shape
carat
color
clarity

OdysseyGem/vvs1gem feedback!

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Howdy everyone, I've spent the better portion of the morning looking up for places to shop for tanzanite which have been mentioned here and I came across OdysseyGem and have read a few positive/solid feedback comments from a year and 2 years ago.

Has anyone purchased anything from them/him (Tan?) recently? I'm looking to purchase a tanzanite which I will be setting for a pendant. I got some great suggestions and help when I purchased an engagement ring online last year from you guys so I'm hoping for another excellent buy!

Thank you!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I've bought several stones from Tan, and a 3.44 greenish yellow chrysoberyl recently. I can say that the stones are representative of the photos and videos. In my case, they look better in real life.

Also, Tan is really good with returns, although I've never had that issue. I always kept the stones I received from him.

You can also email him and tell him what type of stone you're looking for, and he can keep your request in mind when he updates his inventory.

I don't have any experience with tanzanite, but I've been told that tanzanite is a relatively soft stone, so just a precaution if you're looking for something that requires daily wear.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide to do.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
I'll ditto Platinumrock

usually they look better than on his site :D

OH and as for tanzanite... this one is from Tan

gemsny 010.jpg

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the information y'all! And my what a beautiful stone that is! davi! I'm assuming that's out in bright daylight, it looks stunning! What specs and color is that stone if you don't mind me asking? I'm torn between all the beautiful shades that tanzanite can come in.

Davi I just went through a couple of your threads and found some other pictures of your pear tanzanite and they do not do it justice like the pic u posted here! I also saw the most recent emerald cut you purcahsed (from somewhere else I know). This is the kind of look I am looking for when outside in the natural daylight.

What do you two think this one will look like and in general? There are a few much cheaper ones that I fear will be too light in comparison. Thoughts?

http://odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=1507

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
That's because that one I posted is new :D it's a 1.44ct 8.9x6mm

Yep the first pic is direct sunlight. Sometimes in that lighting a stone can "black out" something to watch out for when you get into the deeper colors.

Here they are together with an old mine diamond

That picture is diffused natural lighting

The other pear tanzi is quite light in tone, but gives a good electric purple. The new one is definitely "better" in color and saturation. Let us see if this link works http://vi.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI...e&category=4195&bv=mozilla&nv=2&sd=3&caz.html It does! That's the video and stills from the listing.

As for the one you posted :D I like it

I love trillions and the color is great. I only worry that it may be too dark in tone. I prefer my stones on the lighter side of medium so it may just be personal preference. The video shows a lot of camera reflection, it won't be black like in the video but I bet it may be a bit inky.

gemsny 023.JPG

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Fantastic, I very much like the newest pear tanzanite you have there. And thank you for the link to your old listing! I totally agree that the one I linked will probably look on the darker side which I don't think I want. I definitely like the radiant royal blue color/look from that one you have there.

http://odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=1643

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-87ct-Dynamic-Heart-Natural-Rich-Violet-Blue-Tanzanite-/350196119829?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item518950b915

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-52ct-Breathtaking-AAA-Intense-Violet-Blue-Tanzanite-/350260930293?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item518d2da6f5

http://odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=1570

What do you think about those?

I'm leaning towards the middle two but I can't decide which one I like the best!

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Oh wow thank you for looking through all of those! I saw 2 of the 4 you linked me earlier today but figured they had too many visible inclusions. I did however fall in love with the hear cut you linked which is on the high end of my budget. Do you have any experience with white gold settings for pendants in cost by any chance?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-47ct-Distinction-Heart-Vivid-Violetish-Blue-Tanzanite-/370283247253?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item563699f695

Was this the one you said looked a bit windowed? http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-52ct-Breathtaking-AAA-Intense-Violet-Blue-Tanzanite-/350260930293?pt=Loose_Gemstones_1&hash=item518d2da6f5

I don't care for the oval cut ( I love the trillion and heart cut) but it looks like a solid choice and would free up some $$ for a nice chain and setting.

