiful job on this! I love the subtle girdle rub protection.

NTave

Shiny_Rock
Classic and elegant. 5 stones are just the loveliest. Excellent change up!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
FightGravity|1451675491|3969328 said:
Beautiful!!

This makes me want to give Derco another shot - they quoted me a ridiculously high price for a simple, but custom, design for a ring a few years ago, so I went elsewhere. But they really did a beautiful job on this! I love the subtle girdle rub protection.

I've had a hit and miss relationship with Derco myself. My first setting when I got my upgrade was from them which really was clunky and unattractive. I didn't know better to ask for tweaks and changes. THe diamonds they use in a lot of their stock pieces are very beautiful, sparkly and white. They aren't very updated on light performance of ASET images. The sales people are conversant only on the HCA. But once you demonstrate that you are informed about diamonds they will try to accommodate your needs or standards. Sometimes their conservatism is helpful, like in this case where they set the stones low and built the setting to extend beyond the girdle edge.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Lovely ring LLJs & fantastic idea! A five stone is so blingy & classic. I had mine made for my 50th & wear it almost every day.
Enjoy :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh LLJ, I would LOVE to meet you and hope to one day soon!! :bigsmile: I feel I've gotten to "know" you - and your bling - over the years (and OMG it HAS been years!!)...

Came back for another look ::) d'you still wear this as a RHR regularly? Stack with anything?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1452885046|3976459 said:
Oh LLJ, I would LOVE to meet you and hope to one day soon!! :bigsmile: I feel I've gotten to "know" you - and your bling - over the years (and OMG it HAS been years!!)...

Came back for another look ::) d'you still wear this as a RHR regularly? Stack with anything?

Yssie, you know something weird? I actually find I like it most on my left hand. I wear it on my right hand sometimes, but I do prefer it on my left, with just a plain band. I can skip wearing my e-ring. The 30 pointers are really SO blingy. But I have another confession. I wish it was a full eternity. I do. I dislike seeing metal. And the way this is so low set, I know I won't have any problems wearing a full eternity. I'm going to look up the thread on yours.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom|1452922133|3976684 said:

Yssie, you know something weird? I actually find I like it most on my left hand. I wear it on my right hand sometimes, but I do prefer it on my left, with just a plain band. I can skip wearing my e-ring. The 30 pointers are really SO blingy. But I have another confession. I wish it was a full eternity. I do. I dislike seeing metal. And the way this is so low set, I know I won't have any problems wearing a full eternity. I'm going to look up the thread on yours.

LLJsmom, I love your 5 stone and it is beautiful but I agree with you in that I think a full eternity of 30 pointers would be awesome on you. I agree about disliking seeing the metal or having it rotate when it is not all diamonds. When you can I would go for it. It would be gorgeous. :love: :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LLJsmom, I keep coming back to this thread because your ring has kind of rekindled my desire for one! A 5 stone ring used to be such a classic here (and it still IS classic), and when the old cut trend came, we haven't seen them much! I did buy a smaller vintage 5 stone ring (1 ctw) and I wear it on my left hand anytime I don't want to wear the large solitaire. It has nice quality older rb's set in platinum, but they are not the excellent/ideal cut stones we are accustomed to here! So I am going to put a 5 stone back on my wish list!

I just want to promote the advantages of keeping it a 5 stone! You don't have to worry about damaging the stones on the palm side of the ring. Also, a 30 pointer eternity just wouldn't be as comfortable to wear all day because of the width on the palm side. I love feeling smooth platinum between my fingers, but diamonds, not so much. For far future reasons, if you want to give the ring to your daughter, an eternity really can't be sized but a 5 stone can. And last and most important, the additional money involved to change it could equate to another whole ring or a couple of VCA pieces!!! So I love your ring as it is! (Just trying to add some balance to your thoughts!) ;))

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1452951248|3976744 said:

LLJsmom, I love your 5 stone and it is beautiful but I agree with you in that I think a full eternity of 30 pointers would be awesome on you. I agree about disliking seeing the metal or having it rotate when it is not all diamonds. When you can I would go for it. It would be gorgeous. :love: :appl:

