shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh, the baby craze...

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
So a while back, I posted a song lyric on my fb status because it was stuck in my head. Apparently, Modest Mouse got misconstrued, and half my family was phone-stalking me and my mother because they were convinced I was pregnant. Add to that, my cousin just had her baby today, and while I''m ecstatic for her, I''m dreading my whole family demanding I hold the baby then lecturing me on how I need to get goin'' and crank out the jams already. The cousin''s baby shower is in a week (the baby came several weeks early)--would going to the shower wearing a t-shirt that says, "I''m afraid of babies until they can hold up their own heads" be inappropriate?
11.gif
No real point to this thread at all; I just needed to get that out of my system before I brave my mother dissecting dominant and recessive genes to determine the eye color of my future children!

mary poppins

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pressure, pressure. What song lyric did you post that caused this speculation?

MustangGal

Ideal_Rock
I used to have a fear of newborns too. So usually just avoided the whole "hold the baby" fiasco by not going near it, or when offered just say it looked to comfy in the arms of whatever poor soul was currently holding it.

The pressure sucks. And even once you pop out one baby, they start on you to do it all over again!

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 4:14:40 PM
Author:doodle
would going to the shower wearing a t-shirt that says, ''I''m afraid of babies until they can hold up their own heads'' be inappropriate?
11.gif

I love this idea, haha!

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
Mary Poppins, the song lyric was from "Missed The Boat" and says, "we were certainly uncertain, at least i''m pretty sure i am
well we didn''t need the water we just built that good...." (trailed off there due to profanity, although I originally included the full line on fb--just didn''t want to offend anyone here!). Monkey Pie, I knew you''d comment on this, haha--something tells me we have very similar twisted senses of humor!
9.gif
Don''t get me wrong; I LOVE kids, but I prefer being around them when they aren''t so breakable. One year or later, and I''m your girl for some babysitting, but hold up your own head already! You look drunk!
3.gif

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/2/2010 10:17:05 PM
Author: doodle
Monkey Pie, I knew you''d comment on this, haha--something tells me we have very similar twisted senses of humor!
9.gif
Don''t get me wrong; I LOVE kids, but I prefer being around them when they aren''t so breakable. One year or later, and I''m your girl for some babysitting, but hold up your own head already! You look drunk!
3.gif

Bwahaha - I feel the same way. I got lucky with Micah, he was never a floppy baby, he held his head up from the beginning. But my SIL feels the same way you do, she wants nothing to do with holding him until he''s 2, and he will be mobile and able to dig in the dirt with her, hah.

April20

Ideal_Rock
Doodle, I feel your pain. My grandfather is driving me nuts. We''re not planning to have any children. We''ve been very, very open and clear about this. It''s no secret. Yet, every time we go home and I''m playing with either of my two nieces- one is 2, the other is almost 2, my grandfather literally goes into this whining/begging/almost crying mode of "oh come on now, don''t you wan''t to have one, you''re so good with them". He takes it personally when I tell them I love the girls, but I don''t want one of my own. One of these days I might blow up over, though I''m trying really, really hard not to blow up at a my 70something year old grandfather..... Thankfully, I don''t get this from my parents. They know better.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
I am so glad my mom and MIL have backed off about kids!

Well, my mom originally didn''t want kids at all and my parents were 10 years into their marriage when they had me, so she gets it. I made a comment once about a friend''s kid: "Give me a call when the kid is walking, talking, and using the bathroom" and my aunt said it sounded exactly like something my mom would''ve said.

MIL also had her kids later, so she should understand, but I think she''s also anxious about it and would like us to at least have a plan. Maybe because we''re so ho-hum about having kids, she thinks we''re never going to have them. She also got on DH''s case once, really upset, because apparently I don''t want kids but he''s always wanted them? Pretty sure neither of those statements are true. Since that fiasco I try not to mention kids because anything I say will be turned around into how I don''t want kids and DH wants them so badly. Right now, we''re both on the fence and feel no need to have kids anytime soon. We both think we want one some day, but that''s about as far as we''ve planned.

Oh, and if the kid subject ever comes up, she launches into a whole thing about how if we have one, we have to have two
20.gif
Uh, no, two kids in diapers is not just as easy as one! That makes no sense.

Btw, love the idea of the tshirt! Though not sure the other mommies and friends in the room would get it. My friends would find it hilarious though!

rhbgirl24

Ideal_Rock
See I am the opposite! I love babies, and would prefer the newborn over a 2 year old. Once they can walk and talk... urg. lol

We dont want kids either, but now that my cousins are having them everyone keeps looking at us.....

doodle

Brilliant_Rock
LOL, April20, maybe we''re related--your grandfather sounds like most of my family! My mom gives me the guilt trip all the time about how she won''t live forever, at which point, I usually respond with, "Mom, you''re not even 50 yet, and supposedly the good die young, so you''ve got at least another 100 years on this earth."
11.gif
Women in my family tend to be very fertile, so I''m neurotic about it; I told DH he isn''t allowed to look at me while saying the word "pregnant" because it might happen, haha! The truth though is that I''d just rather get a Great Dane! Who knows? Maybe I''ll get sucked into it when more of my friends start having kids...or I''ll just continue being that aunt that spoils their kids rotten!

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
when I go to someone else''s house who has a baby, I will either pretend that I am sick and shouldn''t hold it or I''ll sit it in my lap and just ignore it which will usually get the mom to take it away from me quickly ("How can this mean woman not want to pay my beautiful baby any attention?!?").

by the way, I''m pregnant, and we planned it and I will love it to death because it''s mine. I just don''t like other people''s kids.

charbie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2010 10:36:44 AM
Author: rhbgirl24
See I am the opposite! I love babies, and would prefer the newborn over a 2 year old. Once they can walk and talk... urg. lol
same here! i like babies, but not kids as much. and DH is terrified of babies, but loves the walkie talkies, so hopefully it evens out.

onedrop

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2010 11:55:50 AM
Author: noelwr
when I go to someone else''s house who has a baby, I will either pretend that I am sick and shouldn''t hold it or I''ll sit it in my lap and just ignore it which will usually get the mom to take it away from me quickly (''How can this mean woman not want to pay my beautiful baby any attention?!?'').

by the way, I''m pregnant, and we planned it and I will love it to death because it''s mine. I just don''t like other people''s kids.

^^^^Very interesting statement noelwr. My cousin who now has two kids once said the same thing about not liking other people''s kids. At the time I was thinking, "really????" Now I totally get it. I *like* other folk''s kids but I have no burning desire to be around them all the time.

People keep asking us too and it''s starting to get on my nerves. DH and I both want kids, it just hasn''t happened yet. But it doesn''t stop people from pushing us to "get started."
20.gif

noelwr

Brilliant_Rock
I agree it is super annoying people asking you all the time if you want kids and when. first of all, it''s none of their business. second, people aren''t stupid and should realize that not everyone can have kids at the drop of a hat and that it could be a sensitive issue.

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/6/2010 3:33:16 AM
Author: noelwr
I agree it is super annoying people asking you all the time if you want kids and when. first of all, it''s none of their business. second, people aren''t stupid and should realize that not everyone can have kids at the drop of a hat and that it could be a sensitive issue.

One of my dear friends has to go through IVF because of her DH''s health problems. She has become OK with it but SO MANY people at our work continually ask her if she''s pregnant! Not when is she having kids but "Hey I heard you''re pregnant" I get SO ANGRY for her because I know she has sadness over it still. People need to realize exactly what you said noelwr!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results