shape
carat
color
clarity

ok stone? bad setting?

motorman

Rough_Rock
I bought this 0.70/H/SI1/EX stone along with a 18k white gold channel setting.

For about $2200 it is an okay stone I think. Not quite hearts and arrows. =) but I'm with a tight budget.

I am, however, a bit concerned with the setting once I received it from the vendor. I like the look but I am afraid that

1. Under the channel part, the ring is hollow (see below for picture). I assumed this is quite often done but the more I read about it, the more I am concerned.

2. The shank is too thin (see below for picture). The advertised width is 1.9mm and I am measuring it at around 1.5mm (wide) x 2.0 mm (deep) on the thickest part. The concern is that this is also the "hollow" part mentioned above. The bottom part of the ring is, although solid is measured at 1 mm x 1 mm.

:?: I have 30 days to return it and I am wondering if I should. I could just go ahead and propose and return the ring and let her choose a setting.

In case anyone's wondering, the stone's specs are:
Measurements: 5.67 - 5.74 x 3.52 mm
Carat Weight: 0.70 carat
Color Grade: H
Clarity Grade: SI1
Cut Grade: Excellent
Proportions:
Depth: 61.7%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.0°
Crown Height: 15.0%
Pavilion Angle: 41.0°
Pavilion Depth: 43.5%
Star length: 55%
Lower Half: 75%
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick, Faceted
Culet: None
Finish:
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
Clarity Characteristics:
Feather
HCA 1.4

IMG_2272_cr (Large).JPG

IMG_2295 (Large).JPG

IMG_2326_cr (Large).JPG

IMG_2316 (Large).JPG

motorman

Rough_Rock
channel underside is hollow... but only under the diamonds...

The bottom of the ring is 1mm x 1mm.

IMG_2335 (Large).JPG

IMG_2322_cr (Large).JPG

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
it's a beautiful stone but I see what you mean about the setting. Maybe see what your GF thinks? To me if she likes it then that's all that matters.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I would look for a more substantial setting and perhaps one with an integrated head.

motorman

Rough_Rock
dumb question: what's an integrated head?

slg47|1309393516|2958523 said:
I would look for a more substantial setting and perhaps one with an integrated head.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you see the gap between the band and the head of the setting? an integrated setting does not have the gap. personally I do not like the gap but this is a matter of personal preference.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
slg47|1309393719|2958526 said:
do you see the gap between the band and the head of the setting? an integrated setting does not have the gap. personally I do not like the gap but this is a matter of personal preference.

I agree, it looks like one good knock and the head could dislocate. It's my understanding that many channel settings are being hollowed out like this for the sake of cutting cost. With gold prices rising faster than diamonds :rolleyes: , many jewelers are offering cost saving options. I know that they are available though and I'll take a look and try to find some options for you. You mentioned that you had a tight budget, if you don't mind me asking, what were you trying to stay at for the setting?

motorman

Rough_Rock
Christina...|1309394221|2958543 said:

I agree, it looks like one good knock and the head could dislocate. It's my understanding that many channel settings are being hollowed out like this for the sake of cutting cost. With gold prices rising faster than diamonds :rolleyes: , many jewelers are offering cost saving options. I know that they are available though and I'll take a look and try to find some options for you. You mentioned that you had a tight budget, if you don't mind me asking, what were you trying to stay at for the setting?

Thanks for explaining! The advertised price for this setting was $615. I got this setting for about $550 after an online coupon (7%) and a wire transfer discount (3%).

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
motorman|1309394555|2958544 said:
Christina...|1309394221|2958543 said:

Thanks for explaining! The advertised price for this setting was $615. I got this setting for about $550 after an online coupon (7%) and a wire transfer discount (3%).

Check out the setting I posted from Whiteflash. I think it was about 550.00 and it was one of my favorites. :appl: I was floored when I saw the price and it will be a much more substantial ring for you. And very pretty!! :love:

http://www.whiteflash.com/engagement-rings/diamond-settings/rounded-open-cathedral-diamond-engagement-ring-626.htm

Whiteflash has a great reputation around here for having excellent customer service and high quality jewelry! Cant go wrong! ;-)

mjertl

Shiny_Rock
oooh, I'm not a side-diamonds kinda girl really, but I do like the whiteflash setting mentioned above! the thing I kinda don't like about your setting is how high the diamond is set. some people might like that though - I'd be afraid it would snag

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
That whiteflash setting is lovely, and sort of in tune with your original design. The head looks like it might really snap off if it snagged badly on something as it is...

motorman

Rough_Rock
mjertl|1309404638|2958698 said:
oooh, I'm not a side-diamonds kinda girl really, but I do like the whiteflash setting mentioned above! the thing I kinda don't like about your setting is how high the diamond is set. some people might like that though - I'd be afraid it would snag

1. I like the setting! Not sure how I am going to do it though. I bought the stone and the setting together so it came mounted. I do not think I (or rather, WhiteFlash) can pry the prongs open to transfer the stone. That would void the warranty. So I have to somehow return the whole ring back to the original seller and get the stone back... Anyone's done this?

2. How do you guys like the stone? Is it good? I am not sure if I can see the feather which is supposed to make it SI1.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would return the setting if you can. I'd be concerned about how well it will hold up over time and normal wear and tear.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
motorman|1309438655|2958947 said:
mjertl|1309404638|2958698 said:

1. I like the setting! Not sure how I am going to do it though. I bought the stone and the setting together so it came mounted. I do not think I (or rather, WhiteFlash) can pry the prongs open to transfer the stone. That would void the warranty. So I have to somehow return the whole ring back to the original seller and get the stone back... Anyone's done this?

2. How do you guys like the stone? Is it good? I am not sure if I can see the feather which is supposed to make it SI1.

Most SI1 are eye clean so you probably won't be able to see feather. I think you did well with the diamond. You can return the ring to the vendor and tell them that you would like the diamond sent back to you loose. They will then remove it from the setting with no risk to you and then return the stone to you, or you can have them send it directly to whiteflash for mounting, WF would then set the diamond and return the finished ring to you. Vendor very oftern set diamonds from other vendors so this shouldn't be an issue. You of course will need to call Whiteflash and order the setting and advice them of the diamond being sent to them for setting. Sometimes there is a small fee for setting a diamond from another vendor so you will want to ask WF about that as well. I'm happy that you like the setting, I think that your going to be much happier and it is beautiful! Congratulations!!! :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results