shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh my Kataoka!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wondered if you would be there!! Lucky you- to have a flagship store that you can visit!! How gorgeous are their pieces?!

I'm waiting on Anis to get back to me once he is done with the grand opening in NYC :) i know they've been crazy busy lately!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crystal_Dreams luckily for my wallet, I have to fly cross-country to get to the store. It’s been nice visiting NY and going to A Current Affair was fun too.

WhoaNelly

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much for posting these exquisite pieces and sharing that they opened a store in NYC! I came across some pieces in Portland OR and fell hard. When I'm in NY, I will definitely stop by. Enjoy and I hope as you enlarge your collection, you will share. I may have to live vicariously through you ;)2

C

Chanterelle

So I'm apparently very bad at photographing jewelry! But I have two Kataoka necklaces and I love them. Their chains are so delicate and glittery.

One is a tassel necklace from their Less Is More collection and the other is a snowflake necklace. The snowflake necklace is supposedly rose gold but it looks like yellow gold to me. I got them a while ago when they were less expensive.

I really want that crown ring and the snowflake earrings but everything is so pricey now. It's hard to justify.

20181020_233906.jpg

20181020_234039.jpg

C

Chanterelle

Side note - I think this might be Kataoka's less expensive line. I'm not sure but a lot of the physical store fixtures look similar so I don't think it's a knockoff brand.

There are some similar styles (there's even a small version of the crown ring!) but overall I like the kataoka line more.

www.jewelrybox.jp

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Side note - I think this might be Kataoka's less expensive line. I'm not sure but a lot of the physical store fixtures look similar so I don't think it's a knockoff brand.

There are some similar styles (there's even a small version of the crown ring!) but overall I like the kataoka line more.

www.jewelrybox.jp

Sorry to say that's a knockoff brand. I believe Kataoka is in the process of suing them.

mol42

Shiny_Rock
@JPie Thank you for introducing Kataoka! I love his aesthetic and all the pieces are so beautiful, unique, but with a touch of whimsy.:love: I have started stalking IG and will definitely go to the store next time I’m in NYC. Do you have any idea how expensive his commissioned pieces are?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie Thank you for introducing Kataoka! I love his aesthetic and all the pieces are so beautiful, unique, but with a touch of whimsy.:love: I have started stalking IG and will definitely go to the store next time I’m in NYC. Do you have any idea how expensive his commissioned pieces are?

Glad you like it! I’m not sure what their current prices are like for commissions, sorry!

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They’re pretty high... the prices have gone up since I last enquired, but there’s a minimum spend of several thousand dollars for a custom piece. Best to check with them directly.

C

Chanterelle

Sorry to say that's a knockoff brand. I believe Kataoka is in the process of suing them.

Wow Kataoka should definitely sue them. That brand even copies the way Kataoka displays things.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow Kataoka should definitely sue them. That brand even copies the way Kataoka displays things.
Yeah, it’s nuts how far they’re willing to go to deceive people!

Reactions: AV_

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
So I'm apparently very bad at photographing jewelry! But I have two Kataoka necklaces and I love them. Their chains are so delicate and glittery.

One is a tassel necklace from their Less Is More collection and the other is a snowflake necklace. The snowflake necklace is supposedly rose gold but it looks like yellow gold to me. I got them a while ago when they were less expensive.

I really want that crown ring and the snowflake earrings but everything is so pricey now. It's hard to justify.

20181020_233906.jpg

20181020_234039.jpg

Sorry I’m super late to the thread- I’ve been considering getting the diamond tassel necklace, but the price is steep :/ you mentioned you purchased yours when it was cheaper- Do you mind sharing how much it was back then? Also, do you think it is suitable for an everyday necklace? I’m looking for something I don’t have to take off at the end of the day.

C

Chanterelle

Hi Ondine,

I purchased the tassel necklace about a year ago through Catbird. At that time the list price was $2980 but Catbird gave me a 15% birthday discount so it came out to $2533. Unfortunately they now exclude Kataoka from their discounts so it's about $750 more.

However, you can also buy the necklace through Ylang23 and if you have an Ebates account, you can get 6% cashback which is almost $200 off. If you don't already have ebates, here is my referral code.

I would say the necklace is definitely suitable for everyday wear. I am very lazy about my necklaces and I tend to sleep and shower in them. In real life this necklace was tinier and daintier than I expected - but also more sparkly. The chain catches the light like crazy and I've had a few compliments from strangers. I really love it.

Ondine27

Rough_Rock
Hi Ondine,

I purchased the tassel necklace about a year ago through Catbird. At that time the list price was $2980 but Catbird gave me a 15% birthday discount so it came out to $2533. Unfortunately they now exclude Kataoka from their discounts so it's about $750 more.

However, you can also buy the necklace through Ylang23 and if you have an Ebates account, you can get 6% cashback which is almost $200 off. If you don't already have ebates, here is my referral code.

I would say the necklace is definitely suitable for everyday wear. I am very lazy about my necklaces and I tend to sleep and shower in them. In real life this necklace was tinier and daintier than I expected - but also more sparkly. The chain catches the light like crazy and I've had a few compliments from strangers. I really love it.

