shape
carat
color
clarity

Oily or Hazy?

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Hi all! So the other week I was choosing between an I from JA or a G color from IDJ with medium fluorescence. I chose the G from IDJ but now looking at the video they posted on their IG account it appears that the diamond looks a little oily? I talked with Tammy on the phone while she was looking at the diamond and she said that it is cut so well and sparkles so well that it negates most of the negative. Here is the IG link https://www.instagram.com/p/BIq4W3lgkDR/?taken-by=idjewelry Here is the youtube link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLY5BVgmdjU Its driving me nuts and my husband is not helpful! Thank you!!

ChristineRose

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Medium fluorescence is unlikely to make a stone look hazy, especially not in a studio.

It may be oily, aka dirty. Some inclusions also make a stone look hazy.

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
ChristineRose|1470507815|4063087 said:
Medium fluorescence is unlikely to make a stone look hazy, especially not in a studio.

+1. This is not a by-product of fluorescence. You might ask the gemologist to put it under the microscope and check for dense clouds or pinpoint regions in darkfield; which might be interfering with light transmission. Clarity grading pertains to what's observed at 10X, so be sure to zoom-in beyond that. In rare cases microscopic haze present can make a diamond appear "sleepy" but does not get reported, even in grades above SI. The pro helping you may already have checked that out, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock

Thank you, yes it is a SI2 so that might be part of what I am seeing.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
John Pollard|1470508831|4063093 said:

+1. This is not a by-product of fluorescence. You might ask the gemologist to put it under the microscope and check for dense clouds or pinpoint regions in darkfield; which might be interfering with light transmission. Clarity grading pertains to what's observed at 10X, so be sure to zoom-in beyond that. In rare cases microscopic haze present can make a diamond appear "sleepy" but does not get reported, even in grades above SI. The pro helping you may already have checked that out, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Interesting, I will ask. Overall I think it really sparkles but in some shots it seems to look a little cloudy. But I am by no means an expert... I will attach the GIA cert just so you can see what has been observed at the 10X magnification.

Attachments

• _134.pdf
    702 KB · Views: 100

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jennifee|1470509959|4063098 said:
Interesting, I will ask. Overall I think it really sparkles but in some shots it seems to look a little cloudy. But I am by no means an expert... I will attach the GIA cert just so you can see what has been observed at the 10X magnification.
That helps. This could be relevant: << Comments: Additional twinning wisps, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown. >> In clarity terms, "not shown" is a non-factor at 10X. With that said it's prudent to ask, per above, if the frequency, position and density of the 3 characteristics listed have any impact on transparency.

Pending results you may request the diamond be thoroughly cleaned, and video'd again. Ultimately your eyes will reveal all, but the pros working with you will want to help you as best they can from a distance.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The video looks nice to me on my iPad. I'm not the one that has to live with the diamomd and be happy with it, though, lol. Are you within the U.S.? Canada? If you're not sure, ask IDJ to send the diamond to you to look at in person prior to setting.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not seeing any oily look either on my computer.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
John Pollard|1470511464|4063105 said:
Jennifee|1470509959|4063098 said:
That helps. This could be relevant: << Comments: Additional twinning wisps, pinpoints and surface graining are not shown. >> In clarity terms, "not shown" is a non-factor at 10X. With that said it's prudent to ask, per above, if the frequency, position and density of the 3 characteristics listed have any impact on transparency.

Pending results you may request the diamond be thoroughly cleaned, and video'd again. Ultimately your eyes will reveal all, but the pros working with you will want to help you as best they can from a distance.

Thank you so much! That is very helpful. I will ask them tomorrow when they open.

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
PintoBean|1470524159|4063138 said:
The video looks nice to me on my iPad. I'm not the one that has to live with the diamomd and be happy with it, though, lol. Are you within the U.S.? Canada? If you're not sure, ask IDJ to send the diamond to you to look at in person prior to setting.

It looks fantastic on my phone but on my computer with the full screen playing, thats when I notice it. Who knows though... maybe its a finger print? lol! I'm in CA right now but home base is Houston.... If I didn't have two littles I would have done all this in person in NY! But I will certainly think about having them send the diamond before they set it, however sending a diamond through the mail already makes me nervous!!! Maybe once I get back to Houston I'll go rouge and leave the littles with the hubs and just go see it in person! HaHa! :dance:

Q

Queenie60

Looks clear and beautiful to me. I'm certainly not an expert, but I can see the beauty!!!

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
tyty333|1470525226|4063144 said:
I'm not seeing any oily look either on my computer.

So it looks great on my phone but when I put it on full screen thats when I notice it... maybe its just me! Or a fingerprint! But I'm going to do as suggested above and ask about the other things mentioned but not shown in regard to the the clarity.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I put it on full screen on my iPad there's a noticeable degradation in resolution. That might be the haziness you are seeing. I hope that gives you a smidge of relief :wavey: .

fair75

Rough_Rock
With SI2 clarity grading, I would exercise caution even if it may or may not have an impact on transparency. I can tell you that from my experiences, even at SI1, clouds and/or twinning wisps will sometimes make a diamond partially cloudy if they are the grade setting inclusions. SI2 diamonds with twinning wisps as the main clarity setting inclusion plus the additional twinning wisps and pinpoints not shown require close examination. Unless diamonds are completely hazy/cloudy, it is usually difficult for most people to detect under normal lighting conditions. I would suggest asking the vendor to look at the diamond under the sun and under the flashlight from an iPhone. It may sound unorthodox, but I have noticed that diamonds with cloudy/hazy issues would most likely be more apparent under these two conditions. Professional gemologists should be able to see partial cloudiness/haziness in diamonds if there is any. I would think that the vendor probably has better light sources to perform the examination though. If a diamond has no transparency issues, it will be crystal clear or close to it. However, if there is cloudiness/haziness, I usually see "white" spots in a diamond, a.k.a. not clear. I have an SI1 diamond with only cloud as the grade setting inclusion, and it has some white spots under the sun and under the direct flashlight from my iPhone. I also put it next to my VVS2 diamond and the difference is more noticeable. The VVS2 stone is absolutely crystal clear. But under most conditions, the light performance from both diamonds are about the same.

That's just my experience and yours may be different. But it doesn't hurt to ask the vendor to look at the diamonds under the sun and under the iPhone flashlight (or something similiar).

John P

Ideal_Rock
Trade
fair75|1470539073|4063187 said:
But it doesn't hurt to ask the vendor to look at the diamonds
+1. Video is rather unreliable. Surface water spots can influence things. Skin or other oil trapped in surface graining. There are many possibilities and we all have armchair opinions.

That said: The clarity indicators call for extra attention, so either way you'll get your answers.

If you're interested - I recalled similar conversation happening here a while ago.
https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nd-cloudy.221797/page-2#post-4013487#p4013487

Jennifee

Shiny_Rock
Per: IDJ- The biggest inclusion is on the side which is probably where I am seeing a little hazy effect. They also said if it wasn't for the large inclusion on the side the diamond would be rated a VS2. They had two people look at it and came up with the same conclusion independently. So my guess is that with me using the full screen w/poorer resolution was the culprit. Case closed- I think! Haha! Thank you everyone for being so helpful!! Now if only I could decide on a setting... I like RG and the hubs like plat... Oh boy.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No problem - platinum head RG shank. That's taking into consideration your DH's preference! :dance:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results