shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh Boy, I''m proposing this weekend !!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newyorker21

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone- This is my first post on this site. I''m quite impress with the information that is posted on the site- extremely helpful. I''m planning to propose to my girlfriend this weekend in Positano, Italy. I''m actually quite nervous because I''m afraid I''m going to srcew up this nice surprise. If anyone has been to Positano or Naples and has any romantic ideas to share, please kindly let me know. She is an ideal girl for me...so I want this proposal to be perfect. Please help !!!

Also, is there anything regarding traveling with the engagement ring that I should be worry about?? I''m hoping to get an insurance policy for my ring this week before taking off to Italy. Thank you in advance for your kind response !

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
AYYY NewYorka
check out "flying with ring" (this one) and do additional searches on "airport" in the search box.
As for ideas? Dude its Italy! ! Look around and find somewhere nice or do google searches for attraction in Naples etc. you'll find somethin.
I've never been so i cant help you out much on this one
9.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
I haven''t been to Italy either...but I don''t think the spot will matter...as Daniel B said.."Dude, it is Italy"- the bus station would work!!

I would like to make one suggestion...after the proposal here is an idea:

Have you seen that commerical I think it is a diamond is forever series? Anyway I think it is the couples 10th anniversary...and they have gone to Italy..Rome...it could be Paris...anyway...they are in some city square...and he yells in the public square beneath the pidgeons and in the midst of all the hustle and bustle..."I L O V E T H I S W O M A N !!!"...he hands her the anniversary ring, they embrace and she whispers in his ear..."I LOVE THIS MAN, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM ! (Golly gee this gets me everytime...all I can say if we ever get there...my husband better do that!!)

Well, DUDE, if she has seen that commerical...she will love your public exclamation of your love for her.... You will find the perfect place for the proposal...but it could be fun if you are looking for a lighthearted thing to do in addition to your special plan!

Besides telling her girlfriends about that well it would be really cool.

Again just a suggestion....not every girl is gushy when they see those commercials. You know your girl...don''t do it if she is shy.

I am a big movie nut...have found that the library is an economical way to get movies...FREE...anyway there are always videos and DVD''s on Italy. Actually there are alot on Italy. If you have the time you may consider looking at a few of them. Pictures in a book or Fodors travel are great...but a travel video may put your mind at ease when you are able to picture the scenery in real perspective.

Best wishes...and make wonderful memories while in Italy...DUDE.

DKS

Daniel B. I am not making fun of your DUDE usage...it was perfect. I enjoyed borrowing it myself!

WTNLVR

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would depend on the girl. I would be truly MORTIFIED if I was proposed to that way. And yes, I hate that commercial. A nice private quite moment is more to my liking and way more romantic IMO.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think private and romantic is the way to go here, as you are unsure as the best way to go ,you should get lots of inspiration in Italy
3.gif
I have never seen the ad DK - British TV sucks, thank goodness for American shows! Maybe your GF would like a slightly more public proposal, you know her best. I hope it goes well for you, I am sure it will as you are obviously putting a lot of thought into this
36.gif
If in any doubt though, play it safe.

ammayernyc

Brilliant_Rock
The ''I Love This Woman'' commercial is in Venice. That''s my dream proposal...
30.gif

Naples is not particularly nice. It''s a big city, kind of dirty, and I''ve heard not that safe. Positano is beautiful. There are lots of beautiful winding roads to walk along... maybe take a walk and while looking at the fantastic view, bring out the ring.

Good luck!

Nicole72680

Rough_Rock
I would definately love something like that commercial. even though i am shy I am a leo and love the spotlight, and my bf is also a leo...know you girl and make sure everything is perfect

petuniaprincess

Rough_Rock
Near Naples, there is an island called Capri that you can take a ferry to. It is absolutely beautiful, and certainly romantic. You can take a ride to the top of the mountain or take a rowboat into the caves below the island (when the sun hits right the water is an amazing blue color). There are lots of cute little shops and great places for a lunch/dinner. You can also rent scooters and ride around the island.

It is pretty well-known so I am sure you could find a lot of information just doing a Google search.

Good luck!!!

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 12:02:32 PM
Author: petuniaprincess
Near Naples, there is an island called Capri that you can take a ferry to. It is absolutely beautiful, and certainly romantic. You can take a ride to the top of the mountain or take a rowboat into the caves below the island (when the sun hits right the water is an amazing blue color). There are lots of cute little shops and great places for a lunch/dinner. You can also rent scooters and ride around the island.
Capri and the Blue Grotto is a great idea! (Only problem...probably a lot of toursts)

Here''s a pic of the Blue Grotto

bluegrotto.jpg

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Positano is full of cute cobblestone streets, statues, churches, and of course, water...you can always charter a boat.

Naples isn''t quite the same...lots of stores and busy streets, but down by the marina it''s pretty nice...

