shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh those Millennials ;)

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, I know a lot of us have shared our bad experiences re Millennials and all but yanno I was just thinking about their good qualities and thought let me share it here and see if you guys have similar experiences to share. OK to start these are the good qualities I like about those Millenials. :appl:

First of all the definition for those who aren't sure. Millennials (also known as Generation Y) are people born between 1980s and early 2000s.

1. They are open and tolerant and accepting. It's cool if you aren't like them. They don't judge. You can be who you are.

2. They are non materialistic and value relationships over things.

3. They are community minded and want to make things better locally. They volunteer to make life better for others here and all over the world.

4. They are doers and while not into conventional 9-5 jobs they are not sitting back either and they network their way to finding what works for them. They are more likely to be independent thinkers and make it work. They are pursuing their dreams.

5. They are more connected to technology sharing info all over the world and not just getting news from conventional resources opening communication for everyone.

Millennials are dedicated to making the world a better place and are aware of the big issues. They are more likely to be entrepreneurs and start their own business and build their own brands. They are not complacent and strive for positive change in the world and not afraid to take action, speak out and make things fairer and better for everyone. They are the most independent thinkers and think outside the box. They are the most educated generation in American history and finally they are more accepting of others than any other generation prior.

Ultimately it is behavior and thinking that determines what “generation” you are. It’s not the years, it’s the mileage that counts.

Anyone have anything positive to add about the Millennials? :))

lastcalvinandhobbes.jpg

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the quiz. I got 59. :halo:

What did you get?

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got 42.

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I got 99...which is funny because despite the fact that I am a millenial most of my friends think I should have been born during the baby boomers. My 60 year old father is more technologically literate and has had more smart phones than I have.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We're not so bad once you get to know us ;-)

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got 97. :-o

CJ2008

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got an 82.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
74 here :lol:

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a 32. I'm totally lame and boring but I'm okay with that.

I think a great movie that shows good things from multiple generations is The Intern.

As a boss and former college teacher I've had great and bad employees / students from all generations.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pretty sure according to that quiz my gramma qualifies as a millennial.

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My score was 85 but I'm not a millennial.

Now get off my lawn! Haha, I'm not that old, though.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooo, YOU get off MY lawn, bwahaha!!!! :lol:

Marcy, that quiz picked up on your geographic location :razz: Bob took it and he scored a 76, so apparently he's been gone long enough!!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
77 :o But I still think they're generally a bunch of snowflakes.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One pro of being a millennial is being closer to peak breeding age. :naughty:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
This post really got me thinking.

Here's what I like. They think differently than my generation does. It can be bad. But it also has been incredibly good. It seems to me that millennials are more focused on quality of life than my generation was encouraged to. I feel we were encouraged to keep up with the Jones' in terms of cars, apartments, etc. To "do better" than our parents. Especially those of us with immigrant backgrounds. But do better was never equated with quality of life things that place our happiness above maximizing our portfolios. Millennials seem to have that focus and I really admire it. And I am learning from it.

For example: the tiny house movement. I've been fascinated by this. People, mostly millennials, who are well educated and well spoken, opting for the quality of life a small, often mobile, space offers them-- having their money going to activities and travel and other things that are more meaningful to them-- rather than being married to a mortgage.

I love this. I am very devoted to my cats. And I want more cats than I have currently, eventually, if I can swing it financially. And that means they need space. But I adore the thought process.

I also have noticed a movement to making homes less for "show" and more for living. Family friendly home decorating that is less focused on how impressive the space is to guests, so that it looks like museum, and more on functionality and casual everyday elegance that is practical for real life.

I was never taught to value quality of life in that way. And I find it VERY liberating to think that way.

It crosses over to careers too. Millennials are finding ways to get out of the traditional cube farms that so many office drones (like me) have been conditioned to accept as necessary. And managing to make it WORK. Finding a way to have both happiness AND financial success. They are much more innovative that we are. Building on the foundations built by us, but taking what is built on that foundation in a direction with a vision that we didn't have.

I really like all of that about millennials. Thank you for this thread Missy. It has really helped me. It's easy to focus on the negatives of the younger generation, so much so that we lose focus of the positives.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now let's talk about their negatives... :bigsmile:

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I got 85 :o

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Lol I'm an '87 baby and I got 95! Extreme millennial it is!

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I got a 97...and I AM 97!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am pleased that so many people (especially us older folks lol) are getting "high" scores. That means the Millennial generation is rubbing of on us at least a bit and that is a good thing! :appl:

Gypsy, you are very welcome and I agree with everything you wrote.
Gypsy said:
This post really got me thinking.

Here's what I like. They think differently than my generation does. It can be bad. But it also has been incredibly good. It seems to me that millennials are more focused on quality of life than my generation was encouraged to. I feel we were encouraged to keep up with the Jones' in terms of cars, apartments, etc. To "do better" than our parents. Especially those of us with immigrant backgrounds. But do better was never equated with quality of life things that place our happiness above maximizing our portfolios. Millennials seem to have that focus and I really admire it. And I am learning from it.

