shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC adventures and a trip to LA

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
So I am starting a thread on this project because it’s a bit more of an adventure than my usual ones.

For several years now I’ve been wanting to get an OEC three stone. My best friend’s mother has one and every time I see her I drag it off her finger to try on and drool. However where I live old cuts don’t exist. This country is new, the jewellery is new, there is really no concept of “antique” in diamonds here (although there is a long and wonderful history in pearls which I have yet to delve into).

I’ve looked at some old cuts when back in the U.K. but they are so prohibitively expensive, and also extremely hard to come by (so many have been recut).

So that left the US.

I’m an avid searcher of Instagram when it comes to gems and jewellery but never managed to stumble across the right combination of specs and price. Until a few weeks ago.

A jeweller in the US that I follow had posted an OEC on his Instagram page and, more out of curiosity than anything, I asked for the price. It was a lot more reasonable than I thought. Then, also just on the off chance, I joked “I don’t suppose you’ve got a pair of matching OECs to go with that?!”. Guess what? He did!

Now I admit that I am a bit of an impulse buyer but this was another scale. I just said, go for it.

Over the past couple of weeks he sent me a CAD, which we refined a bit.

Here is the first draft. Based on an inspo photo I sent.

94390524-02CD-4F07-9468-EFC89299A819.jpeg

I loved the side view but the prongs at 6 o’clock and 12 o’clock bothered me. I also felt the shoulders needed to swoop a little more, the shank should be rounded so it felt less modern and the platinum basket and prongs be a little more delicate - but still sturdy.

So I provided some feedback and eventually settled on an eight prong setting instead of six. Which I feel has a more old-world feel. The modified shank and shoulders I think give it more elegance but it’s still robust enough to last as a heirloom piece.

237FCF26-DF8E-4875-9B43-C885885CDB22.jpeg

Having agreed the design, the work is now in progress. So I turned to a tax calculator to work out the import duty on this little prize. Well 10% tax on arrival added up to quite a sum. I joked to my husband it would be cheaper to fly to LA and pick it up myself.

Then on a whim I decided to actually google how much a flight to LA would cost. My jaw nearly hit the floor when I saw I could get there for $650. With a stop over in London to see my mother on the way!

That was it. I booked the flight then and there. So beginning of March I’m off for a long weekend (3 nights) to the City of Angels!

If anyone has any tips on “must not miss” sights in LA please let me know!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
That’s awesome!!! So excited for you! And you have me curious which vendor now bc there are so many. What a steal of a ticket too! What are your interests (besides jewels haha). That would help with recs.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes! What @Mreader said! :)

Plus show us your OEC’s?!?!?!?

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
Oh what fun!!! Good for you and I look forward to reading about your adventures-and of course, seeing the three stone OEC!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I can't wait to see it! Happy adventures.

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Echoing all above! Fun, saving money, and OECs. Can’t wait to see the final reveal.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m so excited for you! My plan was also to fly to LA to reset my ACA..and then Covid hit. I can’t wait to see your ring..and hear of your adventure!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
This is how far we have got with the making…

D89C9A06-2DF9-45A8-BB78-DB6D5A316174.jpeg

I am super excited about visiting LA. I haven’t been before - only to San Francisco. The jet lag might just kill me but I’m determined to see as much as I can.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Would you not still be liable to pay the tax as you’d be effectively importing the ring to wherever you live?

lala646

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, can't wait to see the ring! If you're nerdy, the La Brea Tar Pits were way more interesting than I thought they would be.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Would you not still be liable to pay the tax as you’d be effectively importing the ring to wherever you live?

Rules are different depending on the province. I would fly in and out of a different region than the one I would have to have the ring shipped to. If required I could have the stones unset for the trip and reset here - loose diamonds are duty free and up to 20g of gold jewellery is permitted without tax payable. But frankly that seems like idiocy to me.

Technically I would also be importing to re-export (no tax payable) as I am not a permanent resident here and would eventually be moving back to my birth country, taking the ring with me.