Good luck!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/12/2005 12:17:09 PM
Author: widget

Date: 10/12/2005 12:02:32 PM
Author: petuniaprincess
Capri and the Blue Grotto is a great idea! (Only problem...probably a lot of toursts)

Here''s a pic of the Blue Grotto
That is beautiful Widget
30.gif
That would do me for a proposal nicely
3.gif

lilyinct

Shiny_Rock
Almost forgot- when you''re in Naples- you have to eat pizza at least once a day!!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Blimey Lily they would need an aircraft carrier to get me back home then!
14.gif

bling*diva*

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:11:10 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
I haven''t been to Italy either...but I don''t think the spot will matter...as Daniel B said..''Dude, it is Italy''- the bus station would work!!

I would like to make one suggestion...after the proposal here is an idea:

Have you seen that commerical I think it is a diamond is forever series? Anyway I think it is the couples 10th anniversary...and they have gone to Italy..Rome...it could be Paris...anyway...they are in some city square...and he yells in the public square beneath the pidgeons and in the midst of all the hustle and bustle...''I L O V E T H I S W O M A N !!!''...he hands her the anniversary ring, they embrace and she whispers in his ear...''I LOVE THIS MAN, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM ! (Golly gee this gets me everytime...all I can say if we ever get there...my husband better do that!!)

Well, DUDE, if she has seen that commerical...she will love your public exclamation of your love for her.... You will find the perfect place for the proposal...but it could be fun if you are looking for a lighthearted thing to do in addition to your special plan!

Besides telling her girlfriends about that well it would be really cool.

Again just a suggestion....not every girl is gushy when they see those commercials. You know your girl...don''t do it if she is shy.

I am a big movie nut...have found that the library is an economical way to get movies...FREE...anyway there are always videos and DVD''s on Italy. Actually there are alot on Italy. If you have the time you may consider looking at a few of them. Pictures in a book or Fodors travel are great...but a travel video may put your mind at ease when you are able to picture the scenery in real perspective.

Best wishes...and make wonderful memories while in Italy...DUDE.

DKS

Daniel B. I am not making fun of your DUDE usage...it was perfect. I enjoyed borrowing it myself!

~~I absolutely
30.gif
30.gif
that commercial!! I think it is a very cute way to propose to her. I would also like something more intimate too... it just depends on the type of girl she is. As long as she doesn''t get embarassed easily, I think she would like it!! Good Luck!!!!
2.gif

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''ve travelled extensively in Italy. Naples wouldn''t be my first choice for a proposal-- dirty, noisy, and the folks there just weren''t as friendly as in other parts of the country. But, if you''d like something different, you can propose on the top of Mt. Vesuvius. It''s a 45 min. hike to the top; barren as heck up there but on a clear day the view of the entire Amalfi Coast is terrific. This pic is from the bottom of the Vesuvius trail.
Walking_up_Vesuvius.jpg

Positano has lots of charming spots but it''s the biggest of the Amalfi towns and will have the most tourists. You can take a local bus to all of the smaller towns, explore until you find a spot that feels right. Less tourists, friendly locals. If you propose in public, be prepared to have the locals join in because they''ll want to feed you, give you wine, and have a party. They won''t care what your names are or whether you speak Italian, for that matter, they won''t care if you hang around for the party but they''ll be darn happy to celebrate for you
9.gif

newyorker21

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for your input and ideas !! Widget- that Blue Grotto looks amazing. I have to look into that tonight. Door knob solitaire- thanks for the idea about "I love this women" commercial. It is very cute....but the location has to be right. Since I''ve never been to Italy before, I''m planning to just let the place inspired me.

Having said that, I do have a plan in mind. After spending a night in Naples for our anniversary, I will take her down to Positano for a couple of days. On the first night in Positano, I will take her out to nice dinner in town...meanwhile I''ll ask the hotel staffs to help me decorate the room with flowers and candles. When we return to the hotel, she will be totally surprised by the decoration. I will then bring her out to the terrace over looking the Mediterranean....which will probably be around the sunset or under the moonlight...I will then get down on my knee and pop the question and hope for the best. Will post some pictures after the trip.

Cheers,

PuntaRegina1.jpg

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
You''ve got it New Yorker. That is winner.

Best wishes...and please post the play by play when you return!

Door Knob...

Oh, guys, I didn''t mean for him to propse that way...it is an after the proposal thing...surely they will be there additonal days...just one more thing to do to add to the memory. I agree private time is called for here. But I am glad there were some in ageement about the love of that commercial. Remember it wasn''t a proposal, it was a celebration of anniversary (the three stone anniversary ring-wasn''t it?)...I can see how some would feel uncomfortable...we all are so different aren''t we? My face would become inflamed with embarrassment and I would run to the nearest doorway. But I love how that woman handled it...All she saw was him. Never worried about any other eyes apond her. Or any other opinions. She turned that public moment into a private intimate ending. That is probably what I admired most. Great to have sparked you all!
36.gif
Oh, I know SHE didn''t do it...a crew of fifty writers came up with the idea is a smoke filled conference room...it was after all a script.

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Hi New Yorker.

