shape
carat
color
clarity

OK then, with a five stone...

What is better/blingier/cooler looking:

• 1) All stones the same size, each 0.35ct, G color, 1.75cttw.

Votes: 31 62.0%
  • 2) Graduated: 0.20 -- 0.33 -- 0.50 -- 0.33 -- 0.20, G color, 1.56cttw.

Votes: 19 38.0%

• Total voters

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
What is better/blingier/cooler looking:

1) All stones the same size, each 0.30ct, G color, 1.50cttw. 21.7mm horizontal finger coverage.

2) Graduated: 0.20 -- 0.33 -- 0.50 -- 0.33 -- 0.20, G color, 1.56cttw. 21.7mm horizontal finger coverage.

It would be a stand alone ring.

Sparkledrops

Brilliant_Rock
That's a really tough question for me! I have been wondering the same thing myself. I LOVE five stone bands. I have a smaller one where the stones are all the same size and would LOVE to upgrade. I think I prefer the look of all diamonds the same size. Just so classic and elegant!

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's an easy question for me, but then only because I'm biased. I have a graduated 5 stone ring and I'd rather have a 5 stone same size instead. Mine is much smaller cwt, I think 1.20, but I really like the look of same sized stones better. I think there is more consistent sparkle. Maybe I'm just tired of wearing the one I have everyday for the last 13 years though. I also love the look of a same sizer with a wedding band. It looks more finished to me or something. YMMV of course. Good luck!

siamese3

Brilliant_Rock
I have a five stone with 30 pointers and it's a nice size for me. I wear it primarily on my right hand. Sometimes alone and sometimes stacked with a memoire rolling ring with small diamonds. I think a band with the same size stones is very classic, although I know I've seen some lovely graduated five stone bands on pricescope. I do have a thread with pics of my band if you're interested. I have the dream eternity with seven pointers I wear on my left hand.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
I've been looking at 5 stone rings and I have to say 5 non-graduated .3 ct each would be lovely!!! Good coverage, very blingy.

Just a note...the poll says that the non-graduated version would be 1.75ct, but your post says 1.5.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
I would do the same size as big as you can get. Maybe call ID jewelry and see if you can get up to .35 or .4 each? That would be very nice finger coverage. I don't love the graduated look, it shows more metal and is less "blingy"....I just prefer the classic 5 stone look myself.

If I had your $4000 budget I would get this, hands down no question:
http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Modern-and-Estate-Pieces/190ctw-Cushion-Cut-Diamond/15457718_AmoRU#1157329149_Se3Gr

(it's on the anniversary band section of her website)

Awesome finger covereage and right at budget..... come on, let me live vicariously through you! And with the elongated shape it would be very nice in the finger covereage for a RHR.....

coati

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think same size would be blingier, but I'd opt for (and this is just me) one with a nice graceful curve to eliminate side overhang. I prefer graduated 5 stone rings in more antique or vintage designs. For contemporary-I vote same size.

pixies

Shiny_Rock
I voted for all the same size. I posted pictures/my reasoning in the hangout thread earlier today but I'll recap: I just think it would have much better presence with the diamonds being the same size. I think the graduation would just take away from the bling impact because you'd be drawn to the center of the ring instead of looking at the whole piece.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think graduated would be more exciting. Especially if your setting emphasized the graduated stones.

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
Biased, but for the blingiest look I would go for 5 x 30 pointers.

That is what my eternity ring was before I added another 2 stones. It is very much a stand alone piece at that size especially if you have a finger size large enough to do it straight across. That would have been my preference but with a size 4.5 it wasn't possible so it had to go round my finger IYKWIM.

Can't wait to see it!! We will have a very similar collection, even if you have more taste than me and don't wear it all together!! :bigsmile:

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I vote for the same size stones!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've seen so many all the same size lately, I'm thinking graduated. Besides, I've always wanted a graduated eternity (from one point to one carat lol)

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I think both are good, but I voted for graduated because I assume you would use this as a RHR. As a ring to be worn with a wedding band, I would do all the same size.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given that horizontal diamond coverage always does look less/thinner IRL w/ two eyes than in photos - odds are you're going to see some skin on both sides after the stones end. So I prefer the graduated look, like Coati said.

