shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Feedback Take 2! ASET, images, etc.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
My other thread got long, so I thought I'd post the new images I just received of the OEC I am considering here. I need to decide whether to pay to have the stone shipped to me to check out. This one got a thumbs up from my trusted vendor.

To recap:

3.04 carat J VS2
G/G
67 d 51 t
no flr, large culet
8.83 x 9.06 x 5.99

GIA cert is here: http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite?rep...ename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547

I'm awaiting some IRL photos and video to help me get a better feel for the facet pattern. Any thoughts on the ASET/IS images? What do the black "petals" in the center of the red/black image tell me? What about the fact that the multicolored image is more green than red toward the edges? (Yeah, I'm new to ASET and IS. Can you tell?) I know that antique OECs are about more than light return but this is still an important consideration for me.

Not sure about the white specks on center of the table. Looks from the cert like a crystal? I'm hoping it's less apparent in real life.

Any thoughts MUCH appreciated.

3_166.jpg
3_169.jpg 3_168.jpg 3_167.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ASET is okay, but I might skip it based on these images. I don't happen to have any great OEC ASET photos handy, but here is what mine looks like (and note, an OEC can be very beautiful without having an ASET like this, but you might want more red around the edges because that is what makes the stone look bigger or smaller..light return all the way to the edges). Please excuse my feeble attempt to edit out the vendor name!

aset_name_edited.jpg

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443753305|3933962 said:
Trying to find you some better OEC ASETs:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/3-02ct-q-r-vs1-round-diamond.html (a little more red near the edges)

There just aren't many OEC vendors who do ASETs and fewer who post them online. So I can really find more good examples for you.

Yes, that's the trouble exactly - I've seen the awesome ASETs for the new cut stones, like AVRs. But I have no idea what to expect from an ASET for a vintage stone because I just haven't seen too many of them. I'm wondering for example, would all of those stunners I see on the LAD and JBG websites have awesome ASETs? Or are they just beautiful and charming and that's why I love them, ASET aside? It's hard to tell.

One thing that's important to me is a defined crisp facet pattern. Should I expect that the stones with this characteristic will have a more defined pattern in the ASET as well?

How do I reconcile the ASET with the IS image? The IS has lots of red, including to the edges. But some of those areas are green on the ASET. Does that mean that there's light return, but just of a different type in the green versus red areas?

Thanks DS and thanks in advance to anyone else who can provide input.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably no OECs will have ASETs like newly cut ones, but I'd venture to say those two Tiffany and Cartier stones I posted on the other thread probably have a lot more red near the edges as they appear bright all the way across. I shouldn't have even posted mine, but I only did it to show you that you need red throughout the stone with some green here and there and not too much leakage which might appear white, gray, or black depending on the background. Can you see that the GOG stone I posted has a little more red reaching to the sides?

Green is okay. I am just not sure why there is darkness all the way around that diamond.

I think if you really love the actual photo of the diamond, just stop looking a the images and send for it. You will know if you absolutely love it and are excited about it. If you are uncertain, then that means return.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443756551|3933969 said:
Probably no OECs will have ASETs like newly cut ones, but I'd venture to say those two Tiffany and Cartier stones I posted on the other thread probably have a lot more red near the edges as they appear bright all the way across. I shouldn't have even posted mine, but I only did it to show you that you need red throughout the stone with some green here and there and not too much leakage which might appear white, gray, or black depending on the background. Can you see that the GOG stone I posted has a little more red reaching to the sides?

Yep and the GOG has a more "organized" pattern to the ASET. Very helpful - thank you DS. I am finding this "buying an OEC long distance" thing just very difficult! If I could sit down and see the stones in person it would be so much easier.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
camomof4|1443756760|3933970 said:
diamondseeker2006|1443756551|3933969 said:

Yep and the GOG has a more "organized" pattern to the ASET. Very helpful - thank you DS. I am finding this "buying an OEC long distance" thing just very difficult! If I could sit down and see the stones in person it would be so much easier.

I added more to my post above.

