shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok, you are all probably going to hate this but I love it !

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Well my black diamond paved ring fetish is finally over. I had a spare stone lying around for a while now and I really wanted to get it made up into a ring for my better half as a Christmas present. So I thought, what the heck, lets do the black diamond thing. I like the look but not the craftmanship - the ring is poorly made in my opinion and it's going back in the new year to be tweaked (especially the prongs which are too large).

I really like it, but ignoring the craftmanship, what do you think ? Good, bad and ugly all gratefully recieved.

DSC01807A.jpg

SKR

Shiny_Rock

DSC01800A.jpg

SKR

Shiny_Rock

DSC01811A.jpg

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
I hadn''t seen black diamond pave. Does it sparkle a lot due to the fact that they are still diamonds?

I think the idea has potential - but is missing something that relates the center stone to the black diamond pave below.

It''s like you''re almost to something unique and really classic.

Oxidized white gold prongs? A black diamond halo? I''m just thinking.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi SKR!

Well, it''s certainly different, should be quite the conversation piece! I wish I could see it in person. Photos rarely do rings justice.

I''ll be honest, I don''t hate it, and I don''t love it. I really don''t know what to think....Do the black diamonds sparkle?

At any rate, if you love it, that''s half the battle. Hope your (VERY LUCKY) other half loves it too!

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
You asked for an opinion good or bad;

I don't like the largish prongs on the center stone. I don't like the look of black diamonds as to me, a gemstone should have either a beautiful color, wonderful light return and sparkle, or exhibit some phenomenal characteristic such as asterism etc. I don't like the dark look of the band and the black diamonds. I do like the general style of the ring.

Now the good news- If you like it, that's the bottom line!
35.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 8:08:00 AM
Author: tanuki

I think the idea has potential - but is missing something that relates the center stone to the black diamond pave below.
I agree. I was thinking, maybe not ALL black pave, but to mix them with regular pave....

darling

Shiny_Rock
I like it. I don''t think everyone could pull that look off, but I am sure your other half will, or you would not have made it. More shots please, especially hand shots.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Halo's are definately a no no as I know she is neutral to them at best.

The black diamonds do shine but thats not in the traditional sense - there is no internal light reflection but they are polished so exhibit a mirror like shine effect.

It's already a conversation piece ! - 3 customers at the jeweller had a look at it - 2 really liked it and thought it was unique - especially one of them who thought it was gorgeous. The third lady was about to vomit
9.gif

Also, it's not all black - I will post a side shot in a minute.

The stone is 1.7cts.

The prongs definitely need tweaking and they will be modified - the thing is I can change the ring as much as I want without problem. The black diamonds cost pretty much nothing. So all your opinions, good or bad are valued - if she doesnt like it the mixed white and black pave could be an idea.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 8:50:12 AM
Author: darling
I like it. I don''t think everyone could pull that look off, but I am sure your other half will, or you would not have made it. More shots please, especially hand shots.
Thanks. I will post a handshot tomorrow - have to wait for Santa''s delivery via reindeer post first !

UCLABelle

Ideal_Rock
I will be 100% honest:

I LOVE BLACK DIAMONDS IN PAVE....

However, I think it looks too much like a "very very strange e-ring" that could possibly be fake. I am not sure, is it to be a rhr?

In any event....I would put the middle row of pave in white diamonds to match the center stone and keep the black diamonds next to them. That would make it a bit less strange/questionable.

C Smith

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 9:17:03 AM
Author: UCLABelle
I will be 100% honest:

However, I think it looks too much like a ''very very strange e-ring'' that could possibly be fake. I am not sure, is it to be a rhr?

In any event....I would put the middle row of pave in white diamonds to match the center stone and keep the black diamonds next to them. That would make it a bit less strange/questionable.

That sounds interesting!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with making the middle pave white and keep the rest black. I think it''s cool, but it would be a very personal choice if it''s for an e-ring.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
I will be 100% honest:

However, I think it looks too much like a 'very very strange e-ring' that could possibly be fake. I am not sure, is it to be a rhr?

No its not an engagement ring. I want to keep the pave all black but if she doesnt like it, the middle row of paved white diamonds sounds really interesting.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. I don''t hate you
2.gif
but my very first impression of the shank of that ring was: motor-oil covered auto parts. I like black diamonds & have seen a channel set ring that I thought was STUNNING ... but the pave just seems gloppy & gunked up & oily IMHO. My instinct is to come rescue the poor pretty RB! Sorry!

cnspotts

Brilliant_Rock
Okay, I''m going to be different here and say that I really like it! Maybe it''s not perfect but I like how different it is and if it was going to be a an e-ring (sounds like it''s not) it would look gorgeous with two white diamond pave bands on either side. My only concern is now that it might look like marcasite which isn''t so pretty imo.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
okay wait you said your better half. is this a ring for a man or lady?

if it''s a man, i think the stone is too large for my taste for a man...but i love the idea of black diamond pave. a smaller stone or a wider more flat ring that kind of encompasses the whole width of the stone, rather than rounded more feminine looking ring in pave would be great i think for a man. if it''s a lady, i don''t know...it''s tough and would have to do with specific tastes for sure.

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 12:51:14 PM
Author: decodelighted
Hmmm. I don''t hate you
2.gif
but my very first impression of the shank of that ring was: motor-oil covered auto parts. I like black diamonds & have seen a channel set ring that I thought was STUNNING ... but the pave just seems gloppy & gunked up & oily IMHO. My instinct is to come rescue the poor pretty RB! Sorry!
The black diamonds could be better but to be honest they are not that bad. They shine ok ish. However, I have no experience of black diamonds so I have no idea whether these are anywhere near top notch.