Hi Ondine,

Thanks for the info and code! I looked into it as I’ve never used Ebates before and the only thing that concerned me is the length of time to get your rebate. I was considering purchasing the necklace from Ylang23 over the Thanksgiving weekend as they had a $200 off purchases over $1500 or something like that, but ultimately missed out due to time zone issues (I live in Hawaii). I hope they have a deal similar to that around Valentine’s Day. Only way I can justify the price :/ Kataoka is crazy pricey when you consider the necklace is over $3k for .50 of diamonds.

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Next, some color! Natural unheated 0.35 ct sugarloaf ruby, 0.45 ctw paraiba tourmalines, and 0.10 ctw diamond accents. This was also a pain to photograph!

KONgcyyLQu2meX+44iaW8A.jpg %uvMlbjZTB2bgcAljvrpaQ.jpg
jgPXAffKRiGdEPdnMq+3HQ.jpg d5UcSzTxTyq77DAWD8YNVA.jpg qB2a%GnCT6uDSZM5PgkLtg.jpg
Love the multi-colored stone ring. It is beautiful.

C

Chanterelle

I hope they have a deal similar to that around Valentine’s Day. Only way I can justify the price :/

Ondine, FYI Kataoka's Instagram says they are going to have a substantial price increase on March 1 and this increase will be reflected across all of their retailers. If you haven't bought that necklace but you still want it, it might be time to pull the trigger:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bt83cOtBSqt/

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie -

I've looked at this thread a dozen times and only noticed today I'd never commented on it.

These things are so beautiful! His aesthetic is just exquisite, and his take on a solitaire is ethereal and sublime. I LOVE your Kataoka pieces - you must have such lovely personal taste!

Thank you so much for sharing. :))

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks @mrs-b ! Glad you like it.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie Thanks for the link; your pieces are all exquisite, but dang that criss cut is mesmerizing! :love:

WhatAboutTheCats

Rough_Rock
Thanks for introducing me to Kataoka! The aesthetic is so minimialist and yet visually intriguiging that the viewer will take the time to really see the details. This is some really beautiful jewelry.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@JPie Thanks for the link; your pieces are all exquisite, but dang that criss cut is mesmerizing! :love:
My pleasure! It’s hard to capture the cut in photos; it’s definitely very different from other step cuts and it took three tries to find the right setting for it.

Thanks for introducing me to Kataoka! The aesthetic is so minimialist and yet visually intriguiging that the viewer will take the time to really see the details. This is some really beautiful jewelry.
I’m seeing a lot more minimalist jewelry doing the ultra-thin band these days but I think you’re right about the details. That’s something I’ve yet to see other designers do well when they appear to be taking inspiration from Kataoka.

hypermom

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for sharing this collection with us! I love your collection of Kataoka and I would love to own a piece myself someday. Just lovely!

naroo_11

Shiny_Rock
Last, my engagement ring. I've posted this in a few other places as well, so apologies for the repeat. Center stone was my own, and for our 10th anniversary we visited Kataoka in Japan to have him reset it. I knew I loved the snowflake design so I let him run with it. This was cast from Kataoka's hand carving.

Specs: 1.02 ct center stone, F color, VVS2 (prev. noted as 1.03 erroneously in other posts), with 0.38 ctw melee. Size 5.5.

SnLpyBKgTTGe8Q1C5AFnAw.jpg Nqt27xB0Styu%IfmFD5UlA.jpg 2fGioJT8QWKoSWEoNoHoSg.jpg IMG_4308.JPG iA%q1hEoRJ+a1NnKwcafUw.jpg 0lz+zHO3S6eru3iqiYOGSg.jpg lHMseljkSASK4jcLxhp5gQ.jpg

I love this ring. That center stone is amazing.

RissaLou

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Did you all see Emma Stone's ring!?? I personally wouldn't have gone with pearl for everyday wear, but it's exciting to see Kataoka in the public eye

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did you all see Emma Stone's ring!?? I personally wouldn't have gone with pearl for everyday wear, but it's exciting to see Kataoka in the public eye

I love that ring! It's kind of refreshing to see a celebrity wear something subtle and delicate.

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I came looking for this thread because of Emma Stone’s ring!! Exciting, but I’m sure his prices will continue to go up further now as popularity increases.

In other news, I got a video from Anis today of my completed paraiba snowflake. I’m heading to Japan to pick it up in early Jan but omg!!! His work is like art, seriously. I thought long and hard about how to set this stone... nothing seemed right but the snowflake. Now I’ve seen the videos, I almost feel like my stone doesn’t do the setting justice!

If this is the last Kataoka piece I can afford, at least it’s an impressive one lol!

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I came looking for this thread because of Emma Stone’s ring!! Exciting, but I’m sure his prices will continue to go up further now as popularity increases.

In other news, I got a video from Anis today of my completed paraiba snowflake. I’m heading to Japan to pick it up in early Jan but omg!!! His work is like art, seriously. I thought long and hard about how to set this stone... nothing seemed right but the snowflake. Now I’ve seen the videos, I almost feel like my stone doesn’t do the setting justice!

If this is the last Kataoka piece I can afford, at least it’s an impressive one lol!
How exciting! I can’t wait to see how your ring turned out!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results