shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok so I am alittle paranoid!

Ringsandthings

Rough_Rock
I proposed to my fiancé and now I am paranoid about everything with the ring . Haha. For instance tonight I had a few slices of pizza. Then five minutes later I was looking at it with my hands. Then I got paranoid bc there may have been pizza grease on my hands! I know I am crazy. Was anyone else like this with new ring?

What do you guys use to clean? My sister tells me to let it sit in windex and water mix for a few minutes then pat dry.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I put mine in a mug of water with a splash of dawn dishwashing detergent. I then microwave it until it starts to foam out of the cup. I let it sit about 5 minutes, then I clean it all off with a toothbrush and rinse. It always looks BRAND new.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1376348542|3501678 said:
I put mine in a mug of water with a splash of dawn dishwashing detergent. I then microwave it until it starts to foam out of the cup. I let it sit about 5 minutes, then I clean it all off with a toothbrush and rinse. It always looks BRAND new.

OMG :-o :errrr:

Conductivity table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity
And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic_metamaterial : Metals such as gold, silver, aluminum, and copper easily conduct currents at RF and microwave frequencies [...]

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1376349728|3501694 said:

OMG :-o :errrr:

Conductivity table: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_resistivity_and_conductivity
And http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photonic_metamaterial::: Metals such as gold, silver, aluminum, and copper easily conduct currents at RF and microwave frequencies [...]

yeah, I have an English degree. When it comes to physics, I'm a 2+2=chair kind of girl. :lol: What am I doing to my rings by cleaning them this way?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
soxfan|1376350474|3501707 said:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-clean-your-diamond-3

Here's a good tutorial. Don't listen to me....apparently I could have blown up my house like 1000 times. :???:

Oh I doubt you'd have blown up your house!! But seeing sparks between my prongs kinda like you do when you forget to take your dinner fork out of the bowl before microwaving would probably give me a heartattack :devil:

I've started leaving them in hot water overnight, no soap or anything. I'm honestly surprised by how clean everything stays just from the extended soaking! According to Mike R. I'm not going to do any damage with water - besides possibly finding it growing barnacles one morning :bigsmile:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1376351643|3501721 said:
soxfan|1376350474|3501707 said:
http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-clean-your-diamond-3

Here's a good tutorial. Don't listen to me....apparently I could have blown up my house like 1000 times. :???:

Oh I doubt you'd have blown up your house!! But seeing sparks between my prongs kinda like you do when you forget to take your dinner fork out of the bowl before microwaving would probably give me a heartattack :devil:

I've started leaving them in hot water overnight, no soap or anything. I'm honestly surprised by how clean everything stays just from the extended soaking! According to Mike R. I'm not going to do any damage with water - besides possibly finding it growing barnacles one morning :bigsmile:

I have SO many friends who microwave them. That's how I learned to do it! :lol: Maybe we were all just confused on the "add your ring AFTER heating the solution.." :lol:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
OK. So I use boiling water (that has been boiled without my rings in it) and dawn. Leave in for 20 minutes. Brush it all around. Put right back in. After another 20 (or longer) I brush it again. Then rinse and dry.
Once a week is all that's really needed. But I don't wear my rings at home. Only out of the house.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy|1376351754|3501724 said:
OK. So I use boiling water (that has been boiled without my rings in it) and dawn. Leave in for 20 minutes. Brush it all around. Put right back in. After another 20 (or longer) I brush it again. Then rinse and dry.

Yup this is pretty much what I do. Sometimes I use windex instead of dawn.

Seriously Soxfan you put your rings IN the MICROWAVE!!! :lol: :-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: When I first read that I thought you were mistaken and were only heating up the solution to put your rings in afterwards. Metal does not go in microwave ever! Definitely stop putting your rings in there!!!!!!!! Or perhaps look into better home insurance for fire.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
SB621|1376353082|3501741 said:
Gypsy|1376351754|3501724 said:

Yup this is pretty much what I do. Sometimes I use windex instead of dawn.

Seriously Soxfan you put your rings IN the MICROWAVE!!! :lol: :-o :-o :-o :shock: :shock: :shock: When I first read that I thought you were mistaken and were only heating up the solution to put your rings in afterwards. Metal does not go in microwave ever! Definitely stop putting your rings in there!!!!!!!! Or perhaps look into better home insurance for fire.

No, you read right. I just figured they were submerged, so??? :shock: :lol:

Ringsandthings

Rough_Rock
Ok so soaking it in windex for a few minutes when I get home will not harm anything

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ringsandthings|1376353285|3501743 said:
Ok so soaking it in windex for a few minutes when I get home will not harm anything

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: No, you'll be good.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ammonia can react with some white gold alloys if left overnight. So if you have white gold and want to soak overnight, Dawn is a safer bet. So is Mr. Clean (non-ammonia)

But a quick soak should be fine with ammonia. But again, safer with Dawn or Mr. Clean.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I clean mine every day because of hand lotion. I never put it on with my rings on but during the day it seems to be drawn like a magnet to rings. By lunchtime, I am washing my hands with Dawn anyway - can't stand the grease on my rings nor the greasy feeling on my hands. Talk about OCD. . .