Forget the stone - I may need rescuing tomorrow !! Anyone willing to take in a lodger for a few days ?

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 1:14:42 PM
Author: Mara
okay wait you said your better half. is this a ring for a man or lady?

if it''s a man, i think the stone is too large for my taste for a man...but i love the idea of black diamond pave. a smaller stone or a wider more flat ring that kind of encompasses the whole width of the stone, rather than rounded more feminine looking ring in pave would be great i think for a man. if it''s a lady, i don''t know...it''s tough and would have to do with specific tastes for sure.
For a lady. Men and jewellery shouldnt mix in my opinion - well at least I hate wearing any - looks far better on women.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 1:58:25 PM
Author: SKR

Forget the stone - I may need rescuing tomorrow !! Anyone willing to take in a lodger for a few days ?
I''ll take ya in, if you promise to buy me something in return.
9.gif
2.gif

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
THAT is awesome!! Would even make me consider a diamond in such a setting!! REALLY REALLY cool!!!

Thanks for showing it. Would love to see some hand shots!!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually I *love* it!!! the black diamonds add color, texture, contrast and take NOTHING from the center stone - it''s very elegant - but I''m LOL about "having an extra stone lying around" lol I''d wear it! It''s handsome (in a dietrich or hepburn sort of way) and unique and I just really like it!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 8:54:32 AM
Author: SKR
Halo''s are definately a no no as I know she is neutral to them at best.

The black diamonds do shine but thats not in the traditional sense - there is no internal light reflection but they are polished so exhibit a mirror like shine effect.

It''s already a conversation piece ! - 3 customers at the jeweller had a look at it - 2 really liked it and thought it was unique - especially one of them who thought it was gorgeous. The third lady was about to vomit
9.gif

Also, it''s not all black - I will post a side shot in a minute.

The stone is 1.7cts.

The prongs definitely need tweaking and they will be modified - the thing is I can change the ring as much as I want without problem. The black diamonds cost pretty much nothing. So all your opinions, good or bad are valued - if she doesnt like it the mixed white and black pave could be an idea.
the mixed white and black pave would be nice if there was no center stone - like stars in the night sky.... but I think they would take away from the center stone - draw the eye from it. IMO the black diamonds are not instead of white or colored gemstones -they''re instead of plain metal LOL I love it as it - tweak the prongs and its good to go!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will be 100% honest:

However, I think it looks too much like a ''very very strange e-ring'' that could possibly be fake. I am not sure, is it to be a rhr?

that might be pretty...... or it might look a bit lke pepe le pew lol

partyjewels

Shiny_Rock
I actually really love it!! If your better half doesn''t like it, you can send it my way and I''ll gladly wear it
9.gif
Although I do agree with tanuki, maybe ozidized white gold prongs... something to tie the clear diamond in would be awesome, I''m not sure if it''s even possible, but it is possible to have black titanium prongs???? Or am I just nuts here? It''s just a thought, and I really don''t know what I''m talking about when it comes to metals and things, I just know if I like it or not! lol. I do love the ring as is, and am looking forward to seeing hand shots!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
I like it. A lot, actually. It sure makes that center diamond pop, and I like the style of the ring. I wouldn''t want it for an engagement ring, but it would make a fantastic RHR because who doesn''t want to wear diamonds on both hands, but it won''t compete with the bridal jewelry. Anyway, I think it''s a pretty cool thing to do with a "spare diamond" (LOL!) you just happen to have lying around. It would be really gorgeous with a little black dress, so if she doesn''t have a new one you may have to spring for that as well -- something in an eveningwear satin....

jenniegirlm

Shiny_Rock
i like how the black diamonds still sparkle! maybe a bezel set diamond so that it''s not "all white" in comparison to the black diamonds? i agree with the above pooster re: liking the idea but something''s missing.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 4:09:59 PM
Author: lumpkin
I like it. A lot, actually. It sure makes that center diamond pop, and I like the style of the ring. I wouldn''t want it for an engagement ring, but it would make a fantastic RHR because who doesn''t want to wear diamonds on both hands, but it won''t compete with the bridal jewelry. Anyway, I think it''s a pretty cool thing to do with a ''spare diamond'' (LOL!) you just happen to have lying around. It would be really gorgeous with a little black dress, so if she doesn''t have a new one you may have to spring for that as well -- something in an eveningwear satin....
oooh lumpkin you''re so right!! this ring is PERFECT for a black tie event!!!

SKR

Shiny_Rock
OMG - we have some positives !! My future may not be so bleak afterall.......
9.gif

SKR

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/24/2006 6:58:54 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 12/24/2006 4:09:59 PM
Author: lumpkin
I like it. A lot, actually. It sure makes that center diamond pop, and I like the style of the ring. I wouldn''t want it for an engagement ring, but it would make a fantastic RHR because who doesn''t want to wear diamonds on both hands, but it won''t compete with the bridal jewelry. Anyway, I think it''s a pretty cool thing to do with a ''spare diamond'' (LOL!) you just happen to have lying around. It would be really gorgeous with a little black dress, so if she doesn''t have a new one you may have to spring for that as well -- something in an eveningwear satin....
oooh lumpkin you''re so right!! this ring is PERFECT for a black tie event!!!
Lumpkin / Cehrabehra - and my wife loves wearing black. I never really thought of that originally.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results