shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok so what is it with Cats and Jewelry?

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Seriously, from the number of cats in the avatars of the ladies of pricescope - I would actually warn my single friends to stay clear of cat owning singles unless they have large disposable incomes to splurge on jewelry to keep their SO happy :tongue:

So what is it with cats and loving gems, diamonds and jewelry? It seems disproportionate to me.

Oh. And I have a cat too. Picked him up as an abandoned stray... grew up to be a real lovable nuisance. :rolleyes: Cats...

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've got 2! They are really great boys. When I got married 11 years ago my DH was the one with the cat! I knew he was a good
guy!

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
TristanC|1311768660|2977877 said:
Seriously, from the number of cats in the avatars of the ladies of pricescope - I would actually warn my single friends to stay clear of cat owning singles unless they have large disposable incomes to splurge on jewelry to keep their SO happy.

LOL!

Got my cats all my life the same way, Tristan. Maybe the connection is that there is nothing more expensive than a "free" cat. Over the years I've put vets' kids through college, funded vet retirement plans, paid for their summer houses...all in renovating my sad-sack feline pals from the physical effects of having lived on the streets. They do polish up nicely, though -- one of my current cats is a sleepy orange diamond outside; inside, a true Type IIa, true & brilliant. The other one....well, he's kind of a rock you'd find in the back yard, can't be shaped or polished but containing a little silica that sparkles occasionally.

cookies

Brilliant_Rock
I love cats but didn't have one when I met my DH. Before that, I was making a conscious effort to avoid guys who hate cats (or animals in general). :tongue:

merilenda

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know, but I have 3 now. We weren't meaning to adopt a 3rd, but we got too attached to a foster.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have one cat, but I think diamond lovers tend to be animal lovers in general. We have a great many dog owners, cat owners, we have fish enthusiasts and several horse back riders here too!

I like cats because they re independent but they are calming too.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
It's not just women with diamonds who like cats better; women like cats better.

I read a study once; women don't need to dominate their pets like men do. You can't dominate a cat so men don't like them. Women don't mind.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love sparklies!!! I sm a former cat owner- still love them but allergies are too bad to have one currently :(--- and I'm a current dog owner.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I've got five. Yeah I know. FIVE.

I love my cats. As for the link between cats and jewelry-- don't know.

Honestly we have a ton of dog lovers on here too. I think it's just that we have people with generous hearts on here as a rule.

Since I haven't bragged for a while, I'll post a few recent pics on here. Hally and Lucy aren't in these. I'll have to add my girls later.

Here are my three boys.

Merlin Bright Eyed.jpg

Frodo a la lounge.jpg

Watching TV with the parents.jpg

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I am a cat jewelry person too. I have three cats!

violet3

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AmeliaG|1311781424|2978016 said:

I read a study once; women don't need to dominate their pets like men do. You can't dominate a cat so men don't like them. Women don't mind.

For the record, I'm a woman and I mind. This is not to say that i don't like cats -- I like them fine for the most part. But in general, I want an animal that does what i say and wants to please me.

My DH is allergic to cats, or otherwise we might have a cat in addition to our two dogs. I like that they are smart and inquisitive - i just wish they were more obedient.

EDIT: for those who do love cats, I'd love to hear your stories about what is so great about the feline group!!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Violet, I don't know about other's reasons for loving cats. But I've had both cats and dogs. Both my dogs have been German Shepards (one pure, other a mix) and they weren't blindly obedient. They were trained, but they definitely had distinct personalities. For me, dogs are too needy. There are very few dogs that I've been close to (that aren't older, or Saint Bernard or Newfie) that will just sit with you, and consider that quality time. They need to be petted or cuddled or played with or... whatever. If I had 5 dogs I'd never have any time to just sit quietly and be. With my cats, I can always do that. They don't get separation anxiety or start chewing my shoes if I decide I don't feel like petting them or paying attention to them. They are fine with just a quick scratch and sitting on my leg or next to me.

No they aren't obedient, but you can get them to follow some rules (some of the time). My Duncan is an angel. Really doesn't do anything wrong, ever (although he's recently developed an affinity for some random food he tries to sneak some of). My Hally can be impossible. My other's are somewhere in the middle.

I always have companionship. But I never feel overwhelmed or inconvenienced by my cat's needs for love and affection. They aren't clingy. They know they are adored, accept it as their due, and don't get anxious about it. With dogs, it seems like you have to show them you love them, prove to them how much you care... or they get insecure. They are very co-dependent. That's just... too much for me.