Thanks Missy. I'm already developing my evil plans, and cannot let DH know yet. Poor guy... But this time, just setting an additional 30 pointer did not set us back hugely. Adding 8 more 30 pointers maybe more of an issue. :bigsmile:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1452955659|3976759 said:
LLJsmom, I keep coming back to this thread because your ring has kind of rekindled my desire for one! A 5 stone ring used to be such a classic here (and it still IS classic), and when the old cut trend came, we haven't seen them much! I did buy a smaller vintage 5 stone ring (1 ctw) and I wear it on my left hand anytime I don't want to wear the large solitaire. It has nice quality older rb's set in platinum, but they are not the excellent/ideal cut stones we are accustomed to here! So I am going to put a 5 stone back on my wish list!

I just want to promote the advantages of keeping it a 5 stone! You don't have to worry about damaging the stones on the palm side of the ring. Also, a 30 pointer eternity just wouldn't be as comfortable to wear all day because of the width on the palm side. I love feeling smooth platinum between my fingers, but diamonds, not so much. For far future reasons, if you want to give the ring to your daughter, an eternity really can't be sized but a 5 stone can. And last and most important, the additional money involved to change it could equate to another whole ring or a couple of VCA pieces!!! So I love your ring as it is! (Just trying to add some balance to your thoughts!) ;))

HI DS, thanks for the balancing reminder. Goodness knows I need it. Very true about the sizing thing. I could leave one piece unset, right? Asscher_girl did that with her ERD reset. I'm not totally sure how I would feel about diamonds on the palm side. Hmmm... It might be an issue...

Pricing wise, I figure I can pick out my own stones. They run $500-$600 each. $600 x 8 = $4800. If you add the setting, it's another $1000-$1500, maybe. Yeah, maybe under $7K. Ok, time to start saving. By the time I have saved that much, I may not want it anymore. :lol:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh... bleargh. You're supposed to be sure of your reset settings choices so I can copy that certainty - waffling is my territory :-o :bigsmile:

A thirty-pointer eternity on your little fingers would be MASSIVE and BLINGY and completely, utterly enviable. And I know what you mean re. seeing metal - I have a one-stone space on my eternity and even *that* bugs me when it spins to the top! But the advantage of being somewhat sizable is worth it, IMO, and I would definitely recommend it if you do go the eternity route.

I love the look of diamond band with plain band :love: And... well, horrifying as it is, I do understand re. choosing not to wear one's Ering. For me it was that the Ering was more delicate, needed more care, more babying... I'm super easy on my jewellery but wearing a diamond band I can basically just forget about until it happens to catch my eye is a "mind-clean" feeling bigger bling apparently couldn't trounce. That said, it's clear how much you love your Ering and OMG your reset is out-of-this-world GORGEOUS and I'm begging you not to part with it!!! Even if it does become a special-occasion piece to your workhorse fivestone (or perhaps a future eternity) - that's a heck of a special occasion ring :love:

DS makes good points about keeping it a five-stone... esp. if you plan to give it to a child one day! I will say that my mum's fivestone is perfect for her: she's hard on her fingers and wouldn't change a lifetime of habit to protect a ring, so an eternity would've just meant queuing up the repairs. But you've kept your delicate VC in wonderful condition so that's IMO pretty good indication that another delicate ring isn't doomed :bigsmile:

pinkgem2522

Shiny_Rock
Nice job! Looks great!

bugbear

Shiny_Rock
What a great project. I love your new ring :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, knowing all of us, we could always change our minds by the time we save the money! :lol: There have been lots of trends on here and they come and go as our ideas change! We are talking about classics, though, with both eternity and 5 stone rings, at least!

kemurphy

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What a great transformation! It looks wonderful!

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love love your 5-stone ring. Your finger size is quite similar to mine (mine is a 4). So thanks for enabling, hahahaha :lol:.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@LLJsmom -

Do you still have this ring? Do you still wear it? It's lovely!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results