shape
carat
color
clarity

Old “gold” bracelet and necklace

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Recently my grandfather passed and as we are going through things we are finding jewelry here and there. Not surprising as my Grammy was a total magpie.

Most items have been easy to identify as either costume or real. There are two that I can’t figure out. I’m not interest in value per se, more just curiosity.

Necklace with an eagle pendant. Appears as a gold color, but seems too coppery to be yellow gold, but also doesn’t have a speck of patina or tarnish. Of course not a stamp anywhere. Same with the bracelet. Same color, chunky figaro style, no tarnish or patina and simple a capital A stamped on the clasp.

Any ideas?

Sorry to hear about his passing. Sending good thoughts to you and your family. Do you have pics of the bracelet and necklace you'd like to share? I don't know squat about valuation of antique jewelry, but I'm always happy to see more pics of shinies!

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
No stamp means it's pretty certain to be costume jewelry. No maker would stamp his mark without indicating the gold percentage if in fact the item was gold.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't automatically rule it out from being gold. My grandma left me a jade and gold bracelet that has no hallmark on it, and it had also turned coppery in color. My jeweller told me it was 9k gold. At 9k, there was a lot more copper mixed in which is why it can change color with age.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results