For example: the tiny house movement. I've been fascinated by this. People, mostly millennials, who are well educated and well spoken, opting for the quality of life a small, often mobile, space offers them-- having their money going to activities and travel and other things that are more meaningful to them-- rather than being married to a mortgage.

I love this. I am very devoted to my cats. And I want more cats than I have currently, eventually, if I can swing it financially. And that means they need space. But I adore the thought process.

I also have noticed a movement to making homes less for "show" and more for living. Family friendly home decorating that is less focused on how impressive the space is to guests, so that it looks like museum, and more on functionality and casual everyday elegance that is practical for real life.

I was never taught to value quality of life in that way. And I find it VERY liberating to think that way.

It crosses over to careers too. Millennials are finding ways to get out of the traditional cube farms that so many office drones (like me) have been conditioned to accept as necessary. And managing to make it WORK. Finding a way to have both happiness AND financial success. They are much more innovative that we are. Building on the foundations built by us, but taking what is built on that foundation in a direction with a vision that we didn't have.

I really like all of that about millennials. Thank you for this thread Missy. It has really helped me. It's easy to focus on the negatives of the younger generation, so much so that we lose focus of the positives.

mary poppins|1460830764|4020073 said:
My score was 85 but I'm not a millennial.

Now get off my lawn! Haha, I'm not that old, though.

azstonie said:
Noooo, YOU get off MY lawn, bwahaha!!!! :lol:

Marcy, that quiz picked up on your geographic location :razz: Bob took it and he scored a 76, so apparently he's been gone long enough!!

Umm,Mary Poppins and Kristie, (and I mean this in the nicest and most loving way) both of you please get the heck off MY lawn! :lol: :lol: :lol:

marcy said:
I got a 32. I'm totally lame and boring but I'm okay with that.

I think a great movie that shows good things from multiple generations is The Intern.

As a boss and former college teacher I've had great and bad employees / students from all generations.

azstonie said:

Marcy and Kristie, I am right in the middle of the both of you re scoring. I feel that is significant somehow. No clue how but still. :lol:
Marcy thanks for the rec re the movie. Will check it out.

packrat said:
Pretty sure according to that quiz my gramma qualifies as a millennial.
Packrat, hahaha. LOVE that and I think I would love your grandma too!

Niel said:
We're not so bad once you get to know us ;-)
Niel, no doubt and that is why I started the thread. Some of you are pretty cool and nice. In fact I have quite a few close friends who are Millennials and I admit they are the coolest people I know. With the exception of my dh and some of my PS friends that is. :bigsmile:

Jambalaya, thanks for participating and taking the quiz Sphene linked us to. That's a pretty close score to my good friend Marcy and just goes to show the score does not the whole person make. Viva la difference! It seems most of the PSers who participated (so far at least) are Milliennials at heart if not in age and it is good to see some variety with some differences in scores!

Matata said:
77 :o But I still think they're generally a bunch of snowflakes.
Matata, haha yes I agree with that too. :lol:

kenny said:
One pro of being a millennial is being closer to peak breeding age. :naughty:
Kenny, I think of that as a con actually. 8-)

CJ, Monnie, Jordy, CareBear, Siameseroo,, wow you guys got such near perfect scores. :halo: Course you guys are still younger than me and some of us who got lower scores and we (the old folks) are doing the best we can. :appl:

Jimmianne, your score does not surprise me at all. You are a cool NIRDI girl!

Dancing Fire said:
Now let's talk about their negatives... :bigsmile:
DF, no thanks. This is a positive thread. :halo:
Now fess up, what was your score? Was it in the negative range? Makes sense with you talking about negatives and all...
:devil: 8-)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Missy I got a reasonably high score but I don't feel like I should have. One of the questions asked if I have played video games recently and I only answered yes as a technicality as I had a guitar hero session with my wife. Other than that I don't actually play video games, I still don't even know how to download an app to my phone, I always need help :lol:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
jordyonbass|1460893865|4020372 said:
Missy I got a reasonably high score but I don't feel like I should have. One of the questions asked if I have played video games recently and I only answered yes as a technicality as I had a guitar hero session with my wife. Other than that I don't actually play video games, I still don't even know how to download an app to my phone, I always need help :lol:

I hear you Jordy. LOL I think that's why my score was not higher because I never play any video games and don't even know how to play (or want to) play games on my phone or other devices. The only games I like are those old fashioned games. You know, card games, board games etc. 8) My nieces (8 and 10) were surprised that I had no games on my phone and they promptly added them so they could play them when they visit.