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
YT told me her routine so I switched from using Dawn to Mr clean --- omg! These babies are on fire now --- its incredible the difference (to my eyes) how much nicer they look using the MR clean.

I soak x 20 mins or so in mr clean (not diluted), then use a cytobrush from work (tiny and lots of nice soft bristles) and get into as many easily accessible nooks and crannies as i can and twirl the brush to loosen any grime (which is not likely, based on how often I 'm going this now!) then I rinse using the Jewel Jet basket that sits about the over spray cup. Then - top off w a steam in the Jewel Jet. Sometimes I just do a quickie 'polish' with a soft, old, dry baby toothbrush.

I am a very responsible diamond owner --- I clean up after my rings! :lol: ;))

oh---soxfan --- your routine sounds pretty risky! I was laughing at that and the follow up convo it inspired!! Please stay safe from now on!!
:bigsmile:

momma2boys

Shiny_Rock
First of all, this has been a very entertaining conversation so far!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone know if Dawn or any other dish-washing detergent leaves a film on the diamonds? I was told by a jeweler that it can. I still do it anyway though! Mr. Clean sounds like a great idea to try!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meganmomma|1376358499|3501802 said:
First of all, this has been a very entertaining conversation so far!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Does anyone know if Dawn or any other dish-washing detergent leaves a film on the diamonds? I was told by a jeweler that it can. I still do it anyway though! Mr. Clean sounds like a great idea to try!

I have a secret... I use foaming facewash instead of detergent. I hate detergent - I feel like I can never get that slick detergenty filmy afterfeel off... and the bubbles are what really does the cleaning anyway, right? And foaming facewash bubbles so awfully well...

ETA: One of my rings has both highly-polished and slightly brushed-finished elements and I avoid brushing it because I don't want to wear the textures away. I went to a local jeweller to try on bands and he inspected it and said that it had a fantastic polish, but that if his benchman was in he'd give it to him to get it pristine! Me: "oh thank god it's Saturday" :errrr: :errrr: :errrr:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meganmomma|1376358499|3501802 said:

Meganmomma, I noticed this when I used Dawn...others in this thread seem to like it, but I thought my diamond looked a little dull over time. I prefer Windex, and Windex with vinegar works well too. I also like Weimans jewelry cleaner.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I use the diamond dazzle stick that I found at walmart. It has a long soft brush and it works great. It's inexpensive and travels great as it's small like a mascara wand.

Edited to add: sorry for the upside down photo. Lol, but you get the idea. It's located near the watches in walmart. Only thing I buy at walmart practically. Haha

_8757.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:lol: Soxfan, not trying to make you feel bad, but I'll have to say this is the first time I have heard of that! Glad you saw this thread! And spread the word to your friends!!!!

I keep this in my bathroom and soak my ring while I get ready in the morning. After I am dressed and make-up done, etc., I take the ring out of the solution (there is a basket), lightly brush the diamond, and rinse with hot tap water. This keeps my rings really clean!

http://www.amazon.com/Connoisseurs-Jewelry-Cleaner-Revitalizing-oz/dp/B000QA2IHC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1376361034&sr=8-2&keywords=connoisseurs+jewelry+cleaner

I do use windex when I am somewhere else and don't have the jewelry cleaner with me. But my rings are platinum and I would not use anything with ammonia on white gold.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dishwashing liquid in the ultrasonic, brush a little before putting it in the ultrasonic. I've tried Mr. Clean before, but I prefer dishwashing liquid.

I hope soxfan's friends homes are insured too... :shock: :shock:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
I've used all the techniques mentioned above....well, except for the microwave! :lol: :lol: sorry soxfan! ;)) My favorites though are soaking in very hot tap water with a mixture of either Dawn or Mr Clean without ammonia. All of my jewelry is WG and I've heard that ammonia is horrible for eating away the rhodium plating.

I have a sparkle stick too and it's great for travel and to stick in your purse for on the go cleanings!

Ringsandthings

Rough_Rock
Which mr clean is everyone using looks like there a bunch of different mr clean products

delight

Shiny_Rock

Wow! That sounds like an extreme and cray way to clean jewelry.

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
You can wipe the stone using 70% isopropyl alcohol and a diamond cloth. It will remove any grease, debris or fingerprints left on the surface.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondenvy1|1376405732|3502104 said:
You can wipe the stone using 70% isopropyl alcohol and a diamond cloth. It will remove any grease, debris or fingerprints left on the surface.

You beat me to it! I was just going to suggest rubbing alcohol - it works really well!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1376406924|3502114 said:

You beat me to it! I was just going to suggest rubbing alcohol - it works really well!

I keep a few alcohol wipes in my desk at work and in my purse... just for those 'grimey' occasions when the ickiness gets too much for my mind to handle!! :D

diamondenvy1

Rough_Rock
Trade
junebug17|1376406924|3502114 said:

Great minds think alike. :))

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1376354341|3501754 said:
I clean mine every day because of hand lotion. I never put it on with my rings on but during the day it seems to be drawn like a magnet to rings. By lunchtime, I am washing my hands with Dawn anyway - can't stand the grease on my rings nor the greasy feeling on my hands. Talk about OCD. . .

I am too. I HATE hand lotion getting on the ring and I cringe when I watch anybody rub it on their hands with their rings on. I have to look away. :knockout:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results