shape
carat
color
clarity

OK to dip white gold in yellow?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
OK, here''s the situation...
My friend is looking for a ring for his girlfriend. They have VERY little money to work with, so we are searching pawn shops. We have found a few things that are in the category of what she likes... But most of it is in white gold and she really likes yellow. The jewelers at some of the places told us that they could dip the pieces in yellow gold. Will this look ok if we do that? I realize that it will wear with time and have to be re-dipped (but that''s what I do with my white gold anyways...) Should we go with this option, keep looking, or just get her the beautiful ring we found even though it''s in white gold?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
It's ok, but it will get spotty quickly and need to be redipped very often at a not super cheap price. Not worth it IMO...

ETA: Wait, she wants to dip it in yellow? Not sure if that's possible...when they dip yellow gold to make it white they are actually dipping it in rhodium not gold...I'd call a reputable jeweler and ask or maybe an appraiser will chime in here...sorry I thought she wanted to make it white!

MMT

Ideal_Rock
Never heard of that. I think you would be better off if you keep looking for a yelllow gold set. If you can dip in yellow gold the price of that is going to add up also.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
white gold is more classic --if you have found an attractive ring at a good price i would go with white. Also, in my opinion, jewelry of more modest size and styling often looks better in white.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
How much will they charge for the dipping process?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 2:41:44 PM
Author: swingirl
How much will they charge for the dipping process?

I think it was something like $20 or so.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 1:23:59 PM
Author: bgray
white gold is more classic --if you have found an attractive ring at a good price i would go with white. Also, in my opinion, jewelry of more modest size and styling often looks better in white.

Yeah, I agree. I an a white gold girl myself. However, she just really likes the way that yellow gold looks on her skin, so I am going to try to find something in yellow. But for the price and quality of some of the things i''ve found, if I can''t find something comparable in yellow, we''ll just go with the white. Really, as long as it sparkles she will be happy!

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Keep looking. There ARE yellow gold mountings out there for folks with modest budgets. Plating a white one is a setup for trouble. On an engagement ring, she will be redoing it every few months for the rest of her life.

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

merrymunky

Brilliant_Rock
I would be inclined to say keep looking for a yew gold ring.

I recently asked here about getting my yellow gold engagement ring dipped in white gold as I have always really preferred silver tones on me rather than yellow gold. I only chose yellow gold at the time because I was wearing yellow gold on my other hand. Plus it was much more readily available when I got my e.ring.

However, after asking for advice here I decided to leave my yellow gold ring alone as I did not want it to look patchy and tacky. Instead I went out and bought a white gold e.ring to wear instead. My yellow gold ring is tucked away safe, untouched.

So yeah, I would say if yellow gold is what she really wants, then keep looking. No pont palming her off with something that is not the real deal.

What kind of ring does she want? Specs?

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/26/2008 1:23:59 PM
Author: bgray
Well, this is your opinion...she might think that yellow gold is more classic. I would get the yellow gold if that is what she wants.

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/26/2008 3:48:47 PM
Author: merrymunky
I would be inclined to say keep looking for a yew gold ring.

I recently asked here about getting my yellow gold engagement ring dipped in white gold as I have always really preferred silver tones on me rather than yellow gold. I only chose yellow gold at the time because I was wearing yellow gold on my other hand. Plus it was much more readily available when I got my e.ring.

However, after asking for advice here I decided to leave my yellow gold ring alone as I did not want it to look patchy and tacky. Instead I went out and bought a white gold e.ring to wear instead. My yellow gold ring is tucked away safe, untouched.

So yeah, I would say if yellow gold is what she really wants, then keep looking. No pont palming her off with something that is not the real deal.

What kind of ring does she want? Specs?

The basics are: Yellow gold, princess cut. She likes channel set side stones better than pave... But she would be ok with a solitaire as well. I am just looking for something eye clean, decent cut with lots of sparkle, and probably no less than an "I" color. Although, she is not that color sensitive, so we could go warmer in color if it was a well cut stone.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
I agree with everyone else! The amount of extra money, not to mention time and inconvenience, of having to frequently dip a ring just doesn''t seem worth it. Spend a little extra time finding a yellow gold setting to start with, like the others said, nice, inexpensive sets are out there, and I think your friend would end up saving money in the long run.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results