shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh No, dirty diamonds - why Cut is REALLY important

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Date: 11/24/2006 6:26:34 PM
Author: diamondsrock
I''m going to go totally against the grain here. The h&a on the right is lovely and would of course be my pick out of the two.
However, in the bottom photo, I swear it looks more dirty than the poorly cut stone. The nice stone has picked up some overall partial leakage DR. So yes - it has lost some kick - but it has not developed really bad dead areas Cloudy, hazy, spotty. The one on the left has major leakage through the bottom and isn''t cut as well, but I''m not seeing the cloudiness that I do on the h&a in that bottom picture. What am I missing here? Do you see what I mean from the photo? yes of course - it is because there is no partial leakage - it is almost completely see thru - and that means you may as well have a rough diamond on your finger as the cut stone has the same amount of light return.

Date: 11/24/2006 8:10:52 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)

Don''t hold your breath.
f you like the crushed ice effect - then you will need to live with more of a see thru effect.
Also Radiant and to some extent cushions show more color - stay above G
unless of course you *LIKE* the color!! Some people pay lots of money for a VERY yellow stone - what''s not to love about a slightly yellow stone????? and

Garry, when you say that you prefer slightly shallower stones, exactly what measurements do you mean?

Date: 11/25/2006 9:48:46 AM
Author: diamondseeker2006
Garry, when you say that you prefer slightly shallower stones, exactly what measurements do you mean?
DS check out this explantion page for HCA. See the chart with the black ovals on it.
http://diamonds.pricescope.com/ideal.asp

You prefer me to give you single set of proportions - I prefer to give you thousands.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
GET 3 FREE HCA RESULTS JOIN THE FORUM. ASK FOR HELP