shape
carat
color
clarity

Ok Radiant experts - judge away!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Here''s a stone sent to meby Whiteflash, what do you think?? He said that the picture was for shape and not for color or performance. I''m definitely not a worried about a lower color and usually would do a G-H, should I worry with an I color in a radiant?? The GOG I cushions I think they were, were gorgeous. Any thoughts?

Radiant 2.04 I VS1 VG VG GIA N 68.1% 68% 8.29x6.61x4.50 - $12,398

radiant 2.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/26/2009 7:01:57 PM
Author:lovindiamonds
Here''s a stone sent to meby Whiteflash, what do you think?? He said that the picture was for shape and not for color or performance. I''m definitely not a worried about a lower color and usually would do a G-H, should I worry with an I color in a radiant?? The GOG I cushions I think they were, were gorgeous. Any thoughts?

Radiant 2.04 I VS1 VG VG GIA N 68.1% 68% 8.29x6.61x4.50 - $12,398
I''m pretty sure Radiant''s show color more easily.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I thought that''s what I have read, but as I said....I''m VERY new to this!

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Does anyone know about color and radiants??

Eva17

Brilliant_Rock
yes, radiants show more warmth than other cuts. if you are color sensitive, then an I may show too much color for you with a radiant.

if you put an I cushion next to an I radiant, you should see more warmth in the radiant.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
really? you''d see more out of the radiant vs. the cushion??? that''s very interesting!! sorry for the questions, I''m a newbie, but why is that??

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/26/2009 9:15:20 PM
Author: lovindiamonds
really? you'd see more out of the radiant vs. the cushion??? that's very interesting!! sorry for the questions, I'm a newbie, but why is that??
Radiants can typically show more colour than other shapes, this is why you see so many fancy colours cut into radiants. Some make H colour the cutoff in these shapes but you can ask the vendor how the I colour looks in this diamond, it looks like a nice radiant - ask if you can get more photos and an ASET image.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei, I appreciate that. I''m wondering if I should go to a lower clarity and a better color???

There''s this diamond as well

1.72 ct F SI1 Radiant
Item Code: 19465838
. Report: GIA
. Shape: Radiant
. Carat: 1.72
. Depth %: 68.8
. Table %: 60
. Girdle: TK-VTK
. Measurements: 7.36-6.18X4.25
. Polish: Very Good
. Symmetry: Good
. Culet: None
. Fluorescence: None

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I forgot to add that as long as the SI1 is eye clean....I might be better off with the F color?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 10:30:32 AM
I forgot to add that as long as the SI1 is eye clean....I might be better off with the F color?
If the diamond is eyeclean then you can certainly consider it, see if you can get images for this one also.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 10:30:32 AM
If it''s well cut, I would think so.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Thanks so much for everyone''s help, I''m so excited that I think I''m getting close to finding the perfect diamond for me!!
36.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 11:26:04 AM
Thanks so much for everyone''s help, I''m so excited that I think I''m getting close to finding the perfect diamond for me!!
36.gif
We are very glad to help!

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I''m so worried because I was reading some old posts and someone said that radiants look like "cut glass" and that they didn''t compare to RB or even princess cuts for that matter?? I thought a radiant was essentially an emerald with a princess cut to it instead of the step cuts.

I don''t want my diamond to look like cut glass
40.gif
I suppose that color and cut will be the best factor to that right? I like the rectangle/square shape, but like the sparkle instead of the step cuts. Should I be worried about a raniant?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 12:10:38 PM
I''m so worried because I was reading some old posts and someone said that radiants look like ''cut glass'' and that they didn''t compare to RB or even princess cuts for that matter?? I thought a radiant was essentially an emerald with a princess cut to it instead of the step cuts.

I don''t want my diamond to look like cut glass
40.gif
I suppose that color and cut will be the best factor to that right? I like the rectangle/square shape, but like the sparkle instead of the step cuts. Should I be worried about a raniant?
Some radiants can show a '' crushed ice'' look due to the faceting, this is a matter of preference and another reason why images are so important to make sure a particular radiant is to your taste. Some prefer the '' chunkier'' faceted look, others the crushed ice but check with your vendor concerning how the radiant looks - and get images of course.

asforhim

Rough_Rock
I''m no expert, but in my experience radiant cuts are the most variable diamond shape. Fancies in general don''t have as consitent characteristics as rounds, but radiants seem to be the most unique in that way. I have found some to have a shattered glass appearance, some to have a flowing water-like appearance, some with a thick faceted cushion or old-miners appearance... lots of variation.

I did buy a radiant and love it. It has more characteristics of a cushion modified when it comes to fire and chunky facets along with a brilliance closer to round.

Link: (sorry its blurry) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyzRRuY4oFI

The best advice it to look a several radiants in person and compare them to cushions and emeralds (if you like those general shapes).

