shape
carat
color
clarity

Oh Boy I think I made a mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diswak

Rough_Rock
I recently bought a diamond ring for 6,180. It got appraised for 5,450.00. Is this normal? Should I return the ring to the retailer?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe... need more information!! You give us nothing to go on here!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
yes, can you give us more info about the stone, all the specs, what you purchased and what the appraiser said.

diswak

Rough_Rock
Hey Guys, thanks for the replies! Sorry for not posting all the info... I''ve been reading these forums long enough, I should have known better!
emsmile.gif

Heres the Diamond''s stats from the GIA report:

Color: D
Carat .87
Clarity VS2
Table 55%
Depth: 60.9
Crown Angle 34.0
Pavillion Angle 40.8
Polsih = Excellent
Symmery: None
Cutlet: None
The diamond is a branded super ideal Hearts and Arrows diamond. I dont think its fair to say what brand at this piont, since I havent had a chance to speaker to the appraiser or the jewler. For all I know there may be a mistake.

I paid 5,030.00 for the stone

The setting is a custom Platnum Tiffany Replica solitare setting.

The setting was 1,150.00

Any info at all would be appreciated. And if you need I also have an image scope and a few other reports.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't understand this withholding the vendor's name. Anyone who has been on the boards for a while knows exactly who the vendor is.

If it had great Ideal Scope, hearts and arrows, I'm sure the diamond is fine.

The setting is on the pricey side, but it's a great Tiff replica, isn't it?

:)

Brilliant_Rock
I think the appraiser is supposed to take into account the ''market'' that you purchased it - internet, retail, etc to give an accurate replacement value. To replace of ''like kind'' the appraiser would need to also account for a specific brand type if needed - was the appraiser aware of the brand name?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did the appraiser agree with the numbers on the GIA report? also, did they agree and give a price increase for the branding?

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:04:32 PM
Author: JulieN
I don''t understand this withholding the vendor''s name. Anyone who has been on the boards for a while knows exactly who the vendor is.
Not everyone knows - I don''t. And saying this is not a request that the info be posted... just pointing out that whatever seems obvious to you isn''t obvious to others lol

diswak

Rough_Rock
JulieN: Sounds like you know exactly who it is!I had a feeling some of the senior members of the board would. Do you happen to have that same Tiffany Replica? If so how do you like it?

The reason I'm holding back is because I dont it's really fair to possibly create a negative post about a brand/retailer/etc without first talking to the appraisers as well as the retailer.What happens if the retailer gives me the diamond for less? Or if there was a mistake made?. If by chance I was to put the brand name in the first or second post some people may not fully read the thread... and possibly miss a postive outcome.

And now for some good news. I called the appraisers a few minutes ago, and turn out the appraisal does have some mistakes in it. I blame myself since I asked them to rush the appraisal, so nto all the Is and Ts where crossed. Again I really cant blame them since I asked for it to be rushed. Hopefully this will bring the value of the ring up!

:) I think your 100 percent right. Hopefully this is where the mistake is! I guess We'll have to wait and see until tommrow!

mrssalvo: For the most part yes they do agree, but funny enough the megascope is a bit different then the GIA! Who do I trust megascope or GIA?

Thanks again guys for your help

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, I don't have it, but it looks very nice in pics!
4.gif

Go with the GIA report. The Megascope numbers oftentimes don't match up with what the Ideal Scope image is saying, so to me, the numbers are suspect.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:05:26 PM
Author: :)
I think the appraiser is supposed to take into account the ''market'' that you purchased it - internet, retail, etc to give an accurate replacement value. To replace of ''like kind'' the appraiser would need to also account for a specific brand type if needed - was the appraiser aware of the brand name?

this is true. here''s what it said on the appraisal I had done for my OEC stone:

The appraised value ($5250 for diamond only) is SGL''s opinion of a traditional fine jewelry store working at traditional retail markup. Other market level estimates follow:

Low traditional (sale) Retail: $4700-$4100
Expected Internet pricing: $4100-$3600

diswak

Rough_Rock
Thanks JulieN for the super quick answer! I have to agree with you 100%. The Idealscope looks awsome from what I can see, so do the GIA numbers. The Megascope kinda goes in a different direction. Maybe I should find a way to post a pic of the Idealscope pics and you guys can tell me what you think.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 8:04:32 PM
Author: JulieN

I don''t understand this withholding the vendor''s name. Anyone who has been on the boards for a while knows exactly who the vendor is.
I''m sorry...but I disagree with this.

