shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC question

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I spend way too long looking at pics and videos of OECs and there's something I wondered about - in a lot of the ones that have great light return, especially the newly cut precision ones, the central flowery facets look kinda like a navel.
Does it mean that the facets are 'on' and reflecting back?
This is an example of what I mean. Am I missing something?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
In the center of that stone you posted, the top of the center is "on" and is reflecting blue (sky). The bottom facets are mostly
off in this video due to the direction she is holding the stone(but would be turned "on" if the stone was moved a different direction.)

flowery facets look kinda like a navel

Not getting what you're saying here? Are you saying it looks like a belly button or just the center of the stone? Yes, it is the
center of the stone...does it look like a belly button...not to me (Or I dont think I would ever want an OEC :lol: ).

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1487003018|4128098 said:
In the center of that stone you posted, the top of the center is "on" and is reflecting blue (sky). The bottom facets are mostly
off in this video due to the direction she is holding the stone(but would be turned "on" if the stone was moved a different direction.)

flowery facets look kinda like a navel

Not getting what you're saying here? Are you saying it looks like a belly button or just the center of the stone? Yes, it is the
center of the stone...does it look like a belly button...not to me (Or I dont think I would ever want an OEC :lol: ).
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying - some of the OECs I see, especially the really nice light return ones, those central facets look like a navel rather than flower petals and I can't quite work out why these do but others don't - like is it the angle of those facets means they're all on or off at once instead of some being on and some being off when you look directly or is it the table size or what?
I've got an OEC/transitional atm and will look to upgrade in a few years so I'm partly fascinated and partly just trying to learn so I know what to look for when we come to upgrade (slightly complicated by being in NZ and having very few good OEC examples locally)

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No, no, not the culet. It's the facets around the culet, which are visible under the table and give the "petals" look - the ones circled below

compared to this example

Looking at them, is it just the difference between individual facets lighting up (last example) compared to lots lit up at once? (first two)
It doesn't seem to be in all lights/angles but it's really distinct when it's there.

fullsizeoutput_0.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f7.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_14f9.jpeg

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yeah that's exactly what I'm saying - some of the OECs I see, especially the really nice light return ones, those central facets look like a navel rather than flower petals and I can't quite work out why these do but others don't - like is it the angle of those facets means they're all on or off at once instead of some being on and some being off when you look directly or is it the table size or what?
I've got an OEC/transitional atm and will look to upgrade in a few years so I'm partly fascinated and partly just trying to learn so I know what to look for when we come to upgrade (slightly complicated by being in NZ and having very few good OEC examples locally)

Foxinsox, I know exactly what you are talking about and I have thought the same thing. I can see the navel look in the center of the new oec's and I actually own one "old" oec that has fabulous light return, Caysie of CvB says it would make the new AVR's jealous bc it is cut so well lol... and it has a tiny table and the center has that navel look. Personally I prefer the look under the table to be more floral looking. I think the "navel" is due to the smaller table so it almost cuts off the straight on view of the end of the petals because the table is smaller ( I don't know if that makes sense the way I said it), ...that's at least what I think I've noticed when I compare my oec's side by side..I can post pics side by side that probably explain better than my words do lol. Also in the pics above, I think I can see the "navel" look coincides with a smaller table. I'm sure there are other factors involved too...I just don't know what they are lol.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Foxinsox, I know exactly what you are talking about and I have thought the same thing. I can see the navel look in the center of the new oec's and I actually own one "old" oec that has fabulous light return, Caysie of CvB says it would make the new AVR's jealous bc it is cut so well lol... and it has a tiny table and the center has that navel look. Personally I prefer the look under the table to be more floral looking. I think the "navel" is due to the smaller table so it almost cuts off the straight on view of the end of the petals because the table is smaller ( I don't know if that makes sense the way I said it), ...that's at least what I think I've noticed when I compare my oec's side by side..I can post pics side by side that probably explain better than my words do lol. Also in the pics above, I think I can see the "navel" look coincides with a smaller table. I'm sure there are other factors involved too...I just don't know what they are lol.
I think you're totally right - that makes perfect sense really.
The thread on the custom cut AVR where dazzlerazzle says she was alarmed by the macro shot with the way the facets looked to be cut off before they rounded reminded me of that effect. I wonder if it's more striking in photos than in person. If you have side by sides of your stones, I'd love to see them!

Tourmaline

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I have tried, and cannot picture a belly button in any of the pictures you posted. I don't get it.

goldenfire

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think you're totally right - that makes perfect sense really.
The thread on the custom cut AVR where dazzlerazzle says she was alarmed by the macro shot with the way the facets looked to be cut off before they rounded reminded me of that effect. I wonder if it's more striking in photos than in person. If you have side by sides of your stones, I'd love to see them!
LOL So I just saw I never read this response or responded...but I am hunting for your ring thread so I came upon this...lol

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL So I just saw I never read this response or responded...but I am hunting for your ring thread so I came upon this...lol
Ha! Any luck on the thread?

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I looked at my OEC really quickly using the camera on my phone and I think mine doesn't have the flowery facets in the middle, so more resembles the second one you posted.

One thing I have noticed with this diamond (that I'm not sure would be an issue with flowery facets on a diamond but did prove to be with a moissanite) is there is no obstruction, so never darkness in the middle which drives me insane.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is not the best picture but it at least shows that mine doesn't have the flower

IMG_5990.JPG

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results