I would get another dog, if we had the space. But really only if we had kids (we are thinking about adopting) as neither one of us really deals well with the constant demands of a dog by ourselves. And even then we would get a more laid back breed that, after puppy hood, wasn't constantly in our faces all the time. We're both very much cat people to be honest.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Count me in the club! I have 2 cats. I got them as kittens last summer and they were my first cats. I adore them and wonder how I went so long without having a cat! I had only had dogs before.

Funny story, my teenage son was SOOOO against getting a cat. He literally cried and begged me to not get a cat because he hated them. And he was really angry at me for suggesting I bring home a cat. But I got one anyway (much to my other kids delight!). Within 2 days of bringing her home, my son was begging me to get a second cat because he loved the first one so much he was worried she would be lonely without a companion. I decided he was right and quickly got a second. Now my son has decided he is a hard and fast cat person and will own 2 cats when he grows up and can't ever date or marry anyone who does not like cats. I think that is really funny.

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
violet3|1311813388|2978444 said:
AmeliaG|1311781424|2978016 said:

For the record, I'm a woman and I mind. This is not to say that i don't like cats -- I like them fine for the most part. But in general, I want an animal that does what i say and wants to please me.

My DH is allergic to cats, or otherwise we might have a cat in addition to our two dogs. I like that they are smart and inquisitive - i just wish they were more obedient.

EDIT: for those who do love cats, I'd love to hear your stories about what is so great about the feline group!!!

It's just a generality. My mom feels the same way as you. She doesn't like cats that much; she prefers dogs because they are obedient.

My cat died a few years ago but she pleased me by just being herself, smart and inquisitive, like Gypsy said. But I was a pretty easygoing cat owner. As long as she sharpened her claws on her scratching post and not my furniture and used her litter box without making a mess, I was happy.

As independent as she was, she still was a people cat. She loved to cuddle and would always greet me at the door. But she didn't recognize a master or an alpha like a dog would. As long as she liked someone, she was the same friendly cat as she was with me. Honestly, that didn't bother me, but it would some people.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My cats greet us at the door too, Amelia! Isn't it wonderful. A chorus of "Hello!", "Where have you been!", "Do you have any idea what time it is young lady", and "I MISSED YOU!" meows every time you come home. Except Merlin. It's too much competition and he's the newbie. He hangs ackout staring at you INTENTLY hoping you will come over and say hi. And if you don't he'll meep at you to remind you he's there.

All of mine except Frodo are "people cats"... and Frodo is a "HIS people cat"... there are only 4 of us, but he's loyal.

They are very special. I'm sorry about the loss of your cat. Lucy's available to a good home still. *nudge, nudge* :tongue:

Tristan if you asked me to chose between a cat and a diamond, even if the cat wasn't mine and the diamond was... I would hand you the diamond and snatch that cat away from you so fast your head would spin.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
I am loving this thread. Despite the rather tongue in cheek dig at cat ownership, I love cats. In fact I love all animals in general.

The cat is my brothers so he stayed at my folks when I moved out, but I purchased 2 holland lops to try being a rabbit person instead. If you think cats won't do what you want... try rabbits. Haha. But they are adorable with their own little personalities. I had 8 hamsters prior (bless their cute little souls they only live 3 years. I can't deal with them dropping dead so fast), and not much else. I've been torturing myself after I had both of them fixed (a mixed pair of lops M&F), but they were going at it like well... rabbits, and he was pulling her hair out and she was escaping his advances 24/7. It was unbearable to see. Now they are absolutely inseperable and adorable.

The folks did not allow pets growing up so I had to go without - which is a waste. I would love a cat or two again in the future - I just need one that won't destroy furniture. I know... I know...

Kenny's shrimp nearly made me go out and get a tank. How are they by the way?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
It's really a myth that cats do not need people. They're not genetically pack animals, so they don't recognize hierarchies (& therefore have no need to please by being "trained") & they're sure not as needy as dogs, but they DO need company & affection. After all, they've been domesticated at least 5000 years! I had a cat who would cuddle w/everyone, but when I left on 2-wk business trips abroad, DH told me The Bear always sat by the door the 1st 4 days, waiting for me. Meat Loaf, one of my current cats, sleeps in my arms every night -- he could sleep w/DH, our other cat, the dogs -- or nobody, but he chooses to love up with me each & every night. Cats are ok alone for much longer periods than dogs but they do not do well solitary all the time.

I love their grace, cuckoo-ness & varied personalities. Endlessly interesting to watch. And it's impossible to be in a bad mood with a cat purring on your lap.