There is not just one vendor selling branded H&A stones and known to the PS crowd. As such, I don''t think it can be said with certainty that anyone would know *exactly* who it is.

I''ve been here longer than most, and I can think of a few possible sources.

asscherisme

Ideal_Rock
Appraisers make mistakes. They are human. I had a friend buy his girl friend a GIA stone and brought it to be appraised and he freaked when his G color certified stone came back appraised as a N color. Turns out it was a typo on the appraisers part.

Check back with the appraiser. Did you buy the stone online?

It sounds like a really pretty ring.

diswak

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/20/2006 10:39:25 PM
Author: asscherisme
Appraisers make mistakes. They are human. I had a friend buy his girl friend a GIA stone and brought it to be appraised and he freaked when his G color certified stone came back appraised as a N color. Turns out it was a typo on the appraisers part.

You are 100% right. Since there was a possible mistake (again I do not blame the appraisers I blame me for asking them to rush it) only time will tell. My biggest fear is I paid more for a branded cut that I got ripped off on! I guess I''ll have to wait and see till tommorow afternoon.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
please keep us posted, i''ll be interested to see how this all turns out.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don''t know for sure who the vendor is because several sell a Tiffany replica setting. I think the prices from the PS vendors are better than any regular jewelry stores I went to. And if by chance this ring is from a vendor like WF or GOG that sends a nice appraisal with the stone/ring which is perfectly fine for insurance, then I don''t understand why you got another appraisal anyway.

And a big question, does this appraiser sell jewelry himself?

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/20/2006 10:39:25 PM
Author: asscherisme

It only takes a minute or two to check and proof read your work
34.gif
Yes, we ARE human
2.gif

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

diswak

Rough_Rock
Ok I got a good news update. Turns out there was a miscommunication between me and the appraiser. I didn’t tell them it was a branded Hearts and Arrows stone, so they appraised it as if it was a regular cut stone. They fixed the report the next morning and everything lines up. Thanks everyone for your input!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 8:56:17 PM
Author: diswak
Ok I got a good news update. Turns out there was a miscommunication between me and the appraiser. I didn’t tell them it was a branded Hearts and Arrows stone, so they appraised it as if it was a regular cut stone. They fixed the report the next morning and everything lines up. Thanks everyone for your input!
Ok I''m confused. I thought appraisers are supposed to know this kind of thing. I was under the impression that you don''t devulge what you have cut wise, color wise, etc.. They tell you what they believe you got and so on. If the stone matches the cert, etc... Actually I have recieved such detailed reports from my online purchases that I have never needed an apparaisal. So appriasers tell me what''s the deal here.

diswak, glad it was straightened out but need to have this cleared up in my own mind. I think it will be helpful for all that read this. Thanks!!!

:)

Brilliant_Rock
Kaleigh, they take into account factors such as the 'brand' (if any) of stone you buy, if you bought it in a place like Tiffany's or a mall store, or internet, etc. It is because of the different mark ups. The idea is that they are appraising what it would cost the insurance company to replace 'like' stone in the event something happened - it is likely that you would purchase the replacement store in the same way (i.e. on the internet or Tiffs, etc) you did the first time, so this helps to give an accurate replacement value. I sure wouldn't want to pay the insurance rates for the 'replacement value' in a retail store, but if I had a branded stone I would want to be covered at least to be able to get the brand again.

ETA: diswak - GLad you got it cleared up!
36.gif

diswak

Rough_Rock
Date: 12/21/2006 9:20:32 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 12/21/2006 8:56:17 PM
Author: diswak
Ok I''m confused. I thought appraisers are supposed to know this kind of thing. I was under the impression that you don''t devulge what you have cut wise, color wise, etc.. They tell you what they believe you got and so on. If the stone matches the cert, etc... Actually I have recieved such detailed reports from my online purchases that I have never needed an apparaisal. So appriasers tell me what''s the deal here.

diswak, glad it was straightened out but need to have this cleared up in my own mind. I think it will be helpful for all that read this. Thanks!!!
Kaleigh, I think the reason is to prove that you have a branded diamond. Without the proper paperwork I could lie to an appraiser, tell them I have a Hearts on Fire Diamond then go and use the appraisal to sell the diamond on ebay for a huge profit.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
diswak, I''m glad everything checked out.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results