The difficulty of choosing long distance without being able to see a lot of OECs at one time is what really drove me to AVRs in the first place. But he doesn't even have anything anywhere near your specs, so I obviously am not recommending you go in that direction. I think you are just going to have to send for some to look at. Depending on your credit card limits, you may be able to look at more than one time for 24 hours and send them back. I had to see several AVRs to figure out which I liked best, so I'd probably have to look at 10 or 20 OECs! However, as you said, I do have a few on Erica and Grace's sites that appeal to me a lot and appear to have symmetrical facets and good light return.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Yeah, I think you're right, I'm just going to have to suck up the couple hundred dollars in shipping fees and see a bunch.

For me, more than the $$ for shipping, it's the feeling bad about sending a stone back. I know that seems silly, but I'm a major people pleaser. :shifty:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
camomof4|1443758497|3933978 said:
Yeah, I think you're right, I'm just going to have to suck up the couple hundred dollars in shipping fees and see a bunch.

For me, more than the $$ for shipping, it's the feeling bad about sending a stone back. I know that seems silly, but I'm a major people pleaser. :shifty:

Trust me, I understand that. But I would say up front...I am just learning about antique stones. I am not comfortable buying one until I see several stones to learn what my preferences are. So I may have you send me several (or order others elsewhere just to see) before making a decision. That is what I'd do.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443759292|3933983 said:
camomof4|1443758497|3933978 said:

Trust me, I understand that. But I would say up front...I am just learning about antique stones. I am not comfortable buying one until I see several stones to learn what my preferences are. So I may have you send me several (or order others elsewhere just to see) before making a decision. That is what I'd do.

This is smart. I should do this. I hate that feeling of letting people down. Like, if you think I should like it, then I WANT to like it. What is that???

In addition to the 3.04 J and the LAD 2.93 J (which is now on hold unfortunately), I've also been eyeing a 3.04 transitional cut stone. (I have another thread on that one somewhere.) I might just have to order them all up. Send me ALL the diamonds!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is exactly what I would do. Some vendors require a credit card to send a stone. I was able to see 2-3 at a time. I can't tell you how much that helped. Seeing a transitional is a very good idea as well. Some people have a preference for OECs or transitionals.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
The "tranny" is absolutely gorgeous - I love its more geometric facet pattern. However it's an L which I'm not quite sure about. Although it seems to face up rather white. But maybe I'm not color sensitive. What do you think? :confused: It's the one on the far left. The other stones are GIA Js. I probably just have to see it.

lstone2.jpg
lstone_0.jpg

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock
I own a 2.28 OEC from Jewels by Grace. My original e-ring is a superideal cut by Brian Gavin. I would call myself very color sensitive. My OEC is a GIA J and my original e-ring is an AGS G. I'm lucky to live close enough to Grace to see some of these stones in person before I purchased mine. I think if you know you are color sensitive you probably have to stick with J or higher colors. I was very worried about the J color initially but I've had my ring for more than 6 months now and the stone actually appears pretty white to me. I wouldn't call it icy white by any means but it's definitely not tinted. I saw another K stone next to the J stone when i was doing the viewing with Grace. I think K would be pushing it for me personally.

I have a post on my OEC if you want to take a look. I posted some comparison pictures against my G color MRB.

The difficult thing about buying an OEC is every OEC is different. It also takes patience to wait for the "perfect" stone to come by. The thing I love about OEC is that it's so different from a modern brilliant. After owning a "perfect" ideal cut, I love the idea of having another stone that is full of personality. You know you will not find another stone that looks like your OEC. I love the history and uniqueness.

I also feel that OECs and trannies look quite different. OECs have softer lines with the floral/petal pattern in the center. Trannies are more geometric with the sometimes checkerboard pattern in the center.

My advice is don't settle! Look for the stone that is perfect to you. You will be happy that you waited (and diamond price is dropping as we speak) :D

FightGravity

Shiny_Rock
I don't love the 3.04. It already faces up small, even for an OEC, and that is a lot of darkness around the edges - I just can't see paying the 3+ carat premium for a stone that is going to look quite a bit smaller than 3ct.