--- Laurie

kas baby

Brilliant_Rock
The worst part about going away to university was not being able to take my cats with me ;( not that my siblings would've allowed it anyway, lol. Can't say about the cat/animal/jewelry connection though

I've had two dogs, two hamsters, a guinea pig, one rabbit, and three cats. (not all at the same time!) The hamsters were ok, but I was totally in love with my guinea pig when I was little. Squabbles was his name, lol, I was really young. I loved my rabbit to bits, a mini rex (though my mom had a few fuzzy lops.) She was the sweetest thing ever, would just lay in my lap and let me play with her feet and pet her belly. I really miss her, but I don't think I would get another rabbit.

Our first dog we ended up giving to my aunt, on account that he was a monstrous size for a lab, was terrible at listening, and my youngest sister was really little and he would just walk all over her without even noticing. After that we rescued a dalmatian that was really the opposite of what you would think of for a dalmatian. She was short, stout, and lazy, but totally in love with us all. Especially my then bf, now FI; whenever he came over she got really excited, ran around the house a few times, got tired and tried to sit in his lap. She was the best.

Cats would be (and have been) the hardest for me to live without. I do like how they can be more independent, yet at the same time our cats definitely let us know if they need more attention (a chorus of "MEOW MEOW MEOW" and running under your feet will certainly get your attention.) One of them will always greet FI at the door and try to play with his shoelaces when he takes off his shoes. It's really funny.

For me they just seem to have the best fit as far as maintenance and personality goes. :))

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, thanks Gypsy. She was a special cat and I really miss her. I'm looking at moving right now which is not a good time to bring on a new pet but when things get sorted out, I'm thinking about getting another one.

I love dogs too; I grew up with Cocker Spaniels, but I'm living in an apartment, and dogs are too high maintenance for me right now. I think dogs really need a master. We had one dog growing up that my father didn't particularly bond with and the kids spoiled him; he was a little neurotic and very timid. The other dogs that my father bonded with were a lot more confident and overall happier. My father was the alpha male and they knew it. It made them feel secure.

I'm not up to being the alpha dog right now so cats are more conducive to my lifestyle.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 2 kittys need some airtime... Here is Boo Boo

IMG_6745.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And here is Taz...

IMG_7087.JPG

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1311864557|2978885 said:
And here is Taz...

Are you showing Taz your new Tsarvorites AGAIN? :tongue:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why...does he look bored? :bigsmile: To bad he doesnt have tsavorite colored eyes. :love:

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't understand.
You mean everyone isn't owned by at least one cat?
:bigsmile:

We have three. The Boys. Vince, Geddy, and Manny.
TyTy--Vince looks a lot like a slim, short-haired version of your Taz. Here's an old picture, but it's the best I can find where he's making a similar face:
HowieandVinceatPetsmart.JPG.jpg
And here are Geddy and Manny:
n1064133266_2057689_3444.jpg

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1311866499|2978921 said:
Why...does he look bored? :bigsmile: To bad he doesnt have tsavorite colored eyes. :love:

haha no, his eyes were green in the photo. Thought they were reflecting... would have said emerald, but can't remember if you have those.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mm1.png

... :praise:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yssie|1311915923|2979558 said:

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..............FUZZY WHITE BELLY ALERT!

:love:

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock
Here's a question. One cat better? Or Two?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
For me, there isn't a better. Two are terrific fun to watch if they get along like mine do now. Meat Loaf & Joe Don play & play & play, though Meat Loaf is probably 10 years older than JD. He pads up to Joey, whacks him across the face, and lies down on his back: "Okay, Jump me!" Joey obliges & they wrestle & bite & flap their tails. Suddenly they're grooming each other, exchanging affectionate baths. Seconds later they run the Iditarod, chasing one another around the house & sounding like a herd of horses!

However, I did have a cat who HATED the 2nd one I adopted a few years after getting her. She despised him all his 7 yrs left of life. Blew enormous hisses whenever he walked through the room. Hissed at me if she smelled on my hands that I'd been petting him. He was a wise old bird & completely ignored her (very insulting), so there were no rumbles between them. I could keep them without worrying but they sure didn't have any fun together!

Here are Meat Loaf (fat orange boy) & Joe Don doing their thing:

Boys Asleep.jpg

Joey & ML1.jpg

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
I'm loving all of these kitties!

Mwah mwah smooch smooch :love:

Wish I had a cat, but I move around too much, and haven't bought our house yet.

But then.... :Up_to_something:

We had several cats growing up. Love em.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results