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 12:10:38 PM
I'm so worried because I was reading some old posts and someone said that radiants look like 'cut glass' and that they didn't compare to RB or even princess cuts for that matter?? I thought a radiant was essentially an emerald with a princess cut to it instead of the step cuts.

I don't want my diamond to look like cut glass
40.gif
lovin, knowing now more what exactly you're after, you might want to consider these stones as well.

Some examples.

x-factor by WF. Basically a Princess with clipped corners.

http://www.whiteflash.com/xfactor/X-Factor-cut-diamond-373349.htm#

Princess of Hearts, by GOG

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/44312/advschrst/1

Or the Square H&A, which in my opinion is the best of both worlds by far. Square shape, but the sparkle of a round.
30.gif

http://shop.goodoldgold.com/index.cfm/a/catalog.prodshow/vid/44318/advschrst/1

Just thought I'd throw these out, not sure if you knew about them.
28.gif

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock

Wow, well the x factor looks really great - but I don''t really understand the difference between the x factor and the radiant? Just when I think I''ve got it all figured out, now something else comes along.

I''m going to wait on all of the pictures that I get with the raidant that he choose for me and hopefully you guys can help.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn''t totally discard a "crushed ice" look radiant. I used to dislike that look immensely but I think that was because I had never seen a well cut one before. When my hubby and I saw my ER stone it was amazing. It''s just like looking into a kaleidoscope and like you can see forever into the depths. We can stare into it for hours, LOL. I think you really need to see them in person.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 1:17:28 PM

Wow, well the x factor looks really great - but I don't really understand the difference between the x factor and the radiant? Just when I think I've got it all figured out, now something else comes along.

I'm going to wait on all of the pictures that I get with the raidant that he choose for me and hopefully you guys can help.

The x-factor will consistently be like a Princess with clipped corners, as far as cut/faceting goes. With a Radiant, there's much more variance as to what the cut/faceting is.

I agree with Catmom, you really should try and get out to see some stones if you can.

GOG has a page full of videos to help get an idea on their proprietary cuts. (scroll down a little over halfway)

http://goodoldgold.com/Diamond_Videos/

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto the ladies'' advice!

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
I just noticed that today as well!! Unfortunately I talked to Sarah from GOG and they have nothing for me at this time.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Michelle, thanks for your vote of confidence. I was beginning to think that my love for the radiant was a bad idea.
33.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 2:00:07 PM
Author: mryan
sorry to threadjack..was looking at Ellens post and noticed..

didnt know there was this GOG site:
http://shop.goodoldgold.com/

thought it was just http://www.goodoldgold.com/
Hi mryan,

The discrepancy is because GOG is in the process of switching to a new site (the first link), but the videos have not been transfered yet from the old site (second link).
28.gif

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hello All,

Here is the deal on color and radiants.

If you have a GIA certified round diamond that is a J color and have it recut to a radiant cut and resubmit it to GIA it will probably come back with a much lower color grade. This is bacause the radiant captures color better than most other cuts.

But... If you have a GIA certified radiant cut diamond that is a J color it will not appear to be more yellow than a J.

The inverse is also true. If you recut a radiant to another shape it should improve the color.

You may ask why anyone would want to recut a diamond with a lower color. I know a diamond dealer that specializes in buying J-M color diamonds for a very low price and recutting them to radiants and ends up with Fancy Yellow or Intense Yellow diamonds that bring in higher prices.

Diamonds are cut so they can get the most carat weight, color and clarity out of the diamond that will bring the most dollars. If they can get a higher carat weight out of the rough even with a lower color grade and it brings more dollars they will do it.

lovindiamonds

Shiny_Rock
Dimonbob thanks SO much for that!! So a radiant that has a great cut, is eye clean and is F color should be beautiful, right???? I mean, I think F color is pretty safe overall with almost any cut I would think!

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/27/2009 3:40:16 PM
Dimonbob thanks SO much for that!! So a radiant that has a great cut, is eye clean and is F color should be beautiful, right???? I mean, I think F color is pretty safe overall with almost any cut I would think!

Yes and no; there''s still the wide variance in facet patterning that radiants have compared to other cuts. You could have a well cut, eye-clean, F color radiant with the crushed-ice look, or you could have a well cut, eye-clean, F color radiant with a chunky faceted look. It all depends on what your preference is. If you like the chunky look, for example, you might not think a crushed-ice radiant is beautiful.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/27/2009 4:47:16 PM
Author: jstarfireb

Date: 2/27/2009 3:40:16 PM

Yes and no; there''s still the wide variance in facet patterning that radiants have compared to other cuts. You could have a well cut, eye-clean, F color radiant with the crushed-ice look, or you could have a well cut, eye-clean, F color radiant with a chunky faceted look. It all depends on what your preference is. If you like the chunky look, for example, you might not think a crushed-ice radiant is beautiful.
Absolutely and that is why images are crucial.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results