GMAC

Shiny_Rock
More

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I do see the leakage under the table on par with oldies but goodies

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks pretty but the shots are hard to really examine it. Can you get any macro's??? and what are the specs?

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I se my phone to macro and tried my ipad...its from jbeg L VS2 faces up like a J due to the flourescence and looks beautiful vanilla. Thin to slightly thick girdle, .91 ct.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
THAT MAKES IT EASY! LOL i did not notice the crown i just looked on Dave Atlas antique guide on saw all yhe specs of this stone did not only fall inder acceptable but excellent so that was my guide:)

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
weeeeeeelll.... if you've got Dave Atlas on your side... I think you're in good hands!! :wink2:

It is a beautiful stone - what are your thoughts? Are you hesitant? are you questioning it? Have you chatted about it with both Erica and / or Grace? Have you seen it with your own eyes (which is what I'm assuming, based on YOU posting these photos...) so do you love it when you look at it in all lighting conditions? Grocery store, candlelight, home, office, outside, etc. Clarity is amazing so I'm sure it's eye clean. Has your GF seen it? or is this a surprise? (sorry if those deets were somewhere and I've missed them...)

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Grace told me it was 100 times more beautiful in person and she was right its gorgeous and i wouldnt even posted it im so sure i love it the only reason i did was I thought i was going to buy something else so took me by suprise and after several emails she told me I had a great eye and to trust it so i purchased.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: Well, I think you seem pretty happy - and faith in your purchase has to count for a pretty large percentage of 'happiness factor'!! It is a gorgeous stone - I'm sure you will both enjoy it for many years to come - its got a great spread to it and wonderful facets!!!

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Enerchi!!!!!! Hopefully I get the okay from other folks on here too! I have my three day inspection, just received it today.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
*bump

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Do you have the link to it on JBEG? I'd be curious to see their photos too.

OEC's are chameleons and have individual personalities. If you love it in person that's really all that matters! It's helpful to have a 'cut guide' or specs to make you feel number-comfortable but for me OEC's shouldn't even be judged that way.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Any thoughts Mara? What do you think..

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I can't tell much at all from your photos except that its round :tongue:

Pics on JBEG's site look good, looks like nice classic patterning. Its funny, though, because it has a larger table and a shallower crown and depth... these are not typical features of "classic" OECs and are actually more typical of later old cuts (if anything is really "typical" at all). But the stone has short LGF like older old cuts. An unusual combination, and I can't really predict how it would all come together. So all I can say is see it in person, which you have, and take it in lots of different lighting to see what you think. I don't see anything to eliminate it from the information you gave. It boils down to personal preference and appeal.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Hi Dreamer,
thank you very much for chiming in. Enrichi mentioned the crown height as well. Sorry my pics are of such poor quality. What crown height should i be aiming for so that it is not too shallow, I know Mara said you cannot entirely use numbers when it comes to OEC's.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you ladies for the approval on my new stone (first oldie) I appreciate all of your feedback!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Nah, can't aim for anything in particular in terms of numbers because the appearance and patterning and performance of a diamond depends on the concert of a bunch of things: table, crown, pavilion, lower and upper halves, star size. And on and on. As I said, from the photos it appears that the proportions of this diamond are working well together, so the cutter must have done something right :tongue: The only question is if you want something different.

Sometimes in photos I see things that suggest to me that perhaps the proportions are not as good as they could be. Or the numbers could be so extreme that they would be unlikely, in my opinion, to work no matter the other parameters. But I dont think either of those is the case here. This is a diamond worth seeing in person, as you are doing.

Is there something about how it looks in person that you are not pleased about? If so I can maybe suggest things to look for to get a particular look. But as far as this particular stone your own impressions matter most at this point.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
Thank you so much Dreamer,

I love it in person, I had just contemplated buying one of the two rings that had been posted in a forum by you that are listed on diamond bistro, but was afraid of the no return policy if the diamond did not speak to me. Then I found this beauty and felt great because I could see it in person with no strings attached so just wanted to be sure about my purchase that I made the right choice and you have given me that confidence. I really appreciate you posting here.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it looks good based on JBEGs pics. It looks like classic patterning. The one thing I notice in the pics is that the center doesnt seem quite as symmetrical or lively as I would like, but I tend to like later OECs with more precise patterning for the most part. Though sometimes older OECs with the flower pattern can really speak to you when You see them. That's why I say if your eyes love it then you're good :)

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I sort of enjoy the random patterning in the center or faceting under the table, if too symmetrical then there is too much perfection and looks modern RB like to my eye.That is why OEC's are so fun, so personal and really boils down to preference. I did email Grace about the lack of liveliness that appeared in some of the photos, I referred to it as unlit facets and she assured me that the entire stone appeared to be lit up. Upon arrival and being viewed in person this was no longer an issue. Thank you so very much! :wavey:

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think there's potential for darkness problems. In half your pictures, this problem shows up, even when the stone is tilted. Everyone is hinting at it in this thread but you can see it with your eyes and we can't. I would get one of Jon's AVRs to compare. Of course a diamond in real life is going to look 100 times better in person than in flat pictures. But how good does it look compared to a really good looking diamond?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
An AVR is a totally different type of cut that this one, styled much more after the early american cut than after earlier OECs like this one. I don't think its a fair or useful comparison at all from the perspective of evaluating a true antique diamond. In addition, the price is likely 2x. I like the cut of AVRs, but it is not the benchmark of cut for true antiques in my opinion.

In my experience, some under-table darkness is fairly ubiquitous in old cuts. The exception being the later styles with better symmetry and slightly longer lower halves. But that is a look the OP just said she does not prefer.

GMAC

Shiny_Rock
I have no expectation for an old cut like this with all of its charm to perform as an AVR does. I did own an AVC for a short while and I am fully aware of how they perform. That is off topic though, Grace is great and would gladly take my stone after it's extended inspection period if there is too much potential for darkness so no worries, humble opinions were my reason for posting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results