shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh yes, Another need advice thread! :)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Hello to all! Longtime lurker here who now needs advice deciding between 2 options:
Option 1: I received this stone from my mother as a candidate for an e-ring for my gf:
It’s not the best of stones and was appraised, not GIA/AGS graded:

1.24ct I VVS1
7.00x4.17mm
Depth: 59.4%
Table: 60.1%
Pav Depth: 43.3%
All the info I got from the appraiser.

Option 2: After lurking on this awesome site, I’ve been itching to get an HoA stone from one of the reputable internet dealer that I’ve seen from this site. I’m in a sticky situation on whether or not to shell out an extra $2k for a nicer HoA stone.
Also, what’s the general consensus on the C ordering? From my inexperience I have my first priority being Cut, Carat, Color and then Clarity (eyeclean). Now would SI-1 be eye clean from a dealer like GOG or WF? And should I dip into the I color range for a larger stone, I notice a huge price jump from G-H-I, how noticeable is an H-I comparison?

These are what I’m looking at that are all around the same price (which is $2k more than I had intended to go with):
a)1.16ct I VVS2 (2nd $$)
•Cut GIA Ex
•AGS Light Perform: Ideal
•Polish Ex
•Symmetry Ex
•6.79mm(W) x 6.85mm(L) x 4.13mm(D)
•Pav: 40.9
•Crown: 34.36

b)1.25ct I VS2 (Least $)
•Cut AGS Ideal
•Polish Ideal
•Symmetry Ideal
•6.88mm(W) x 6.90mm(L) x 4.27mm(D)
•Pav: 40.92
•Crown: 34.98

c)1.24ct H SI2 (Most $$$)
•Cut AGS Ideal
•Polish Ideal
•Symmetry Ideal
•NA(W) x NA(L) x NA D)
•Pav: 40.70
•Crown: 34.70

All advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!
32.gif

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Also, these are Round Brilliant cuts by the way.
And my selection was made with slight adjustments to each "C" to get it around the same price.

raz91

Rough_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 1:46:50 PM
Author:RockNewb2Pro
Hello to all! Longtime lurker here who now needs advice deciding between 2 options:

Option 1: I received this stone from my mother as a candidate for an e-ring for my gf:

It’s not the best of stones and was appraised, not GIA/AGS graded:

1.24ct I VVS1

7.00x4.17mm

Depth: 59.4%

Table: 60.1%

Pav Depth: 43.3%

All the info I got from the appraiser.

Option 2: After lurking on this awesome site, I’ve been itching to get an HoA stone from one of the reputable internet dealer that I’ve seen from this site. I’m in a sticky situation on whether or not to shell out an extra $2k for a nicer HoA stone.

Also, what’s the general consensus on the C ordering? From my inexperience I have my first priority being Cut, Carat, Color and then Clarity (eyeclean). Now would SI-1 be eye clean from a dealer like GOG or WF? And should I dip into the I color range for a larger stone, I notice a huge price jump from G-H-I, how noticeable is an H-I comparison?

These are what I’m looking at that are all around the same price (which is $2k more than I had intended to go with):

a)1.16ct I VVS2 (2nd $$)

•Cut GIA Ex

•Polish Ex

•Symmetry Ex

•Pav: 40.9

•Crown: 34.36

b)1.25ct I VS2 (Least $)

•Cut AGS Ideal

•Polish Ideal

•Symmetry Ideal

•Pav: 40.92

•Crown: 34.98

c)1.24ct H SI2 (Most $$$)

•Cut AGS Ideal

•Polish Ideal

•Symmetry Ideal

•NA(W) x NA(L) x NA D)

All advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

32.gif

The original diamond is fairly wide. Without more info on crown / pavilion angles it''s hard to say whether or not it''s a good candidate.

Regarding your order of 4 C''s, I think that''s reasonable.

Color and clarity are a matter of preference (and your eyesight). I''d suggest you go to a quality jewelry store and look at different colored stones and clarities side-by-side to see if you can tell the difference and what you''d prefer.

Re: SI1 from a GOG or WF, you should ask them if it''s eye clean and you can also get a picture of the stone to see for yourself.

As for the 3 diamonds listed, I would probably agree that the pricing seems reasonable (i.e., the nicest diamond is the most expensive) ;-). This is based on the numbers, anyway ...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Rocknewb!

An SI clarity from one of the trusted vendors can be eyeclean if you tell them your expectations, they can evaluate the diamond in house.

With the diamonds you posted, can you post the depths and tables too please? Also looking at the proportions of the first for sale diamond, is it AGS or GIA graded? The numbers look like AGS configurations. If that is the case then it won't be AGS0 graded due to the polish and symmetry grades.

