shape
carat
color
clarity

Odd coffee shop experience

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/21/2006 7:57:17 PM
Author: Mara
people touching my table on the ring drives me nuts too! greg knows it and whenever he wants to totally tease me, he grabs my hand and plants a big thumb on the table!! ARGH!
if you and I were friends I''d probably do that to you too LOL Then you''d do it back and we''d just HAVE to clean them hehehe

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
He probably didn''t mean anything by it...but eww, I would not have liked that. It is definitely a personal space issue, and it makes the diamond dirty LOL!!!

portoar

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe it was a spontaneous reaction to your bling. A co-worker just got a blingy 2 carat engagement ring and what did I do when she showed it to me? Planted my big ole finger right on the diamond, and I know better . . . I think some of us like diamonds and just want to reach out and touch them . . .
30.gif

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i think he was doing you a kindness. at least here in texas it wouldn''t be any big deal.

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/23/2006 7:16:41 AM
Author: ladykemma
i think he was doing you a kindness. at least here in texas it wouldn''t be any big deal.

My engagement ring had such small stones (two 1-point stones nestled in a gold oval) that I didn''t have to obsess about their brilliance. Either I am just too laid back or too old to care now. Or maybe it is that in Connecticut (my real home), as in Texas, it wouldn''t be any big deal. I never took a poll there ;-).

Deb
34.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
I bet the guy has OCD and just reacted out of instinct. I have an autistic student in my elective class, and on the second day of school he got out of his seat while we were working on a project, planted himself Indian style on the floor in front of my desk, and began peeling off little bits of tape that had been left from something that had once been taped there. It was very strange, but he wasn''t aware that it was a social faux pas and obviously was just bothered by the tape''s presence.

I was also helping a new teacher use her computer and was pointing to what she needed to click on when she said huffily, "UM, can you NOT touch my screen??!!" You never know what will bother someone or what someone will think is ok to say/do.

That said, I think what the guy did was weird because a) diamonds are expensive and shouldn''t be touched without permission, b) he was a stranger, and c) people shouldn''t be touched without permission either. :) I had a student (15 year old male) try to grab my hand or ring to look at it a few years ago when I was pointing to something on his desk. I yanked my hand away before he could, which made him pout. As a teacher, you have to protect yourself. Of course, sometimes kids hug you, and I even got a kiss on both cheeks by this Brazilian boy I had last year (after he was no longer my student . . . obviously I thought it was questionable but didn''t want to hurt his feelings), but I certainly don''t let anyone grab my hand.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
Some people (including strangers) just like to grab sometimes. I think it''s kind of funny if I''m in a public place and don''t feel threatened. If it''s admiring, now I am fine with it.

When I was newly engaged I was soooo sensitive to people grabbing my hand and touching the diamond. But now, I whack it around so much and it''s gotten so dirty at times -- I am much more laid back about it. I catch myself polishing it up now and then & religiously use the US...

But out and about, smudginess doesn''t even seem to affect the brilliance that much so long as the diamond is cleaned at least once a day. I think it was mental peace of mind that made me so afraid of the smudgies when I first got my ring! Now, I shrug and polish with a smile. Funny how time changes everything!!!
41.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/23/2006 10:39:34 AM
Author: Julian
Some people (including strangers) just like to grab sometimes. I think it''s kind of funny if I''m in a public place and don''t feel threatened. If it''s admiring, now I am fine with it.

When I was newly engaged I was soooo sensitive to people grabbing my hand and touching the diamond. But now, I whack it around so much and it''s gotten so dirty at times -- I am much more laid back about it. I catch myself polishing it up now and then & religiously use the US...

But out and about, smudginess doesn''t even seem to affect the brilliance that much so long as the diamond is cleaned at least once a day. I think it was mental peace of mind that made me so afraid of the smudgies when I first got my ring! Now, I shrug and polish with a smile. Funny how time changes everything!!!
41.gif
my ring is very firey and not very brilliant, but when it gets all smudgy and dirty it gains in brilliance big time. When it''s super dirty it looks more like a diamond usually does and is still quite attractive, even more attractive in a conventional sense. It just doesn''t do the super tricks as well lol

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Something just slightly different for me this week. I was in a book store and the uber-friendly saleslady said," Wow, is that your original e-ring????" I''ve had questions about it before, and have perfected the "snatch away the hand" before anyone puts the dreaded fingers on the table, but never that question.

I must have been looking pretty long in the tooth that day for that observation. LOL

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Naah you didn''t look old. It''s just that your ring is so large/fabulous that she thought it must be an upgrade.
9.gif

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/28/2006 10:45:14 AM
Author: Stone Hunter
Naah you didn''t look old. It''s just that your ring is so large/fabulous that she thought it must be an upgrade.
9.gif
Thanks, Stone Hunter, you just made my day!!!
36.gif

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
Little late to respond, but that would totally creep me out...although could be b/c I''m from Boston where unforseen touching or even talking to is met with discomfort.

Julian

Brilliant_Rock
You know, I have been guilty (in a way) of being a toucher! We were in church a week ago and the minister said, "OK, it's time to greet your neighbors and say good morning!"

So I turn to the woman next to me and when we shook hands, I kind of used 2 hands because she seemed sad and I wanted to give her a warm handshake... you know? But my other hand totally touched her diamond ring and it was a big one. I am sure there was a big fingerprint on the table!

I wanted to apologize, "Sorry, I touched your table by accident!" But thought, "Wait, if she's not a diamond fan -- she'll think I'm nuts." So I just smiled said, "Good morning!" But inside I was horrified that I'd left a print on her diamond! Eeek!

LOL. But to be fair, if the diamond if big -- it takes up a lot of the hand so there's more chance of leaving a print when shaking hands or handing things over, right? I think hers was about a 6 ct. emerald cut with a halo.

bookworm21

Brilliant_Rock
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Sorry, I couldn''t help laughing at how many diamond obsessed freaks we have here on this board (myself included!
9.gif
)

That was a weird experience, Blenheim, and I think he was probably OCD. But think about how most of us here also fall into the OCD category. I ultrasonic my little baby ring twice a day!

CaptAubrey

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/20/2006 11:27:05 PM
Author:Blenheim
As I reached out with my left hand to give my money to the cashier, he reached out, planted his finger on the table of my diamond, re-adjusted it so it was centered on my finger
I do this to Mrs. Aubrey''s ring all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results