shape
carat
color
clarity

OH MY GOSH!!! Old gemstones found at my parents house...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Those are so exciting - it will be really cool to find out more about them, regardless of whether they are "real" or not...

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree 100% It's very exciting regardless!!
36.gif
Even if it isn't a diamond. It's still FUN!!!
31.gif
And gives me gemstone photo-taking practice for when I get engaged.
27.gif
Plus it's been keeping me busy while FF is away visiting his ill Grandmother out of state.

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
So here are some more...

dgfind6.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
My Dad (who loves taking photos) saw me taking photos then decided to get out his camera and take some close ups of the little guy...lol

dgfind7.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
profile (so you can see the small table, thin girdle and thick crown I was speaking of)

dgfind12.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
The old ring in all it''s glory basking in the harsh winter sun...

dgfind8.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for all the 'hand shots' in these photos...
20.gif
There just isn't much of a good background in March for outside shots. (as you can obviously see all the brown in the background) lol!

dgfind9.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
Loved this little ''fire'' shot...

dgfind10.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
And now introducing this lovely cameo ring. I think it's around a size 6 because I'm a 5.5 and it was a little big. I believe it's 10k gold.

dgfind11.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
A close up...

dgfind13.jpg

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I''ll post some more later (better get back to work!
6.gif
3.gif
)

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
I see plenty of you have looked but no posting? Awww man...
15.gif
ok!
3.gif
More photos to come too. Stay tuned.

peachster

Rough_Rock
I am thrilled for you - love the 1881 ring in particular. Thanks for sharing, we want more pictures!

Clairitek

Ideal_Rock
I''m curious to find out more about that big diamond-like stone! Have you posted it over in the Old Cuts thread to see if anyone can tell you anything?

Thanks for posting the pics!

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
AAhhh what a cool find! I love the close up shots of the diamond-like-stone. I can''t wait to find out if it''s real or not!

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
So what''s the latest Dreamgirl? What fun! I love your finds, whether they are diamonds or rubies or costume. They were obviously very important to someone once to be hidden away like that.

My grandmother used to do that and we scoured her house when she died but I think it''s possible that 50 years from now someone will find something great hidden somewhere in her former house!

ckrickett

Ideal_Rock
love that came too

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 3:53:18 PM
Author: Dreamgirl
So here are some more...
The photo answers the question if this is a genuine diamond of not!Anyone care to discuss...look at the center of the diamond to see what I see!(Think about the newspaper test to seperate cubic from diamond).

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 4:08:31 PM
And now introducing this lovely cameo ring. I think it''s around a size 6 because I''m a 5.5 and it was a little big. I believe it''s 10k gold.
love the carving on the cameo!This ring is so perfectly late 19th, early 20th century!

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/17/2009 1:28:24 AM
Author: jewelerman

So here are some more...
The photo answers the question if this is a genuine diamond of not!Anyone care to discuss...look at the center of the diamond to see what I see!(Think about the newspaper test to seperate cubic from diamond).

Jewelryman, please fill me in on the newspaper test...

I can be patient, if you'd prefer to leave us all dangling for awhile!
2.gif

I'm curious to hear everyone's guesses on what the little gizmo that the {it might be a diamond} is mounted in might be! Would you pull a scarf or cord through the little opening? Twist it onto something? Use it as a verrry nice page-marker? A clothes pin for your finest lingerie?

That's quite a box of lovelies, Dreamgirl!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 4:07:07 PM
Loved this little ''fire'' shot...
Oh me too, pretty! Love the pics!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing the treasures, they do look consistent with the same time (late 1800''s early 1900''s), where garnets were very popular during that time. Dreamgirl if you don''t want to do a full appraisal on the diamond-looking gem but want to find out whether it is a diamond or not, take it to a mall and have it tested with a diamond tester. It will at least tell you whether it is a diamond (diamond or moissanite but there was no moissanite back then) or non-diamond.

What jewelrman is referring to is that when you place a diamond on a background, because of the high diffractive indext you shouldn''t be able to see the background clearly (i.e. read newspaper print underneath it). I don''t know how definitive a test this with larger, perhaps not perfectly cut diamonds (too bad I don''t have a stash of large diamonds to test this out!).

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock

So here are some more...

If you are seeing what I am then I am fairly sure it''s another type of stone. The facets also look very fuzzy/abraded, which is not how diamond facets usually look even in old stones.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 8:31:01 AM
Author: neatfreak

So here are some more...

If you are seeing what I am then I am fairly sure it''s another type of stone. The facets also look very fuzzy/abraded, which is not how diamond facets usually look even in old stones.

Yup, I saw that too. Guesses on what it is?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/17/2009 9:42:26 AM
Author: mercoledi
Date: 3/17/2009 8:31:01 AM

Author: neatfreak

So here are some more...

Yup, I saw that too. Guesses on what it is?

I was thinking maybe Zircon? I was thinking that especially due to the facet abrasion... but I am no expert for sure.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Maybe you could take them to a jeweler in the area just for a quick opinion on what they might be?

Dreamgirl

Ideal_Rock
peachster- Thanks! I plan on posting more pictures so check back!

Clairitek- I haven''t posted it over there. I thought about it but if it turns out not to be a diamond, then it wouldn''t belong over there.

Porridge- Ditto!

Gayletmom- Thanks, I completely agree.

ckrickett- Thank you!

jewelerman & neatfreak- I see what you are saying. Thanks much for your help, I really appreciate it!

VRBeauty- Your welcome! Thanks for looking, I''m happy to share!

Ellen- Thank you much!

part gypsy- I thought about doing that but unsure yet what I should do. I would really like to have it all looked at but don''t know about how much it would cost...

innerkitten- I probably wont be able to take this stuff anywhere until Saturday...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2009 6:50:55 PM
I see plenty of you have looked but no posting? Awww man...
15.gif
ok!
3.gif
More photos to come too. Stay tuned.

Ooops! SPRUNG!! Perhaps looking at old jewellery creates a passive, revery-like state ... well it does for me... so interesting!!! Thanks so much for sharing, Dreamgirl, and I look forward to seeing and hearing (well, reading) some more about your find!!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to hear what you find out about these pieces--thanks for sharing!

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Did you ever find out hat these were?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results