Untitled_1.png

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1313223571|2989907 said:
Given that horizontal diamond coverage always does look less/thinner IRL w/ two eyes than in photos - odds are you're going to see some skin on both sides after the stones end. So I prefer the graduated look, like Coati said.

Untitled_1.png

Great demonstration!

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would prefer same size. But it's a personal preference, you can't go wrong with either!

Bella_mezzo

Ideal_Rock
I prefer same size, but it depends on the setting...

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
To me the uniform 5-stone is a more classic look that you would be less likely to get tired of in the future. I also think that with stones of the size you are considering the graduation of the diamonds wouldn't stand out that well.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what the graduated band would look like. Stolen from Gypsy's thread of 2009, CAD image made by Stone Cold!! :))

.18 -- .33 -- .50 -- .33 -- .18

graduated band.jpg

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Oh, so you're not looking at a big difference between the stones (they actually look the same size in that CAD).

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
centralsquare|1313252347|2990061 said:
Oh, so you're not looking at a big difference between the stones (they actually look the same size in that CAD).

It is subtle, but I think noticable. Especially between the .18 and the .50!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1313251813|2990055 said:
This is what the graduated band would look like. Stolen from Gypsy's thread of 2009, CAD image made by Stone Cold!! :))

.18 -- .33 -- .50 -- .33 -- .18

ROFLMAO. Obviously, there's a reason why I voted graduated.

I like my pieces to look different from each other. So for me since you already have a lovely straight band I would go for the graduated. That's my preference. Everyone is different in their desires for their collection!

I said #2 .... there are so many regular 5 stones!

But if you were going to wear it when the e-ring I would say #1

p.s. I love your polls :cheeky: I always take them even if I don't comment!

AnneinGA

Shiny_Rock
Dreamer, I voted the graduated as well. I looked at both and Brian at BGD was a master at doing the curve so I didn't lose the stones on the side; I do have a larger finger so it worked well. The way mine is a curving arc of diamonds rather than the straight line as Yssie's post so awesomely demonstrated!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Anne :)|1313350399|2990705 said:
Dreamer, I voted the graduated as well. I looked at both and Brian at BGD was a master at doing the curve so I didn't lose the stones on the side; I do have a larger finger so it worked well. The way mine is a curving arc of diamonds rather than the straight line as Yssie's post so awesomely demonstrated!

I forgot about your ring, thanks for the reminder! Same proportions as 777_LDY, and it looks great on your both.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
bean|1313349225|2990692 said:
I said #2 .... there are so many regular 5 stones!

But if you were going to wear it when the e-ring I would say #1

p.s. I love your polls :cheeky: I always take them even if I don't comment!

Hee hee, glad you enjoy them! :tongue:

Not worn with an e-ring, more as a stand alone.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote tapered! That CAD is just luscious. :naughty:

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
lyra|1313194830|2989735 said:
That's an easy question for me, but then only because I'm biased. I have a graduated 5 stone ring and I'd rather have a 5 stone same size instead. Mine is much smaller cwt, I think 1.20, but I really like the look of same sized stones better. I think there is more consistent sparkle. Maybe I'm just tired of wearing the one I have everyday for the last 13 years though. I also love the look of a same sizer with a wedding band. It looks more finished to me or something. YMMV of course. Good luck!
Do have a photo of your 5 stone? I am looking a a five stone too and there aren't many with graduated stones.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
swingirl|1313355378|2990748 said:
lyra|1313194830|2989735 said:
Do have a photo of your 5 stone? I am looking a a five stone too and there aren't many with graduated stones.

Swingirl did you see the graduated band that Hey Joe made for his wife? It is really pretty: .25ct -- .40ct -- .50ct

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/graduated-5-stone.132571/

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
If it was a graduated band, which of the proportions do you prefer, the smaller or bigger center stone?

graduated5stone.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results