I still think that L tranny has a ton of potential, just depends on whether you like the color in person. And love that 2.93J as well although too bad it's on hold!

camomof4

Rough_Rock
FightGravity|1443882665|3934452 said:
I still think that L tranny has a ton of potential, just depends on whether you like the color in person. And love that 2.93J as well although too bad it's on hold!

I wonder if the L could be set in platinum :confused:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
An L is going to be warm. Yes, of course, you can set it in platinum, but just isn't going to be white. When I went to the PS get-together in Las Vegas in June, I roomed with brightice who has a gorgeous 4 ct GIA J color OEC. I am certain that would be my color limit for almost any stone unless I was trying to purposely get a light yellow diamond.

Guess what? I found some videos for you on OECs and ASETs! I need to watch them myself. He has so many videos and I sometimes happily find new ones that I needed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iJvva6kSW8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JA4CG91Hc&feature=youtu.be

Oh, and here is a picture with an L and M AVC with my G round brilliant to show actual color difference. They are beautiful in their own right, but L just does not look white in spite of what some photos look like. I am pretty color sensitive and can see the color difference in my AGS G and H stones side by side.

img_9534.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, and I love trannies and OECs! But I just know for myself, I want something whiter than L for my e-ring. Right hand rings are another matter and I might have more variety on that hand!

That said, there are people here with large stones below J color that they adore. So really, back to what we all have said, you are just going to have to send for some to look at and further define your preferences.

I'd check with Erica about the 2.93 if you are interested in seeing it. I feel like I saw somewhere on social media that they were maybe going to set that stone. I am not sure if that means it is sold or they are going to set it and then sell it. But maybe nothing has been done yet. Definitely contact her and ask.

camomof4

Rough_Rock
Thanks! Pictures very helpful. I'm thinking an L might be pushing it for me too, esp since my current stone is a G. That's quite a jump. I am just in love with the faceting on that stone. Erica did say it faces up much whiter than L, but it's probably all in the eye of the beholder.

I'll check in on that 2.93. It's slightly off round, from the photos? I wonder if that would bother me. But the faceting is great. (I like both OEC and tranny faceting.) What about it grabbed you, out of curiosity? I'm having fun learning over here!

camomof4

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1443923424|3934628 said:
Guess what? I found some videos for you on OECs and ASETs! I need to watch them myself. He has so many videos and I sometimes happily find new ones that I needed!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iJvva6kSW8&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2JA4CG91Hc&feature=youtu.be

Thank you for these! I actually found those too and watched them the other day. All the GOG videos are super helpful. I think I'm starting to get a bit of a feel for the ASETs.

This is the only other info I've gotten on the 3.04 J stone. I can't tell much from these magnified videos though unfortunately. Can you?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frek7qI0nGs&feature=youtu.be

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well you were good to find those videos in the sea of so many!

I am not sure about that video of the 3 ct stone. It shows some black in the center when it faces the camera which may not be a good thing. It is not a bad OEC. But I think you can do better. Regarding the 2.93, I'd have to see it in real life to know if it's diameter issues would bother me. I don't necessarily see that in the more distant pictures, but if I could in person at normal viewing distance, then I would say it would have to be set in a halo to disguise that. I think it has a pretty nice facet pattern and appears to have decent light return. But I would likely want mine more round, too, although a lot of OECs have wonky diameter measurements, unfortunately. I think I was just using it as an example as a less expensive alternative to the more expensive one you were looking at, but in reality, there is no point in sending for a stone to look at that has a feature you are sure you don't want. Shipping can get expensive, so reserve that for stones that are likely contenders. You could check with Old World Diamonds, too. You can also ask him for a price on your current diamond if he'd consider taking it as a partial trade.

dontaskme

Rough_Rock
Erica is keeping that 2.93 and they have designed a setting for it, she may still sell it though?

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1444018622|3934891 said:
Well you were good to find those videos in the sea of so many!

I am not sure about that video of the 3 ct stone. It shows some black in the center when it faces the camera which may not be a good thing. It is not a bad OEC. But I think you can do better.

I agree with DS. It's just not a particularly pretty stone to me. You can do better, camomof4!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results