shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd Question: Guitar Player and Man''s wedding ring- Verticalhorizon, you out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
I know this a very specific question, so I don''t know if I will get a response. I noticed that "verticalhorizon aka Groomzilla" owns the same Les Paul that I bought for my guy, so if you are out there, I''d love to get your opinion...

My guy is a musician and spends most of his time with a guitar strapped on his body. He has a hard time playing with a ring on his wedding finger. Does anyone have a suggestion of a style that won''t hinder his playing?

He has mentioned that he could wear it on his right hand, but honestly, I don''t like that idea.

He is a punk/ rock ''n roll guy, so his style is not very traditional in appearance (unlike me- I''m more conservative: ie. my hair doesn''t change color weekly
2.gif
, and I don''t have an affinity for multiple tatoos on my bod, tee hee). He likes the look of titanium.
Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?

Thanks Mucho!!!!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Hey Kaili-

I was just thinking Titanium when I read your last line... It's so light he may find it the least noticeable thing to wear.
1.gif

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Q,
I can always count on you to help me out! Thank you so much. I haven't yet done all my research on Titanium, so it is good to know that it is light. That would definitely make a difference.
Thank you, doll!
wavey.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
1.gif
You're welcome!

You might want to check out the FAQ at boonerings.com... there's some good info on Ti there. My personal experience is that it doesn't ding up hardly at all, especially compared to gold and platinum. I can't believe how scratch-free my ring still is compared to my gold bands... also, you might want to consider something with a comfort fit, rounded both on the inside and the outside to make it even less noticeable... Just some thoughts.
1.gif

Here are some rings that I think are really cool from boonerings...especially keeping in mind you're shopping for a rock star!/idealbb/images/smilies/2.gif

alienskin.jpg
wavydual.jpg

mokume.jpg
dwoi.jpg

barelythere.jpg

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Tee hee, he will love that you called him a rockstar... working very hard to get there
2.gif

Those rings are fantastic!! I'm going to go do some research with the leads you gave me, and see what I can find.

YOU are the rockstar!
2.gif

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Newlywed husbands are often caught off guard by having to wear a ring perhaps for the first time ever. The weight is sometimes an issue. Losing it is often an issue.

I think rock star husbands would more likely be used to wearing rings or jewelry already, but I'm afraid to say if a guitarist is to wear one... it will most likely be on his right hand (if there's a choice).

For my experience, it's not the weight, but getting used adjusting your style with rings on your left hand if you've spent years without wearing one.

If he's a righty, his left hand is working the neck of the guitar. Sometimes the ring get's caught on higher strings (B or E in standard tuning). I would recommend going to a cheap sidewalk stand and get a bunch of different styles to try out first.

I think a ring with a low diameter (something flat), but with rounded edges would be ideal. The thicker the cross section of the ring, the more it will mess with his chords, esp. bar chords.

The first picture offered in this thread would be ideal if the edges were softer and rounder. The last one is the worst, b/c it provides even more opportunity to get caught on something. It's a touch challenge, I'll admit, b/c there's a functionality aspect to it. You shouldn't feel upset if after he makes his initial desicion, if he has to trade it for a different style. Maybe you should make sure to make it out of gold so it can be melted down and remade!

Plenty of married guitarists out there, so it shouldn't be too bad! Good luck.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
The main problem is that the wedding band discourages groupies.....KIDDING!!!!!!!!

As a guitar player I can tell you that many find it impossible to play with a ring on their left hand.

Maybe your guy will be able to overcome this- but if he can't, he's cerainly not alone.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 10/4/2004 4:33:39 PM diamondsbylauren wrote:

The main problem is that the wedding band discourages groupies.....KIDDING!!!!!!!!

Tee hee... I KNOW! Actually, it is great to have the groupies at the shows, so I don't want to discourage the fan base... but if they think they are getting anywhere- WATCH OUT, Hee hee
2.gif

I guess I could handle him wearing it on his right hand for shows and rehearsal, and then switching to left for "me time." It wouldn't kill me if he wears it on the right hand full time if it is a size issue, since I know it is just a symbol and I trust him implicitly.

Vertical, you are right... He is a righty and he has been playing for 15 years without a ring on his left hand. He is ok with one on the right, but when he switches sides, he has a tough time. You had a great idea- I think we will go down to Venice Beach and buy a bunch of cheap rings he can "play" around with. Your info on the styles is so helpful!

Since he likes Titanium and they don't seem to be very expensive, maybe that is the way to go in case we needed to buy a replacement. Also, getting gold that could be melted down is brilliant.

Thanks to everyone for your fantastic posts!! I may have a rock star in waiting, but it's an entirely new world to me.

verticalhorizon

Brilliant_Rock
Rock on!

Thank you Cleveland, we love you.... goodnight!
1.gif

boonerings

Shiny_Rock
The titanium rings shown can all be made in a thinner cross section as well. Some manufacturers do that and others don't have the option.

If light weight is the issue, I've seen one with a 0.3mm cross section, yet has rounded corners. It doesn't get much lighter than that. Gold will dent and deform easily before it could ever get that thin.

Kaili

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Bruce!
I'm going to get him to sit down at the computer and take a look at your site. I think that titanium is definitely the way to go.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results