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick replies!
Correct, the third choice is an H SI-1 not 2.
a)1.16ct I VVS2 (2nd $$) (GIA Graded)
•Cut GIA Ex
•Polish Ex
•Symmetry Ex
•Table: 57.40%
•Depth: 60.63%
•Pav: 40.9deg / 43.20%
•Crown: 34.36deg / 14.60%

b)1.25ct I VS2 (Least $)
•Cut AGS Ideal
•Polish Ideal
•Symmetry Ideal
•Table: 57.65%
•Depth: 61.94%
•Pav: 40.92deg / NA%
•Crown: 34.98 / NA%

c)1.24ct H SI1 (Most $$$)
•Cut AGS Ideal
•Polish Ideal
•Symmetry Ideal
•Table: 57.00%
•Depth: 60.60%
•NA(W) x NA(L) x NA D)

All with no/negligible fluorescence

Thanks!

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
I''m starting to lean towards the third stone depending if it''s eye-clean, but I really like the look of the thinner arrows of the first stone. Is there a quality factor in the thickness of the arrows? Thicker arrows = better?

I''ve also looked at an H - I comparison and I personally can''t see a difference, but that doesn''t mean my gf can''t. Would I be able to choose a platinum setting for an I colored stone?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 3:31:02 PM
Author: RockNewb2Pro
I''m starting to lean towards the third stone depending if it''s eye-clean, but I really like the look of the thinner arrows of the first stone. Is there a quality factor in the thickness of the arrows? Thicker arrows = better?

I''ve also looked at an H - I comparison and I personally can''t see a difference, but that doesn''t mean my gf can''t. Would I be able to choose a platinum setting for an I colored stone?
This page explains about the effect of the lower girdle facets, this is related to '' arrow thickness.''

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds_info/t/articles.aspx?articleid=154&zoneid=14

Yes you can certainly set a reliably graded I colour diamond in platinum with excellent results, it will still look very white.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
An I colored stone will look fine set in platinum. Depending on what the price difference actually is, I''d be tempted to get the I/VS2. I''d definitely skip the VVS stone as it''s expensive and it''s really not worth overpaying for clarity.

Do you have any images or ideal scope images of the stones? This might help for making a final selection.

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Thanks Lorelei for that link to the lower half facet explanation! Sounds like I''d prefer a stone that performs better in indirect/low light environments as it seems to be more encountered.

Here are some images of the stones:
a)
Stone
imgnotfound.jpg

Asset
imgnotfound.jpg

b)
Stone
imgnotfound.jpg

Aset
imgnotfound.jpg

Light Performance
imgnotfound.jpg

c) None available.

Would any other images be helpful?
Thanks!

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Also, what is the current day''s criteria for the amount to spend on an e-ring? Is it 2/3/4 months of Gross salary?? I find that a little scary...
41.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 6:15:59 PM
Also, what is the current day''s criteria for the amount to spend on an e-ring? Is it 2/3/4 months of Gross salary?? I find that a little scary...
41.gif
No rules, just spend what you can comfortably afford!

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/21/2009 5:08:47 PM
Thanks Lorelei for that link to the lower half facet explanation! Sounds like I''d prefer a stone that performs better in indirect/low light environments as it seems to be more encountered.

I would prefer the #2 stone unless new information from #3 stone comes out. #1 seems to have a large LGF, so probably performs less well in low light environment.
No general rules on $$ spend, just what you can comfortably afford.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/21/2009 5:08:47 PM

Here are some images of the stones:
a)
Stone
imgnotfound.jpg

Asset
imgnotfound.jpg

b)
Stone
imgnotfound.jpg

Aset
imgnotfound.jpg

Light Performance
imgnotfound.jpg

c) None available.

Would any other images be helpful?
Thanks!
These are both great diamonds, what I would do is contact Jon from GOG, tell him your preferences and he can tell you which one would be the best performer for you. If he has time he might even be able to make a comparison video for you.

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
I''ve been in contact with GOG via emails and the third stone is not in-house for a visual inspection, so I dropped that one from my list. So my last decision is based on color vs clarity.
Stone B)1.25ct I VS2 RB
AGS Cut Grade: Ideal
AGS Light Performance: Ideal
Optical Symmetry: Superior
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Fluorescence: None
Culet: None
Lab Report: AGS
Lab Report #: 8452810
In House: Yes
Width: 6.88mm
Length: 6.90mm
Depth: 4.27mm
Table Percentage: 57.65%
Depth Percentage:61.94%
Crown ∠: 34.98°
Pavilion ∠: 40.92°

Stone D) 1.23ct H SI-1 (awaiting response from GOG if its eye-clean)
http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4878/
I noticed the 10x mag image showing a fairly large inclusion that my be on the table. I''m not quite sure on how to look at these images.

Could someone tell me why the smaller one is $500 more than the other??
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1466975.htm#
https://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/Whiteflash-ACA-cut-diamond-1445142.htm

RockNewb2Pro

Rough_Rock
Well, I received a response from Whiteflash that the less $ stone has a cloud in it, and the more $ stone is much cleaner in comparison.

So Color (H/I) or Clarity (VS-SI-1)??? Which one is more important?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results