shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut lovers...buy or not??

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I have lurked a long time here but still have so much to learn! I was hoping some old cut lover might chime in on these pictures. I have had my eye on this ring available locally. I posted this ring already but the seller has just sent me magnified photos and I'd love to have more opinions. Appraisal says .93 ct old mine cut I colour, I2 clarity. Price is now dropped to $850 CAD. I really like the setting, but want a decent, sparkly diamond. No need for super performance - this is my only diamond, replacing a stolen antique ring (which didn't have terrific performance at all :). I do love a bargain, too, it must be said. I'm not in a hurry and happy to wait if this is not a great choice. I can't see where the inclusions are lol. My eyes must be really bad! Thanks for any and all input - I truly appreciate it!
IMG_7672.JPG IMG_7674.JPG IMG_7679.JPG IMG_7681.JPG IMG_7683.JPG

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks ok, but I would not buy an I2. Just my preference. And the cut is ok but I prefer a flowery pattern. However it depends on how much you want to spend. And I cannot tell how sparkly it is in the pics. In the end to me a deal isn't a deal if I don't love it.

Q

Queenie60

I2 would be a no go for me.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The price is very good for a .92 however, it does look to have some flea bites around the girdle and maybe something big enough to call a chip.
If you reset it you need to put it in a setting that will protect the girdle. Do you know how many mm it is (size)?

Can you take it outside and see how it does in the sun? Does it put off some nice fire? Take it under a tree with a little bit of shade and see how it looks.
Looks like some kind of feathery thing going on on the left and not sure what that is on the right...big flea bite/chip? or???
oec capture.PNG

mockturtle

Rough_Rock
Super newbie here. That said, I agree, I wouldn't buy an I2 either.
Once I bought a ring online. The seller assured me it was eyeclean. When I received it, it had a large white inclusion visible from the top. It was a nightmare to return, and I lost some money in the end.
The spot under 10-11 o'clock prong in the first 4 pictures and 4-5 o'clock position in the last picture remind me of the inclusion the stone I bought had. The inclusion in my case was only visible from certain angles. My local appraiser graded it I1. In your seller's stone, it may just be some weird reflection, but I see it in all of the pictures.
With some luck and patience, you'll find a nicer stone. Good luck!

Edited to clarify 4-5 o'clock, not 3-4.

Last edited:

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
I don't have it in hand yet...I can ask for a pic and a size in mm..the size wasn't in the appraisal. I agree a bezel reset might be the thing - with lots of milgrain!

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
Hmmmm. I can see that now - large white cloudy thing by the prong. Thanks for that input.

totallyfree

Shiny_Rock
Yes for a bracelet or pendant, no for a ring (based on pics)

However if you take it outside and you like the flashes then get it - you're the one who will be wearing it :)

What's your budget?

muskokathompson

Rough_Rock
Budget is under $1000 I hope. :).
I'm passing on this one - the white blob would drive me crazy I think.
Thanks for everyone's input!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results