However when DHL or UPS or whoever are delivering to my residence a flat duty rate is applied and the process to attempt to claim anything back is impossible to navigate - as you would expect in a non-western country, which is completely new to the entire concept of tax. We have no income tax here and VAT was only introduced a couple of years ago. This is the wild east!

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, can't wait to see the ring! If you're nerdy, the La Brea Tar Pits were way more interesting than I thought they would be.

I just had to look that up - I definitely want to go there! (I am rather nerdy!).

maryjane04

Brilliant_Rock
Oh this will be beautiful. I love the oec three stone with the crown looking gallery.
Also lovely that you get to visit your mum too! Can't wait for March!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
I just had to look that up - I definitely want to go there! (I am rather nerdy!).

Oh yes good recommendation! Also the natural history museum.

Ionysis

Brilliant_Rock
I cannot believe it’s bloody SNOWING in Los Angeles.

I’m going next week and I’d planned on travelling light with a couple of sweaters. Was thinking how nice some cool spring sunshine would be.

Now it looks like I’m going to have tot bring a damn overcoat!! What is going on FGS?!

Mreader

Ideal_Rock

I’m going next week and I’d planned on travelling light with a couple of sweaters. Was thinking how nice some cool spring sunshine would be.

Now it looks like I’m going to have tot bring a damn overcoat!! What is going on FGS?!

It’s bonkers. But in a week it could be dramatically different! Fingers crossed!

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
Rules are different depending on the province. I would fly in and out of a different region than the one I would have to have the ring shipped to. If required I could have the stones unset for the trip and reset here - loose diamonds are duty free and up to 20g of gold jewellery is permitted without tax payable. But frankly that seems like idiocy to me.

Technically I would also be importing to re-export (no tax payable) as I am not a permanent resident here and would eventually be moving back to my birth country, taking the ring with me.

However when DHL or UPS or whoever are delivering to my residence a flat duty rate is applied and the process to attempt to claim anything back is impossible to navigate - as you would expect in a non-western country, which is completely new to the entire concept of tax. We have no income tax here and VAT was only introduced a couple of years ago. This is the wild east!

For what it’s worth, if you take possession of the ring in California, you will be liable for sales tax, our version of VAT. If you ship it out of state, you won’t.

lala646

Brilliant_Rock

I wouldn't expect it to be cold still come March. This is a truly unusual cold snap for southern CA. I would expect mid-50's to possibly even lower 60's. Jacket weather, not coat weather. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/los-angeles/90012/daily-weather-forecast/347625

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
This is going to be a gorgeous presence on your hand!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have a great time on your trip @lonysis. The ring sounds beautiful. I can’t to see it finished and on your finger.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
Oh my gosh, I love this story! Not only will you have an amazing ring, but what an adventure to go along with it!

There's a vintage/estate jewelry store in LA that's wonderful, but the name is slipping my mind at the moment. I'll pop back by when I remember it.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
cannot believe it’s bloody SNOWING in Los Angeles.

I told you it was cold here!!!! It's still supposed to be in the 50s and hopefully mid-60s when you arrive. I wear a sweater and parka lately, especially at night.

This was a couple miles away. I don't live in the mountains, but there is a pass through the hills nearby that is at about 2500' elevation.
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 3.46.22 PM.png

And this was from Target. We usually have a couple days of snow on the peak a year.
Screenshot 2023-02-26 at 3.55.32 PM.png

So, what to do in LA? Go to Griffith Park and look over the city, enjoy the observatory. The view is beautiful!
I love the beaches and visit often as I live close. I'm partial to Orange County beaches, although I love the No California coast. Stunning!
You don't have much time and LA is so big. The Tar Pits and Griffith Park are semi-close to each other. Beverly Hills is fun to drive through, and Sunset Blvd. can be a pretty drive if you head west to Beverly Hills. You can even stop somewhere with the Hollywood sign in the background and snap a phot with your bling!

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW! It's gorgeous @Ionysis! I love the proportions and the diamonds are beautiful. Congratulations!

kah42

Shiny_Rock
So pretty! Are you happy with it?

rcjtraveler

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! Looks lovely on you.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results