Btw I just turned 23 and am working with a student budget otherwise I would jump right on that heart cut without any hesitation =(
Here is the engagement ring I purchased last year; I showed here all the rings/diamonds I was considering and she def. agrees I made the best choice =O
:Edit: http://i.imgur.com/6uNMC.jpg- This link does the ring better justice than the one bellow =)

ring1_14.jpg

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Yes that oval is the one that is windowed.

I think saving for the right one is your best bet! I used to just by things because they were cheap and alright... now I look for cheap and awesome :lol: although when you see awesome the definition of cheap changes :lol:

Setting you're looking at with gold's current sky high price anywhere between 100-150 for the setting alone on the heart shape I posted. the trill you posted about the same. The chain, about 75-100 as well. Those are for stock pieces. Custom... who knows :errrr:

That ring is really pretty! Are the stones in the band french cut?

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Well the oval one is now disappointing =(

I really shouldn't but I may just go for that stunning heart cut you linked me. :love:

I'll drop by a couple jewelers I've used in the past to see what they quote me on setting and chain.

Thank you! They are princess cut channel set although from the angle I can see they look a bit simpler.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1314131683|2997676 said:
I'll ditto Platinumrock

usually they look better than on his site :D

OH and as for tanzanite... this one is from Tan

Whoa, Crasru, the color on that tanzy is insane!! It looks like blue kryptonite. :cheeky:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Thank you! I've actually been online for most of today looking at as many options as I can and I have gotten nowhere lol. I have seen most of those you linked and I just can't decide. The picture that davi posted of his direct sunlight pear is AMAZING and that's actually exactly the luster I am looking for which is I think is a violetish-blue color and hue.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
What is your minimum carat range, budget and shape preference? And how forgiving are you of inclusions?

If you're looking for a stone like Davi's, it may take a little longer to find "the one" and you may have to spend more money.

ETA: Davi, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize I've been calling you Crasru until now. Feeling like a moron. lol

Hope you can forgive me! :wavey:

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
I'm not sure about carat range, I just want it to look nice around her neck so over 1.2ish carat on the low end. Budget for the stone only, I can't really spend much more than $550ish. I think the cut she will love the most is the trillion cut. I know for a fact she will love the blue more than purple/violet colors and hues. I have a few months so I'm more than willing to wait to find the right one!
As far as inclusions go, I've seen some beautiful stones with big noticeable slashes across the front and that's just no good =(

It's just that since there are so many combinations of colors for tanzanite, I want to make sure I know what to look for to ensure I pick the right one the first time so I don't have to worry about sending it back or missing out on one.

so to sum it up:

Strong blue color
<1.2 carat
Trillion cut
~$550
VS or better

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
platinumrock|1314160897|2998053 said:
What is your minimum carat range, budget and shape preference? And how forgiving are you of inclusions?

If you're looking for a stone like Davi's, it may take a little longer to find "the one" and you may have to spend more money.

ETA: Davi, I'm so sorry. I didn't realize I've been calling you Crasru until now. Feeling like a moron. lol

hahhahaha :D

No problemo, I just imagined having her Lisa Esler tanzanite and everything was forgiven :lol:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
davi_el_mejor|1314203703|2998293 said:
platinumrock|1314160897|2998053 said:

hahhahaha :D

No problemo, I just imagined having her Lisa Esler tanzanite and everything was forgiven :lol:

Whew, thanks Davi! :bigsmile:

I didn't even know Crasru had a Lisa Elser tanzy. Off to check it out.

Aggieman, a few months should be enough time to find some good options. Let me see what I can find for you. If you ever get impatient and feel the impulse to buy, the 2.47 heart shape would be a good choice. It's a good size, has a lot of the elements you're looking for, and it's within your budget (assuming your fiance likes the heart shape).

AggieMan

Rough_Rock
Thanks you so much for the suggestions and advice you two. I will be holding off until I find something she really likes. I know for a fact she loves the trillion cut more so then the heart cut so I will keep checking the sites with high frequency. I will post when I find the right one!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
You're welcome! Good luck with your search, and I can't wait to see what you choose.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results