shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh no! *slight whine*

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
So I originally wanted my father who is a Catholic Deacon to officiate at my wedding. Well he died about a year and a half ago so that''s not going to work. So then, FI piped up that he would really like it if a religion teacher from high school who is also a priest could do it since they had a really good bond. So we''ve been kindof operating under the assumption that he would do it, but FI hadn''t gotten around to emailing him until yesterday. Well it turns out that the priest doesn''t do weddings anymore.

So now what do I do? I don''t have any priests at my home parish that I have any kind of connection to, and we''re not having the wedding there anyways. And FI doesn''t have a connection with anyone at his home parish either. So now we just don''t know what to do.

We''ll be ok as we have plenty of time to figure it out... but it still really sucks and FI is really disappointed.
38.gif

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/3/2009 3:07:30 PM
Author:redfaerythinker
So I originally wanted my father who is a Catholic Deacon to officiate at my wedding. Well he died about a year and a half ago so that''s not going to work. So then, FI piped up that he would really like it if a religion teacher from high school who is also a priest could do it since they had a really good bond. So we''ve been kindof operating under the assumption that he would do it, but FI hadn''t gotten around to emailing him until yesterday. Well it turns out that the priest doesn''t do weddings anymore.

So now what do I do? I don''t have any priests at my home parish that I have any kind of connection to, and we''re not having the wedding there anyways. And FI doesn''t have a connection with anyone at his home parish either. So now we just don''t know what to do.

We''ll be ok as we have plenty of time to figure it out... but it still really sucks and FI is really disappointed.
38.gif
I''m sorry to hear that all these things have happened to you, faery. FI and I also have a priest we are connected with (his uncle) that we are hoping will officiate our ceremony. He is part of a totally different diocese so I am not 100% sure it will happen so we share some of the same issues.

Do you live close to the church you grew up in or the one that your FI grew up in? If not, have you considered attending a few different parishes in your area, picking your favorite, and going there regularly to gain some sort of connection with the priest?

My friend and her husband got married in a church they had no connection to at all prior to their wedding but it seemed to me during the homily that the priest had put a lot of thought into them as a couple and it wasn''t generic at all. I could see that from all of their meetings with the priest they had managed to form some sort of bond. Perhaps this might happen with a new priest in your life? I know it won''t be the same as a family mamber or a past religion teacher but it might turn out better than you think.

Good luck with everything!
1.gif

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
On the brighter side, you have 2 years to form a new (and for all you know, lasting) bond with someone at either (or both!) parish (/es).
1.gif

teapot

Shiny_Rock
Where do you plan to get married? My DH and I got married in a church where the new pastor stepped in 2.5 months we got married and his first question to us was, "Do you want me to do the wedding or do you have someone else in mind?" I would assume that the pastor or or other priest at that church would be able to step in and perform the mass. I know that the priest may not have a true connection to you and your FI, but once the process is over, he will know you enough to say something meaningful. Make sure you listen to his homily during mass to see if you like his style.

tlh

Ideal_Rock
THAT STINKS! I am sorry!

redfaerythinker

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks guys! On top of all of the rest of it, i''ve just found out that my third choice priest has cancer.
23.gif
They''re hoping he''ll be ok but good Lord. I think we''re just going to hang tight until we pick a venue and or a church. Then we''ll go from there. I mean, we both went to two different Catholic Schools, and grew up in two different parishes. We ought to be able to find SOMEBODY. lol

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results