My dh got a 48 and I think it's because he rarely texts and also plays no video games etc. And neither of us have tattoos so lost points there. So yes I agree the scores can be deceiving and this test is grossly inaccurate. But fun nonetheless. Thanks for playing. :appl:

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
68. But not reflective of me. I'm way too much of an old fart. I do agree that millenials are way more positive and have a wiser outlook on the big picture of life. It does bug the $hit out of me that they can't say "you're welcome" and just grunt an "uh-huh". While they are actually working, I have found many not respecting the position and the quality of work they should provide. Blah blah blah... I'll stop complaining. Interesting thread missy. And fun to see what others think.

The interracial marriage question surprised me. I mean we gen x people are the most direct recipients of the civil rights movement from a timeline standpoint. Why would we not realize how big an impact that has on our society?

CareBear

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was shocked at my score, I expected MUCH lower. Especially since DH and I just finished the latest season of Girls and I spent half the time complaining how milennials are TOTALLY selfish and out of control! But then again I'm not sure if these crazy characters accurately depict that age group. :lol:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The baby boomers spoke of the 'generation gap'. Truth is from that point forward there was always a generation gap between generations. Life changed so fast - particularly in the realm of technology. I must admit however that I do admire the spirit with which these younger people live their lives. As Gypsy pointed out, they are not worried with nor impressed by large houses and being competitive with family and friends over material possession. That in and of itself presents a freedom that is just wonderful. Do your own thing, live the life you want, spend and save your money according to your desires and not some prescribed formula from long ago. It makes me wonder what we would have done and where we would have been if we hadn't had a large home to pay for and maintain. However, it was right for us at the time and I don't regret it. It is my life story but probably won't be that of my children. When they speak of larger homes, they speak of upkeep, taxes and utilities - and not wanting to be tied into that for a lifetime. Enough space to live, all space utilized instead of rooms that aren't used, etc., etc. Two homes? Nah - who wants that? Rent something when you want to go somewhere else for a bit - don't own it. Makes perfect sense when you think about it. Both Moms and Dads today are very interactive with their children - mothering doesn't only come from the mothers anymore! What a novel concept! Babies aren't kept home napping in cribs - they are out enjoying life too. I admire their down to earth common sense approach to much in life. Negatives? Yes but there were negatives to my generation as well. People continue to grow and thrive in spite of all of it. Their lives won't mirror us oldies - they will by and large have to fund their own retirements and health care costs and I'm guessing by the time they grow old society will have had to change its outlook on how and where they will be cared for - cause this generation just won't have the money - ha!

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't even know what it means to be a millennial, in terms of characteristics. I've never played a video game and technology bores me rigid. My phone is a dumbphone held together with tape and all the lettering worn off the keys. Someone bought me a smartphone but it lies unused. I could get the news online but I love the feel of a newspaper, and I think print is less wearing on the eyes. I guess I'm old-fashioned in terms of that kind of thing, but I think it's a personality thing - even when young I've always loved history and the past, and old things like black Bakelite rotary phones and gramophones. I just find the modern world, in terms of video games and Wee or whatever that fitness program is called, a bit soul-less, and it's not an age things for me - I've always been like that, never into the new big thing or latest craze. I do feel extremely sorry for traditionally disenfranchised groups like immigrants from certain countries, gay people, transgender people, etc. and although I like to look at the jewels and clothes of European royals, since they are there, I do think all that stuff - aristocracy etc - is completely out of place in today's world, to the extent that I'm amazed these systems have survived so long in the old world.

I also think that people in general are very controlling, always asking others when they are going to marry their partner or when they are going to reproduce, and basically asking very personal questions all-round. I wish people would butt out of others' business and realize it's OK to be single/childless/overweight/not traditionally "attractive." Not everyone has to spend hours honing themselves or trying to be as beautiful as possible (I see a lot of celebrities with ultra-high heels, incredibly heavy make-up, and super-thin bodies in the press, and it's a crazy standard for women to live up to, but they seem to get a lot of ooh-ing and ahhing from some quarters. Lots of adulation in the comments section and glazed adoration when you happen to mention some of them to someone.) It's OK not to have a conventional marriage/2.4 kids and it's OK for your looks not to be one of the most important things in life. So I guess I hold some "millennial" attitudes, too, if those are millennial attitudes. I'm really not sure.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks - I hold the Millennial view about large houses (except I didn't know it was Millennial!) While they look lovely, I know what an expense and hard work they are. When I see an amazing house - like driving past some of the mansions in Florida - I just see an absolute ton of work and worry, and think about the expense involved in heating, cooling, and maintaining the place. I like to keep things very simple, and even if I had hundreds of millions, I don't think I'd live in a large place. Convenience is everything!

In contrast, I have a friend who has multiple houses and does up each one to look like something from a magazine. While her rooms do indeed look lovely, I find it a bit showy and certainly not homely.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1460820845|4020011 said:
Thanks for the quiz. I got 59. :halo:

What did you get?
Same as you missy... :wacko:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results