shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC Engagement Ring Insurance Issue!!

aim733

Rough_Rock
Hello,

My ring was purchased on ebay with a bit of uncertainty. It turned out to be a great purchase and I love it. Being an antique, I wanted a qualified appraiser to get the correct valuation for my ring. My GIA appraiser information came back as a 1930's platinum ring, OEC 1.42 carats, I color and VS1clarity. The appraisal notes "this diamond contains small chips on two bezel facets" and "the clarity grade of this diamond is based only on the very minor internal flaws; this is because should this diamond ever be damaged of lost, the insured would replace it with a diamond without the surface blemish chips on the two bezel facets."

A few weeks after taking this appraisal to State Farm, I got notification that they are unable to issue an insurance policy due to chipped and damaged stones not being covered. My appraiser said this comes up 1/2 the time, but some providers will allow coverage with documentation of the chipped area. He suggested Jewelers Mutual, but their site says they do not cover antiques.

Any suggestions of insurance providers that might insure this or do I pay to get it buffed out? Removing the diamond from the detailed setting makes me a bit nervous. I also don't like the idea of paying to make the diamond smaller/less valuable. What about another appraisal that might not be as detailed about the chips?

This site was very valuable during my search for a ring. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

IMG_1129-1.jpg

MVC-001S.JPG

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd probably have the stone polished so you can get the coverage from state farm.

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi! First congrats on your engagement and the beautiful ring from eBay! It's beautiful!

Your thread had me worried bc my bf and I had planned on insuring my ring through JM and so I called and spoke to someone in regards to insuring antique/estate jewelry. The lady informed me they have recently changed their policies to insure antique/estate items now. They didn't before bc they didn't have any vendors/etc to recommend or to help replace older pieces or stones. However they now do insure these pieces due to the increase in popularity of antique and antique style jewelry.

The only thing is that the appraisal needs to be in the last 18 months or sooner. So I'd give them a call and double check. Hope this helps!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi, what a gorgeous ER! Congratulations!

I just switched my jewelry insurance to PURE and they are covering my jewelry as a cash out policy based on a recent appraisal. I don't know if they insure antiques but I recommend giving them a call as they are a stable company with a high rating and they will cover jewelry based on what it is worth and pay you the value if you need to use it.

Here is their contact info:
PURE Insurance
Tel: 1-888-813-7873
Fax: 914-513-2794

aim733

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help guys! Pure isn't offered in my state, but I will give JM a call to see if they would be able to insure my damaged stone. I am still hoping I will be able to avoid having it polished.

iluvdiamonds2

Brilliant_Rock
Try Jewelers Mutual. I have my tranny there.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results