shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC questions and evaluation help

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1328636686|3120938 said:
First offf, you save money buying on ebay. BUT there are caveats. You must accept the possibility of buying and returning a few diamonds before you find "the one". Two, you cannot trust pictures or what the vendors say about the stones, so there is mystery involved in buying (see again point 1). Three, there is the chance of having to make a dispute with ebay if you don't get what you want and the seller is a jerk. It is much more complicated than simply ordering that lovely AVR ;-) You don't get an upgrade policy. And with real antiques the cuts are quirky and won't be perfect. So it is not for everyone. That AVR will be beautiful, will have no issues of leakage or obtruction that even the best antique have to some degree, and it is a sure thing! So consider it strongly!

Also consider calling OWD for some more options. They also are much safer than ebay.

That said, I like this one. It looks lovely. I believe Gypsy also loves the look of this stone. It sold about 10 days ago for $2700. I would ask the vendor why it was returned, or if the buyer just did not pay (my guess). This setting is lovely too, IMO, and could be used or sold.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130642945015

**Note: I am not responsible for any negative outcomes if you buy this stone ;)) Buyer beware, proceed with all appropriate caution.

I just added this to my watch list. :naughty: Are you concerned at all about the 'couple of nicks' of the girdle? I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to submit to the polishing wheel! :o

sorry for the slight threadjack!

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1328652936|3121119 said:
First offf, you save money buying on ebay. BUT there are caveats. You must accept the possibility of buying and returning a few diamonds before you find "the one". Two, you cannot trust pictures or what the vendors say about the stones, so there is mystery involved in buying (see again point 1). Three, there is the chance of having to make a dispute with ebay if you don't get what you want and the seller is a jerk. It is much more complicated than simply ordering that lovely AVR ;-) You don't get an upgrade policy. And with real antiques the cuts are quirky and won't be perfect. So it is not for everyone. That AVR will be beautiful, will have no issues of leakage or obtruction that even the best antique have to some degree, and it is a sure thing! So consider it strongly!

Also consider calling OWD for some more options. They also are much safer than ebay.

That said, I like this one. It looks lovely. I believe Gypsy also loves the look of this stone. It sold about 10 days ago for $2700. I would ask the vendor why it was returned, or if the buyer just did not pay (my guess). This setting is lovely too, IMO, and could be used or sold.

**Note: I am not responsible for any negative outcomes if you buy this stone ;)) Buyer beware, proceed with all appropriate caution.

I just added this to my watch list. :naughty: Are you concerned at all about the 'couple of nicks' of the girdle? I'm not sure I'd be brave enough to submit to the polishing wheel! :o

hee hee- no worries- it's a beauty! I have a feeling at some point I'll be looking for a (smaller) actual antique diamond to play with and maybe I'll scour eBay then. :)

I did actually have two REALLY nice experiences with local jewelers over the last 2 months. One of them (the one we are most likely going through for the setting) I managed to luck out and get the owner when he was pinch hitting for his second who was out on vaca. He sat us down and gave us some basic education about what color range and clarity we might feel most comfortable with and got out several diamonds (including a H/A) and a scope to look through and I felt so much better for that. One lady at another store was very nice and brought out the book with all the certs in it so I could look through them at the same time as the diamonds and I got to see a fluorescing one ( :lickout: gotta get one like that, even a little one!), so the search has had some fun points at the BM's also. But this one today was just plain bad, which is too bad because they also had a setting I quite liked.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1328654153|3121135 said:
I just saw this on DB, it's well below your budget, and just .01mm shy of 6. There may be a thread on it here somewhere. I wish the pictures where a bit better, but from what I can see the faceting looks nice. It was meant for a pendant piece so I'm wondering if there are symetry issues? Anyway, it might be worth taking a look at...

http://diamondbistro.com/category/216/Natural-Diamond-Center/listings/25437/Old-European-Cut-Diamond-ring.html

pretty- thanks you for looking! That's such a lovely ring, I'd hate to mess with it!

Yes I need to get back with Adam at OWD on a couple of things. I was hoping for a pic of one that wasn't posted.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
athenaworth|1328726874|3121802 said:

ooo- dang- that's pretty! It looks a little too out of round for the setting we're going for and after much discussion with bf, we decided we needed to be sure on this ring to go with someone who has a return policy (and bf wants a cert for an ering). But, boy are we both hooked on the thought of the OECs and OMC's so I have a feeling at some point, on something less crucial we'll be hunting one of these little guys down. We both love the higher crowns and the overall look of them and I can see a halo on the horizon (albeit a little bit distant for now!) :Up_to_something:

Thanks so much for pointing it out. I've been combing DB every other day or so for interesting things. =)

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Christina...|1328652936|3121119 said:

Most old cuts have "mouse bites" I believe. You don't need to polish it unless it bothers you in most cases. If the stone has survived 100 years without crumbling to pieces it is not in imminent danger now either 8)

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
The first stone looks fairly out of round (more oval to me), since you mention not wanting to go that route. The 4th one you posted looks good but I think that is the one you said is no longer available. A bunch of PS'ers have worked with OWD and been happy as well.

I'm not the world's hugest fan of AVR's because I would prefer a truly old cut stone, but old stones can be warmer, have nicks, etc etc so a new stone cut like an old may be a great fit.

Def keep an eye on DB because it seems like OEC's go up there fairly often!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results