I''ve been to Naples and Capri. Naples is a big, busy, loud, dirty, and hectic city. I''m sure there may be some nice parts I didn''t see, but that was my impression of it for the couple days I was there. I just went to Naples to get to and from Capri.

Capri is one of the most beautiful places in the world. I would highly reccomend going there. Maybe keep it a total surprise from your girlfriend.....arrange to take the ferry from Naples to Capri (I think it took 1-2 hours) and reserve a hotel room for the night. I actually know the perfect hotel because I stayed there -- I''m attaching some pictures to this post.

http://www.caesar-augustus.com

It is stunning! I stayed there on a tip from a friend who spend part of her honeymoon on Capri, and it was amazing. It''s perched high atop a cliff, has an amazing infinity pool, great views of the ocean, etc. It was very romantic. It was pricey but worth it.

Anyway, you could surprise your girlfriend with a night or two in Capri. There are tons of beautiful little restaurants (some with views, some without, there''s a few different parts of the island you can go to). There are lemon trees everywhere and lots of lush plants. The island itself is very tall with steep hills and cliffs -- giving beautiful views of the ocean and surrounding islands.

From where the ferry lets you off, you can take a gondola straight up the hill to a wonderful part of the island filled with little charming romantic hotels, nice shops, great cafes and restaurants, etc. There are great views there too. You could find a romantic area there and propose, or just spend part of your day shopping, having a nice long lunch, etc.

Anyway, do a Google search for Capri and read about all the different hotel options, restaurant options, places you might be able to propose, etc.

I would say that I would NOT reccomend proposing in the Blue Grotto. When you decide to go to the Blue Grotto, you get in a pretty small boat with 1 guide and about 6-8 other tourists. I''m sure you could get your own boat if you wanted to pay extra. But you get to the entrance to the cave-like area (which is the Blue Grotto) and you have to wait for other tourist boats to go in and out. Then you get inside, and its dark, but you start to see the water glow, like there''s blue lights actually in the water. It''s kind of neat to see, but I found it very overrated. You just look at the water for a bit, take a couple pictures, and turn around to leave. Not a place where it''s very beautiful, romantic, secluded, etc. And I would HATE the idea of you being in one of those little boats with the ring in your pocket, getting splashed every once in a while from the waves, terrified that you''re going to drop the ring in the water. Totally possible, in my opinion.

If you''d like to propose in a boat somehow, you can probably hire a guide to take you around the island and find a much better proposal spot. Or find an area where you can go for a short hike and bring a romantic picnic, bottle of wine, etc. Actually, on Capri they have ton and tons of delicious limoncello -- it is a delicious lemon liquour that is sweet and tart -- tastes exactly like lemon drop candy. Not like lemon drop shots -- ick -- but it''s a really smooth, delicious, refreshing drink (serve chilled). I drank it everywhere in Italy.

Anyway, good luck!

capri 5.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
Another picture of the hotel.

capri 1.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
And another.

capri 2.jpg

ellewoods

Shiny_Rock
One more.

capri 4.jpg

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 7:30:36 AM
Author: WTNLVR
I think it would depend on the girl. I would be truly MORTIFIED if I was proposed to that way. And yes, I hate that commercial. A nice private quite moment is more to my liking and way more romantic IMO.
Hahaha LOL LOL, Im with you on that one-- I would never propose like that-- and my GF wouldn''t like that either-- shes a quiet type-- yes it depends on the girl and the guy for that one.
BTW WOW-- love that hotel!!!!

Erin

Ideal_Rock

When I worked in downtown Chicago I used to sit on a bench at the Daley center and eat lunch by myself just people watching.

I imagine people who have a regular routine on those steps in Venice laughing amongst themselves - oh boy here''s another one. Third one today....

he yells in the public square beneath the pidgeons and in the midst of all the hustle and bustle...''I L O V E T H I S W O M A N !!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Capri is beautiful! It would be a perfect place. Funny enough my FI was going to propose similar to that in vegas (not the screaming part but having our families "hidden" there) It would have been sweet but hard to pull off. What if I spotted my mom early or something?

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/12/2005 5:11:10 AM
Author: door knob solitaire
Have you seen that commerical I think it is a diamond is forever series? Anyway I think it is the couples 10th anniversary...and they have gone to Italy..Rome...it could be Paris...anyway...they are in some city square...and he yells in the public square beneath the pidgeons and in the midst of all the hustle and bustle...''I L O V E T H I S W O M A N !!!''...he hands her the anniversary ring, they embrace and she whispers in his ear...''I LOVE THIS MAN, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM, I LOVE HIM ! (Golly gee this gets me everytime...all I can say if we ever get there...my husband better do that!!)

That commercial takes place in St. Mark''s Square in Venice...which IS one of the most romantic cities in the world!!
30.gif
30.gif

Daniel B

Shiny_Rock
New Yorker- What did she SAY? I hope she said yes, but youre not posting? I hope that doesn''t mean no
32.gif

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for asking KnightOwl...I have been wanting to ask myself.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results