shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Does anybody know where one can purchase a OEC? I recently saw one and was instantly in love the chunky facets. How low in color can one go before one starts to see yellow? I am pretty color sensitive so I was thinking no lower than G/H. Do they hide inclusions better than rounds? I would love any and all info you can give me on OEC!
35.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
www.faycullen.com sells loose OEC stones. I think Kaleigh found one for one of her relatives there. You might also check out www.singlestone.com. I bought mine from a local estate jeweler.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 8:49:39 PM
Author: mrssalvo
www.faycullen.com sells loose OEC stones. I think Kaleigh found one for one of her relatives there. You might also check out www.singlestone.com. I bought mine from a local estate jeweler.
Yes I did. My SIL had lost her OEC out of her ering on the beach no less!!!! I did a lot of searching. Talked to most of the vendors here and it was slim pickins. I did find her''s at Fay Cullen, can''t remember the specs off hand but it was about 1.25 and an H VS2. This was a long time ago. I''d call them to see what they have in stock. Singlestone is a good source too. Problem is that many of them are still sitting in safe deposit boxes and are still set. Finding loose OEC''s is tough but not impossible. Good luck!!! I adore them, and when I found the replacement for my SIL, she said I had found it''s twin which made me feel really good.
1.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Mrs.Salvo ...thanks Kaliegh. I wonder how low I can go on color and have it still look white.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/17/2006 10:43:40 PM
Author: Gothgrrl
Thanks Mrs.Salvo ...thanks Kaliegh. I wonder how low I can go on color and have it still look white.
You might not be able to go as low and get away without seeing it BUT the antique cuts can look better with a bit of color so in that respect you can get away with more :) The so so slight color looks awesome and gives it a real antique flair!

AdaBeta27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Be sure to search other PS threads on OECs.

G/H and maybe I or J will face up white. I have a 6.3mm I with medium blue flur and it always looks white except from the side, where it shows slight yellow tint. OECs really have to be seen. There is no "ideal" and cut and performance can vary widely. Earlly OECs can have a big open culet and depth / smaller diameter like OMCs. Later ones are starting to look more like the modern RBs and thus are spreadiier, shallower, and may be better performers. Lower clarity grade is not always from inclusions. Chips and scratches can reduce clarity grade to I1 or I2. The stone could be essentially VVS to SI but has some blemish.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 3:29:02 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
Date: 12/17/2006 10:43:40 PM

You might not be able to go as low and get away without seeing it BUT the antique cuts can look better with a bit of color so in that respect you can get away with more :) The so so slight color looks awesome and gives it a real antique flair!

ditto. my OEC was a low G and I could see a very small hint of color. I think old stones with a little warmth really add to their charm if they are in an antique or antique looking setting. I do think they need to be seen in person b/c they can vary so much.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for all who replied. I just came from an antique store that has OEC. The first ring I looked at had a big ole'' chip on the side, small culet. The next ring was really pretty. It was a .25 oec diamond with four single cuts on the side. It was priced pretty reasonable. I louped it and it looked very clean and had the man not been so pushy, I just might have bought it. Too bad....it really called to me.
38.gif

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/18/2006 8:09:02 PM
Thanks for all who replied. I just came from an antique store that has OEC. The first ring I looked at had a big ole'' chip on the side, small culet. The next ring was really pretty. It was a .25 oec diamond with four single cuts on the side. It was priced pretty reasonable. I louped it and it looked very clean and had the man not been so pushy, I just might have bought it. Too bad....it really called to me.
38.gif
Gothgrrl,
another site to check out is www.antiqueengagementrings.com. He has some replica antique rings and some true vintage rings w/ gorgeous OEC''s and OMC''s.

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks dtnyc...I will check out that site.
35.gif

Gothgrrl

Brilliant_Rock
I forgot this is to Mrs.Salvo...thanks for all your help....you seem to help everybody on this site without judgement. You rock!
35.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oooooo, I am excited to see it when you get it!!! I just love antique rings and old cut diamonds. Beautiful!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you have a nice local jewelry store they may not have an OEC on display but may have a source for them. Stop in and tell them what you are looking for. One near me told me they get a couple in a year and usually send them to be recut into RB. But if I was willing to wait and wait they would sell me the OEC without recutting it. Just a matter of waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results