shape
carat
color
clarity

Old cut insurance question....

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called a local jeweler (we just moved, so I don't have someone I really know...) and asked if they had one of those tweezer prong things that will hold a diamond above your finger. They said they didn't and of course asked me to come in and put it in a setting. Yeah, No.

I told them it was an OEC pear and they probably had no settings to fit. The owner was very excited and wanted to see it in person as he had never seen one and told me I could use the loupe to check the inclusions (I was going to buy one since my GIA cert did not have an inclusion plot and I wanted to see if there were any inclusions that could interfere with my setting plans.) I insured it first for WHAT I PAID and then took it in, just in CASE they damaged it. I think there was a horror story on here about a jeweler chipping a diamond? Anyway...

He had a big screen TV and a microscope and we louped the diamond. He raved about it, couldn't believe it was SI 1 as there were very few inclusions and we had to HUNT to find them, should be a VS 2, etc. He also thought it was a modern cut as "the cut was WAY too good to be an old cut." However, this was AFTER I pointed out the faceted girdle and stated that I was sure that it had girdle work done since it was an old cut and was probably chipped.

Which gave me pause. IF it is indeed a modern re-cut into an OEC (which I don't care, because it's my dream stone,) should I just insure it for rap on a modern cut pear? I KNOW if something happened to it, there is NO way I could find a stone this beautiful for what I paid.

What would you do in my situation as far as insurance? Right now it is insured for about $500 over what I paid.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the popularity of old stones has caused a lot of tweaking to be done to new stones to make them appear old and people really need to be aware of that. I personally do not have a problem with it, because I bought a newly cut OEC myself. But the difference is that in my case, the fact that the stone was newly cut was disclosed. I think your stone definitely LOOKS like an antique, but clearly if it has a faceted girdle, it has had girdle rehab at minimum or is a new pear with some pavilion work to make it look antique. Regardless, I really like it! :love:

Unless I get a stone second hand at a true discount off of retail pricing, I always insure for what I paid because that is what I am protecting, the money I paid for the item. Even if it is a true antique, it's not like you could replace it with an exact replica like you can with a round or other common stone anyway. You might find something else you like more at the time. I'd leave the insurance as it is since you paid a retail price for it.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1462315497|4026786 said:
I think the popularity of old stones has caused a lot of tweaking to be done to new stones to make them appear old and people really need to be aware of that. I personally do not have a problem with it, because I bought a newly cut OEC myself. But the difference is that in my case, the fact that the stone was newly cut was disclosed. I think your stone definitely LOOKS like an antique, but clearly if it has a faceted girdle, it has had girdle rehab at minimum or is a new pear with some pavilion work to make it look antique. Regardless, I really like it! :love:

Unless I get a stone second hand at a true discount off of retail pricing, I always insure for what I paid because that is what I am protecting, the money I paid for the item. Even if it is a true antique, it's not like you could replace it with an exact replica like you can with a round or other common stone anyway. You might find something else you like more at the time. I'd leave the insurance as it is since you paid a retail price for it.

Thanks DS! I'll keep it as is....

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cookiebuttermonster

Rough_Rock
I don't have any input on your question, but I got my stone holders from Otto Frei: [urlhttp://www.ottofrei.com/Diamond-Papers-Forms-Selling-Aids/][/url]

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results